PDA

View Full Version : Rates of Pay: A/G and FISO

Tee
15th Mar 2002, 12:26
Does anyone know what the going rate is for an Air/Ground Operator and a FISO? I know that at some airfields, A/G is provided by volunteers but I would imagine that most FISOs are paid.

Whirlybird
15th Mar 2002, 14:03
I don't know about "going rates", but at Sleap the A/G operators get between £3 and £4 an hour, added to your account to be used for flying. So not quite volunteers, only nearly.

Chilli Monster
15th Mar 2002, 18:10
Shot in the dark but based on what I know FISO's used to get you're probably looking at £15-17K (approx) full time, obviously becoming someting similar pro-rata for a part timer. . .. .The amount Whirly quotes for A/G is fairly close to the mark for places that pay them in currency (as opposed to flying).. .. .CM

Rusty Cessna
15th Mar 2002, 19:53
Are there many oportunities to do this on a part time, volunteer basis, or do most aerodromes have enoug people? . .. .Cheers,. .Rusty

DodgyFlyer
15th Mar 2002, 22:31
Could someone please tell me how you can become an A/G operator and a FISO?

Tee
15th Mar 2002, 23:14
I should have said in my original post that I get £4.50 per hour for occasional A/G work at the moment - and I do it because I enjoy it. I'm just looking for comparisons and wondering, out of interest, what other rates/deals are offered.. .. .To those who would like to do it, there probably isn't a whole lot of paid A/G work out there, but it's always worth asking around at busier airfields. Upgrading to FISO is probably a better bet as an earner but there can't be too many places that employ FISOs - Elstree (?), Barton, Duxford, Fenland, Sywell.............what are the others? I know that Area Control Centres employ a slightly different type of FISO but I would imagine that it's difficult for an outsider to break in there. A/G opportunities sometimes arise for occasional events like fly-ins, air displays and at temporary aerodromes, but it can be a bit challenging for basic A/G bods and I think most of it is done by professional ATCOs for a bit of light relief!!. .. .CAP 452 (Aeronautical Radio Station Operator's Guide)and CAP 427 (Flight Information Service and the FISO LIcence) detail the requirements for A/G Operators and FISOs - both available on the CAA website under the Air Traffic Services section.. . . . <small>[ 15 March 2002, 19:23: Message edited by: Tee ]</small>

Whirlybird
16th Mar 2002, 02:55
Rusty,. .. .About a year ago Sleap were desperate for more A/G operators at weekends. I would think it varies. I never finished training, had too much else to do (like helicopter flying) but even the few hours I did in the tower were excellent experience - go for it if you can.

Wycombe
16th Mar 2002, 03:01
Tee,. .. .Not sure where you are in the UK, but in the South. .Blackbushe, Fairoaks and Goodwood all employ AFISO's.

zzzz
16th Mar 2002, 18:42
...and Denham and Lydd.. .. .At my local field the A/G people get NMW and have to do a whole lot more, such as fueling and fire cover. A very full time job.

Report Clear
17th Mar 2002, 19:05
When I used to do Air-Ground (until Feb), There was a group of 4 of us, we only did weekends and bank holidays and we would each do a four hour shift, with ocassionally an eight hour one.. .. .We were each paid the same at a rate of £5.50 per hour.. .. .Hope this helps. .. .Cheers

fen boy
18th Mar 2002, 12:54
You're all very lucky people if you get paid. My dad's been a FISO at weekends at a club airfield for over 20 years (missed about three weekends during that time), and hasn't been paid a penny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!