PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth Crash at Goodwood

Speedbird252
23rd Jul 2001, 03:11
Was on the 8th July. Any one know any details of the crash?, was during the Festival Of Speed = just wanna know if the crew were ok....?

Regards. :eek:

Evo7
23rd Jul 2001, 10:57
Not sure about this one.

A tiger moth force landed in a field near Chichester not so long ago after an engine failure, but it wasn't during the Festival weekend. Ended up inverted but the crew were fine. If there's been another one I haven't heard about it.

sam_flying
23rd Jul 2001, 12:30
Well the Tiger Moth crash at Goodwood during the Festival of Speed happened to be a friend...and he is ok, and flying again. His passenger was also ok.

I am not going to say what happened as I only heard it third hand, but I did hear it wrote off a Traumahawk :)

Sam

hoverbover
23rd Jul 2001, 12:39
Hi Speedy,

Yes the Tiger Moth crashed at Goodwood on the 8th of July during the festival of speed. We arrived at 10.00 z and all was well,when we arrived back at 15.00 z the moth was in a sorry state by the hangar! Apparently the crew were OK and it was very lucky to have missed so many other aircraft.
It was taking off on 32 and got caught by a gust of wind and cartwheeled from 32 to just by the clubhouse, missing all the other aircraft except one which it ended up resting against! But no one was injured which is the main thing , but I dont know if the Tiger moth will live to fight another day! Apparently the other TM based at Goodwood was damaged a few weeks before!

hope this fills in the gaps.

Regards
Hover Bover

foxmoth
23rd Jul 2001, 20:13
The first one was a prop stop during aeros, A/C badly damaged but crew ok.
Second was a visitor, from my info with low type experience, taking off in a Xwind,said to have reported afterwards 'I checked my speed and it was ok at 45'. Not sure if he was talking kts or mph, if kts, it was to low, and if mph, well !!!! could have opted for a more into wind runway and I was told he was offered and turned it down! Skipped OVER the top of other a/c before hitting the Tomahawk.

Evo7
23rd Jul 2001, 21:19
:eek:

Bl**dy lucky it didn't go into the clubhouse, then!!

Speedbird252
24th Jul 2001, 01:45
Too right evo, where else can you go for a warm, flat coca cola?

Thanks for the info hover - must have turned pretty tight after take off to get near the clubhouse using R32!!.....the stall turn from hell.

Look on the bright side, it could have made a dent in cega`s everso yummy beech 200.

Kind regards. ;)

hoverbover
24th Jul 2001, 16:56
Speedy,

Dont know for sure if it was 32R, if it wasnt he managed to do an even better job of it !

The TM came to rest just next to the cega hangar, about 25 feet away!, to the side that faces the club He was even luckier not to hit the Air Harrods S76 that had just lifted from outside of the club and transitioned thru the track of his cartwheel a few (20)seconds before!! Now that could have made it a really bad day!

Regards
Hover Bover

foxmoth
24th Jul 2001, 22:00
took off from 32L (32R only used in boggy conditions) - still travelled a long way over.

Negative 'G'
24th Jul 2001, 22:35
Hmmmmmmmmmmm The S76 did'nt have any influence on the accident did it,i.e Rotor-wash etc.......seems a strange coincidence.

hoverbover
25th Jul 2001, 00:25
I spoke to some friends that were on scene and they explained what had happened, and the S76 was not a factor, the wind was actually 30-40degrees from the left on 32, and the TM was into problems long before it got near were the s76 had been,and becaue of wind direction the downwash would also have been blown away from 32 ,not across it.

Just a bad day at the office I guess!

Regards

Hover Bover

Speedbird252
26th Jul 2001, 02:23
I agree Hov`s - but up to 40 degrees left of the nose? In a low weight VSTOL aircraft? R28 was the runway for the job, its short but a doddle in a TM?

A brave man to turn down an into wind runway.

Regards Hover. ;)

Speedbird252
26th Jul 2001, 02:29
Hi Hover, me again.........any idea what the wind velocity was? Sorry to go on about this but Ive used that runway so many times im just trying to emulate the conditions in my head - not to judge, just to learn.

Regards. :o

hoverbover
26th Jul 2001, 13:31
Hi Speedy,
Dont quote me but when I left at about 16.00 the wind was about 290 /10kts(guesstimate from memory), I think ! I actually departed on 24, but that was in a heli and I seem to remember the wind slightly from the right, which would figure, as I say dont quote me, it was fairly light breeze though.

Hope this helps

Regards

Hover Bover

Speedbird252
30th Jul 2001, 21:54
Cheers Hov, safe flying mate.

Regards, Speedy.

hoverbover
31st Jul 2001, 00:01
Speedy,
Well as safe as you can be in a mechanical palm tree!LOL

Hope to see you up there sometime.
Regards
Hover Bover

Speedbird252
31st Jul 2001, 21:54
...will do Hov, but dont forget, not above 900ft in the circuit please..........!!

Speedy