PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy trade

ron83
29th Aug 2010, 06:44
Hello,

Does in your country or ANSP ATCO profession counts as unhealthy trade or in any way harmful to your health (stress,overload etc.)? If yes, do you get any benefits from it( less working time, additional pay, early retirement etc.)?
Also does anyone knows or maybe even have any scientific research done in this field? I know of some,but it was long time ago.
We used to have 35 hours week and early retirement at the age of 50,but not anymore.
PM's are welcomed. And any info on this subject much appreciated.

Cheers, Ron.

ron83
30th Aug 2010, 07:30
Really guys nobody hasn't got any information on this? :sad:

Gulfstreamaviator
30th Aug 2010, 08:55
I am the slow moving dot on your screens, and consider your job to be much more stress laden than mine any day.

There are two jobs in aviation that I would never wish to do, one is cabin crew, (dont have the legs for it), or ATC (Radar). The responsability, pressure and concentration is too much for a pilot.

So thats a start for you.

glf

ron83
30th Aug 2010, 09:21
he responsability, pressure and concentration is too much for a pilot.
Thank you for reply,it's obviously so,but in order to prove it we need a scientific research to be done,which takes around 2 years and costs a lot:{

Dan Dare
30th Aug 2010, 09:33
Our pension fund was always thought to do alright because we all drop dead due to years of shift work before taking our fair share out. The benefit we get from this is that there is still a pension fund of sorts to look forward to.

I do like the idea of danger money for doing the job though.

ron83
30th Aug 2010, 10:34
we all drop dead due to years of shift work before taking our fair share out
Exactly,so maybe it's time for organization such an IFATCA to take action and to look on this issue as well.
In our ANSP we are compared to administration staff,so we are just sitting behind a computer like they do.:ugh:

radarman
30th Aug 2010, 11:45
ron,
In the UK ATC jobs are generally well paid, and attract reasonable T&C's as regards time off, annual leave, retirement age etc. It is difficult, probably impossible, to say whether these are directly linked to any particular level of perceived risk or stress, although NATS operates a salary-banding scheme so those at the bigger and busier units are paid more (standby for flak).
As to health hazards, there is nothing really to worry about. There are generally schemes that provide an allowance for eye checks and the cost of spectacles. The type of stress encountered sitting in front of the console is the 'good' type of stress, and most controllers thrive on this. However, there is an increasing amount of the 'bad' type of stress caused by management pressures. (Are you reading this Mr Deakin?) The jury is still out on how much, or how little, shift work affects health in the long term, and this particular problem has provided permanent employment for psychologists for years.
If you want a real pointer to the 'hazards' of ATC, ask how many controllers voluntarily leave the profession due to being unable to cope with the stress and danger.

1st Sep 2010, 18:57
Hang on a minute, before we all start crying.......it's only a job! Some people like it and have a great time.....some find out that they don't like it and moan a lot. If money is your main consideration I pity you........go and work somewhere else or just get on with it.

Spitoon
1st Sep 2010, 19:23
The only time that this sort of thing has ever been an issue with my work was when I went to the doctor about anything and he put it down to stress!

Talkdownman
1st Sep 2010, 19:39
I found the most stressful bit to be getting to work on time before the days of mobile phones. M3/M25/M4/Northside parking/getting the staff bus... Once that knackering bit was over we could all plug in, shift 80-odd an hour...and relax...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Sep 2010, 20:22
I agree with 055166k. I enjoyed every second of my job and the money was of secondary interest; being totally happy in one's work is worth all the money in the world.

I never experienced stress with my work, but health issues wind me up terribly. Every year before my medical I would become a nervous wreck. Now I'm retired my wife is very sick and I'm stressed beyond belief. Stress affects people in different ways and I know what hell people must be going through if they do get stressed at work. As 055166k suggested - best get out of it.

Dizzee Rascal
1st Sep 2010, 20:37
I found the most stressful bit to be getting to work on time before the days of mobile phones. M3/M25/M4/Northside parking/getting the staff bus...

"Sorry Ivor, I'm going to be 2 hours late, Sticky 2 and I were up to no good over the M3, M25 and M4, and KB QFG".:ok:

rab-k
1st Sep 2010, 21:07
I can think of more stressful jobs - trying to control a class full of 30 unruly 10 year olds would do my doughnut in a damned sight quicker than what I do now - at least 99% of pilots do what they're asked and when.

Shift work however is the killer - night shifts take me the sleep day and first day off to get back to 'normal', and lose that sensation of 'jet lag'. Our more senior colleagues are always telling us that this particular aspect of the job doesn't get any easier - with 18 years left I hope they're joking, but I doubt it.

Minesthechevy
2nd Sep 2010, 06:42
Rab-K -

1. Agree totally wrt the teaching of psychopathic juvenile delinquents - I tried it for 9 months last year and vowed 'never again' - and that was with french kids, who are a million percent better behaved than their uk counterparts.

2. No, sorry, it doesn't get easier - it gets worse. There's something in the human genes that says 'OK, it's dark, nighty-night', followed by 'hey, it's light, get out there huntin' an' gatherin'; kick against it consistently and the whole body gets wierd.