PDA

View Full Version : Low(er) blood pressure- will i pass nats medical?

warbdaniel
28th Aug 2010, 23:01
Hello, I'm new to the forum (yet ive been reading it for a couple of weeks now).

My name's daniel, im 22, and I live in the north of england near manchester.

I'm looking to become an atco with nats after i've finished my degrees (Bsc Psychology, aiming to do MSc Research Methods and Statistics too) however after having a basic medical done with my personal trainer, it is apparent i have slightly lower than average blood pressure.

The reading that should be around 120 is in fact an average of around 95-110. Will this be an issue with the medical? If so is there anything that can be done about it?

I'm thinking about getting a couple of books and an atc simulator from the net to help me prepare. It would be great if i could get some answers before i spend money on things.

Thanks guys

Daniel

Minesthechevy
28th Aug 2010, 23:10
Hi Daniel

I wouldn't worry - I spent 34 years in ATC and worked with quite a few ATCOs who didn't have a detectable pulse at all.:}:}

warbdaniel
29th Aug 2010, 00:24
:ok: Great to hear, now i just need to learn a bit more about the role.

So far, all i know is it's a very stressful job working stupid hours and involves a lot of brainpower.

Can anybody suggest any reading from amazon?

Thanks =D.

Glamdring
29th Aug 2010, 07:13
The hours are very good with a lot of time off, we barely work 6 months of the year after factoring in leave. :ok: As for describing it as stressful, that all depends on the individual. I don't find it stressful at all, challenging yes, but not stressful. As for further reading, This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abc-Air-Traffic-Control-10th/dp/1857803183/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283065778&sr=8-1) is what you are after. Good luck with your application :ok:

reportyourlevel
29th Aug 2010, 07:17
So far, all i know is it's a very stressful job working stupid hours and involves a lot of brainpower.

So far, all you know is wrong...

As for books, Graham Duke is your best bet but I'm told David Smith is good too. Be careful with the big internet book retailer, some of the titles are hopelessly out of date and others relate to US ATC which is vastly different to UK ATC.

Lon More
29th Aug 2010, 09:44
others relate to US ATC which is vastly different to UK ATC which is different to the rest of the world. :O

mad_jock
29th Aug 2010, 10:29
well if its anything like the pilots medical if you have low blood pressure....

You have to do some exercise type things which is then followed by jumping up from the prone postion with your eyes shut to stand on one leg and then touch your nose with outstretched arms alternate hands. If you don't get dizzy and fail to balance or miss your nose your OK.

I have it as well and don't do anything. But a none planned can of Iru-Brew and Jock pie before will put you back into the normal range, so much so you then get questions about why your BP has jumped up from the last medical.

Makes the "right you fat bastard, your weight is to much" conversation interesting. "ok you want me to loose weight, but won't that lower my BP?"
"err sign the cert and I will see you next year"

In the UK if there are no other issues they leave you alone. Other countries the doctors want to manage it and give you pills.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Aug 2010, 10:57
warbdaniel... You want to get into ATC yet appear to know very little about the subject..?? Stress affects different people in different ways. I could be as busy as it was possible to be in ATC but experienced no stress. However, health problems wind me up into a terrible state.

Why are you doing degrees which will have no benefit to you in ATC? Others will have differents view, but I would recommend that you apply to NATS now and get going on the interviews, etc. I have just 2 GCE O levels and worked with people who had more educational qualifications and various degrees; it made no difference - we could all do the job.

Try and get a greater insight into the job...

Good luck

Helen49
29th Aug 2010, 13:52
Why not ask the question to the CAA Medical Department at Aviation House or subject yourself to an ATC medical....the latter will costs a bob or two but will at least tell you if you are wasting your time pursuing ATC as a career?

You may find it useful to visit the ATC Publications section of the CAA website. There you will see the actual documents, particularly CAP493, which are the bread and butter of the ATC world throughout the UK.

You could also contact an ATC Manager at an airfield near you. It may be possible to arrange a visit to find out more about the job.......that could put you off for ever!!
H49

chevvron
30th Aug 2010, 11:29
I may get this the wrong way round but I don't think the systolic ('over') rate matters too much, it's the diastolic (the second one quoted) which would fail you if it was consistently over 95. What is yours warbdaniel?

warbdaniel
31st Aug 2010, 00:24
I'd have to check with my personal trainer, i think it was "average". Somewhere in the 60's-70's if i remember right. I am a fairly fit individual, so this has probably reduced the blood pressure a little bit.

I was not being sincere when I mentioned things i know about the role, I Know what the job really does involve and about the different types of controllers. I also know about the typical shift work,long breaks and all the benefits.

I've been after a job that's a little bit out of the norm for a while. I was declared unfit for military service (by the RAF) as i have mild sclerosis (a slight twist at the bottom of my spine). I heavily doubt that will affect my application to NATS as I won't be needing to carry heavy loads for miles or be thrown in an exploding vehicle in an IED attack if i become a civil ATCO. So it seems this position is perfect.

That manual is a God send, thank you. I'll start studying it as soon as.

Finally, any simulation programs or games you can recommend at all on here? It'd be great to start putting some techniques into practice.

I was looking at atcsimulator.com, it seems pretty good however it seems to simulate being an American atc. Looking at it, would it be a massive issue or could i still "trial" the role using it before i make a permanent decision?

Thanks for the very valuable advice

Vercingetorix
31st Aug 2010, 10:16
Lon
are you implying that the rest of the world's ATC systems are better than the UK ATC system. Hard to believe as various Eurocontrol head Honchos were ex UK or is it that you didn't make it in UK ATC!
Cheers:ok:

chevvron
31st Aug 2010, 11:24
By the way, the medical is a CAA requirement not a NATS one.