PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor not making entries in logbook

I touch the sky
27th Aug 2010, 03:02
I was having difficulty with my flight instructor for a couple of months. When I decided to change flight instructors, and requested my logbook from the flight school, I realized the instructor had not logged any ground school time in my logbook in the section designated for the entries. He did enter three ground school times in the flight section. I had at least a dozen hours not logged and I have the flight school bills for ground instruction to prove it. Is there FAA requirements for CFI's to log this time or am I just out of luck. What should I do? My new instuctor states that I need to have him fill in the logbook, but how will he remember what he covered accurately? He never used a syllabus and he couldn't remember what we covered from one lesson to the next.

TractorBoy
27th Aug 2010, 11:45
Logging ground school time ? Are you sure ? Not unless the FAA licence is wildly different to the CAA one, but I'm quite prepared to be corrected...

Contacttower
27th Aug 2010, 11:56
Yes for the FAA PPL I believe groundschool is usually logged, hence the space for it in FAA approved logbooks. Different from JAA where for PPL it is not usually.

In this case I don't think there is much one can do except try and work it out with your old instructor.

TractorBoy
27th Aug 2010, 12:05
I stand corrected :O

Have a word with the flight school you're based at and get them to talk to your original instructor. (presuming he works for them...)

I touch the sky
27th Aug 2010, 13:08
He was the only instructor in my original flight school. Had to change schools. Big difference! You get what you pay for. I hate learning lessons the hard (very expensive) way. Went out last night on FAA web site and it states that ground is to be logged and very specific about what is to be covered and noted in log book. So frustrating. Landings are tough, but approaching this guy is tougher.

I touch the sky
27th Aug 2010, 13:12
Are you in Winchester, VA?