PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair lose court case

fionan
17th Nov 2001, 12:08
Saw this in Friday's paper:

Friday, November 16, 2001

Stranded passengers to get £2,785 compensation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryanair was yesterday ordered to pay £2,785 compensation to seven passengers stranded on a trip to Paris after bad weather led to the cancellation of flights.

The airline denied liability for the alternative travel arrangements the seven had to make with Aer Lingus and claimed they were only entitled to a refund for the return leg of their Ryanair journey.

The Small Claims Court heard that they were among 200 passengers scheduled to fly out of Beauvais at 9.50 a.m., but shortly after they arrived and booked in, they were told the flight had been cancelled because of bad weather.

When they asked when the next flight might be, they were informed the first available one would be over a week later as all other aircraft were booked out until then. They could go on standby but there was little likelihood of a seat.

They were also told that they could get a refund - in two months - and if they wanted to go back into Paris, they should do so quickly as the last coach would be departing shortly. They would have to make their own accommodation arrangements and could not stay in the Beauvais terminal as it closed at 10 p.m. The company intends to appeal the decision to the Circuit Court.

No frills eh?
;) ;) ;)

sky9
17th Nov 2001, 12:23
Ryanair appear to be treating their passengers with the same contempt as they treat their staff.

If they go on like this they will have none of either.

What happened in the wrongful dismissal case?

gyrohead
17th Nov 2001, 13:29
It really is hard to think of any other airline company that leaves such a bad taste in everybody's mouth!

VBO
17th Nov 2001, 13:38
Scrooge is digging his own grave! Abusing your staff is one thing, you might get away with it for a while. Getting at your passengers is another: If they don't pay to fly the airline will not fly! Simple!

KIWISAHIB
17th Nov 2001, 13:39
I heard they "services no longer required" a pilot one Sunday morning at 0635hrs without warning in Jan. But they had called another pilot the night before and told him not to come into the Crew Room until called.

Whats the difference between an English firing squad and an Irish firing squad?
The Irish firing squad stand in a circle!

Sooner or later MOL is going to get shot by his own arrogance. :D :D :D :D ;)

Onestepdown
18th Nov 2001, 00:36
Amazing isn't it that pax who pay paltry sums to travel still think that they should get treated like royalty. Don't get me wrong I'am not an FR fan, and I also know that all the tickets are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

P.S. Whats the dirrerence between an english low cost carrier and an Irish low cost carrier.

Hmmm well maybe it is that the English carrier is an attempted partial copy of Europes most sucessful low cost operator.
I think that is the Irish one. ( As I said not a fan but hey, I think the english firing squad aforementioned is the one that shoots itself in the foot.) :cool: :cool: :D

[ 17 November 2001: Message edited by: Onestepdown ]

P.Pilcher
18th Nov 2001, 15:01
Now then - let's see: there was the chief executive of a nationwide jewellery retailer Ratners who announced that his firm sold a load of c**p and that he would never buy it. Look at what happened to them. Then the bean counting chief exec. of Ford decided that it would be cheaper to pay compensation to those customers who decided to sue over the fact that their tyres had failed, instead of recalling all the vehicles concerned to fit new tyres. I understand that he is no longer working for them. So - will he become the next chief excecutive of Ryanair perchance?

Although I don't know all the details, I am aware of the common denominator between Brymon, a profitable independent airline having to be bought out by BA in the early 90's and the recent, sad demise of Gill

fudpucker
18th Nov 2001, 16:12
An enigmatic posting, Pilcher. What is this "common denominator" you speak of?

HugMonster
18th Nov 2001, 17:18
I suspect he is referring to the former CEO of Gill.

moggie
18th Nov 2001, 18:02
I have heard of several examples of this kind of thing from Ryanair - including making the pax wait until the last possible moment "just in case" even though there is no hope of the weather improving enough. Of course, by then your options for alternative flights ahve been seriously cut down.

In my experience with EJ (as pax and that of friends) is that they WILL try to help passengers who can not fly, even if that means laying on transport to take them to another airport for another flight. This happened ot people I know just before new year when fog shut the EJ flights down they bussed them to LHR. They are also much better on the compensation front.

I have NEVER met anyone who was impressed by their Ryanair travel experience, but all the EJ, GO and Buzz pax seem impressed.

The real measure of an airline is not how thye treat people when everything is going well but what they so when things go pear shaped. Look not only at these stories but at they way they are handling recruitment - £50 application fee, £150 interview, £15,000 type rating AND reduced pay.

"Full speed ahead and never mind the icebergs". The Tiatnic was from Ireland, too (OK, I know it was Belfast but most irish don't differentiate!).

P.Pilcher
18th Nov 2001, 18:51
Fudpucker & Hugmonster:
In November 1989 I flew Mr.M. Naylor from Gatwick to Birmingham in a DHC6. I welcomed him on board and, having only recently joined the company found the opportunity to advise him that I wanted to make my aviation career with Brymon airways unlike many who, at the time were joining for a year to get their first gas turbine job and leaving for the higher salaries of the fast jet market. He wished me a long and successful career with Brymon. I only heard from him once more - when he personally signed my redundancy letter in August 1990.

