View Full Version : Rudder doesnt move?

ryanb914
28th Aug 2010, 19:09
Ok, When i play flight simulator, I taxi and the rudder of the plane always move when i turn. But when I watch videos of real planes the rudder doesn't turn when they taxi, why? and how do they make it turn in the air when they need it?

sycamore
28th Aug 2010, 19:34
Ryan,it depends on what aircraft you are simulating; if it`s something like a small Cessna, the rudder is linked to the nosewheel and the rudder pedals.Other aircraft,say T-6 ,or Mustang,one usually just use the brakes,which are on the rudder pedals,so one will also use the rudder ,and the slipstream, and a bit of brake to turn.Larger aircraft ,ie 737, have a nosewheel steering wheel in the cockpit that one uses to turn,maybe with a little brake as well,but you don`t need to use the rudder as such,only after about 50 kts on take-off,then the rudder becomes effective,and one can release the NWS wheel.. and then the reverse happens on landing..Hope that helps..

Capt Claret
29th Aug 2010, 02:43
G'day Ryan,

On the DH8 & B717, the rudder pedals control nose wheel steering + 7 & 17 degrees respectively. Both also have a steering tiller, which allows full steering control, in the case of the 717 + 82 degrees.

Conversely, the BAe146 only has asymmetric braking or a steering tiller for steering control.

So, depending upon what system is installed, and what subsystem the pilot uses, you may or may not see the rudder deflect.

When I taxi the 717 on a long taxi way, either straight or with minor bends, I'll often use the rudder pedal steering, in which case the rudder deflects commensurate with the rudder pedal movement. Turing through a large, or sharp, arc I'll use the tiller, in which case there'll be no rudder deflection.

de facto
29th Aug 2010, 11:15
For another 500$, I may use the rudder during taxi (to cover my shoes wear expenses) otherwise ill stick to the NWS.:E

Chesty Morgan
29th Aug 2010, 11:21
And for those aircraft fitted with a yaw damper you might see the rudder deflecting out of the turn!

SloppyJoe
30th Aug 2010, 12:58
airbus, probably most but only know for sure about the 340/330 have a little nose wheel steering wheel that does not cause the rudder to move, on a straight bit of tarmac most people use the pedals as its easier and then you will see the rudder move a bit, on large turns back to the wheel and no rudder movement. On the runway its back to the pedals so again you will see the rudder moving. The pedals also control the nose wheel steering to a lesser degree than the little wheel hence why its better to use them on straight bits and the runway.