PDA

View Full Version : Skymap II GPS

Getting Old
22nd Jul 2001, 23:12
Any advice on siting a GPS in a Cessna 172 would be appreciated. The yoke mount is not suitable since only "portrait" orientation is available.

Code Blue
23rd Jul 2001, 00:52
Excuse my ignorance, but does this gps have a detachable aerial? If so then velcro tape the unit to your kneeboard and pick a spot high in the centre of the windshield for your aerial.

If not then some experimentation will be needed. I have also used a small handheld gps in C172's. Those equipped for floats need the receiver on the dash under the screen and even then the signal gets lost so often as to be a source of frustration rather than help - I suspect the bracing struts are the source of the problem.

In a wheel equipped 172 I leave the unit receiver up on the dash - anchored with some velcro tape again - and lift the screen up to view as needed. If you keep the unit on your knee I find the position fix gets lost quite readily. I keep it to one side to avoid screwing up the magnetic compass - I don't need two malfunctioning nav items :rolleyes:

PS: Could you use the aforementioned velcro tape (no I don't have shares!!) to stick the unit appropriately orientated to the yoke - assuming reception to be no problem?Any help?

rgds
CB

Edited for persistent dysfunctional keyboard syndrome

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: Code Blue ]