PETERJ
19th Nov 2001, 02:02
Yup.....ye get what you pay for but don't even think of traveling Ryanair.....if you're old an a bit doodery on yer feet........Recent experience.......outbound London - Pisa......ole couple she with stick, he limping along helping her......started making their way towards gate on first PA boarding (children and dusabled) call.......weren't quick enough to make it to the gate and were subsequently swaamped by hordes of youngsters when the "now Boarding" call went out......gate personnell did nothing .....and I was left f'ing nd blinding in the gate scrum trying to protect two bewildered and frightened OAP's.
On return....ex Pisa (aka Florence) got involved in a serious Italian scrum at gate.......two persons' wide but handled it Italian style.....I'm six foot two and used to play rugby......so no poblem for me..... but I thought .....Jeez ........thank God I.m not those Oap's.........
Ryanair's a crap service but it's cheap.......strength to their arm but be aware of what you're buying !!!!!!!!!

xbxex
19th Nov 2001, 07:07
In light of the ignorant comments made by moggie and skytruck, I think it`s a credit to all the Irish Pilots on PPRuNe who haven`t replied with the same vile.
I`m tired of logging into PPRuNe to see Ryanair being used as an excuse to attack Ireland and it`s people.
Whatever strategy Michael O`Leary chooses to take is not a reflection on any Irish person or any Ryanair crew member for that matter.
Why can´t Ryanair be seen for what it is -an airline- good, bad ...whatever.
It`s not IRELAND.

KIWISAHIB
19th Nov 2001, 12:12
light-wing

YAWN.
MOLs ethics are lower than a rattle snakes belly in a cattle rut.

You'al ave a nice day now. Sleep tight and sweet dreams.

P.S. Do you all know about Ryanairs FUEL policy?
Its called Fum**.

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Pandora
19th Nov 2001, 14:32
I told my dad he was making a mistake when he booked his holiday flights with Ryanair. But sadly I was not able to get enough hotline seats with my own employer for my dad and his 24 mates who were off on a cycling tour of Italy. Before booking their tickets they asked the Ryanair customer service department if it would be able to accommodate 25 cycles if no other luggage was carried. (my dad and his friends are a scummy bunch who only need a clean pair of pants and a toothbrush.) He explained that the bikes would be dismantled and in carrying cases measuring approx 3'x3'6"x9" and weighing approx 15kg. They would be bringing no other luggage except a small piece of handluggage each. Ryanair decided that the bikes would be similar in dimensions to a large but acceptable suitcase and told him 'no problem.' Then my dad and his mates arrived at Stansted, and were told that they would have to pay a bike handling fee of £15 cash each. They grumbled and complained that they had not been told this before and it might have had some bearing on whether they booked to travel with Ryanair, but they were told it was a one-off fee and had to be paid if they wanted their bikes in Italy with them. So they coughed up. On their return leg they were told that they had been misinformed, and that the one-off fee actually only applied to single journeys, and that there would be another one-off fee to get their bikes back. Payable only in cash. Sterling. So on return to Stansted they did not get their bikes back until an hour after disembarking the aircraft, and going to the ATM to withdraw some money. And the flight was delayed 1 and a half hours each way. Now why, if this group were required to stump up £375 on top of their ticket price, were they not informed at the time of booking, and why were they told it was a single payment when clearly it wasn't? The group have decided that they would rather not travel again with such an underhand lying company who clearly apply mis-selling tactics and last minute charges to reap the huge profits they are boasting off.
My sympathies go out to all Ryanair pilots if they are treated half as shoddily as the pax are.

moggie
20th Nov 2001, 01:26
Light-wing, as all I posted on the thread is fact, how does it come to be an "ignorant post"?

We are not having a go at Irish pilots, any more than we are having a go at anyone who works for Ryanair (other than the policy makers who seem intent on getting the airline a bad name).

PS- do the regular appearances by Ryanair in front of the Advertising Standards Agency not tell you something about their sales techniques? Beats me why the Irish government seem to bend over backwards to give them advantages over the competition.
Congrats to Ryanair on making a profit - more than BA and Aer Lingus can do - but please note that with what I KNOW to be their record on customer service they will not get any of my cash! Good PR costs very little to generate (and creates repeat business) but bad PR is hellishly expensive in the long run because people go elsewhere. FR need to understand that complacency kills - and that applies to their dealing with employees as much as customers.

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

willoman
20th Nov 2001, 01:53
I am employed by an established UK airline. A few months ago, it was necessary for me to position to my rostered departure point. I expressed a desire ( for personal reasons ) to position a day early. The airline which my company normally uses did not have any available seats on that day. I suggested a seat on Ryanair would be acceptable to me. I was informed by my travel dept.that for
"technical reasons", crews in my company were not to be booked on any Ryanair flights. Subsequent remarks on various Pprune forums suggests that my company had a valid point !!

Mindthegap
20th Nov 2001, 17:16
Ryanair is a low cost airline and that means it costs less to fly but anything else(extra) like meals, drinks, overweight baggage or out of the ordinary baggage is something that needs to be pay for. You cant always get your cake for nothing and eat it too. If you buy a ticket with Ryanair don´t expect more than a ride in a good looking airplane....period.

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: I H8 MY X ]

HugMonster
20th Nov 2001, 17:20
Good-looking? The old -200's are far from that.

And you mean don't expect to get to your destination? Or courtesy? Or for them to tell you the truth about exactly what extras are applicable?

Yep - you got that right.