PDA

View Full Version : FAA and TBO's

100LL
31st May 2001, 01:12
Whats the FAA standing on an Engine thats done its time, Can it be run on Extension or dose it have to be removed.

Low_and_Slow
31st May 2001, 03:22
AFAIK the answer depends on whether it is for hire or a personal plane. For those of us luck to own a plane (or a part of one) the TBO is only advisory.

100LL
31st May 2001, 15:09
Its for hire/PPL Training.

Mark 1
31st May 2001, 16:47
If its a G registration, its the CAA, not the FAA who decide.

As mentioned above, a private category aeroplane can normally continue 'on condition', but for PT or AW categories only a small extension is permitted beyond TBO, assuming everythings OK.

Office Update
9th Jun 2001, 16:34
The crucial factor governing all decisions and the over riding factor when it comes to talking to your underwriter after the event, is that you operated the engine outside of the manufacturers tolerances.
This alone can void your insurance. Then the fun starts especially if you have passengers and someone is hurt. Sell your house and go and hide somewhere in deep dark Africa because your not going to have anyleft when they have finished with you in court.

AC-DC
11th Jun 2001, 00:31
Office update
T.B.O is a recommendation. As long as you fly within the set of regulation you are legal and legality is the point.

If you fly FAR135 = Public Cat. You can operate your engine to TBO + 20%.
If you fly FAR91 = Privet Cat. you can operate on condition.

My engine is 2550h SOH and it is legal to fly, it is on condition.
Once I was told that there is a company in Jersey that operates Trilanders and run the engines up to 5000h (they change cylinders every 1000h) with the permission of the CAA. I also heard that Oxford operate their PA28-161 to 3500h. also with a permission.