PDA

View Full Version : PPL renewal?

kanga
27th May 2001, 22:42
hi all,
I need the low down from those of you that have regularly renewed their CAA PPL. Most people I've asked tend to contradict each other with information on
1) Minimum requirements
2) Cost
3) Procedure

i'd really appreciate help from people that know the score,
cheers.
Kanga

BEagle
28th May 2001, 00:02
When did you last have a '13 month stamp' in your personal logbok, or, hopefully, a FCL150CJAR entry in your licence? On that will depend the answer,

Pielander
28th May 2001, 12:46
The validity period for all PPLs regardless of whether they were issued as CAA or JAR is 24 months. This would have commenced from the date of the first 'normal' 13 month renewal after 01/06/99. You will require 12 months P1 in the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the C of E (of which 6 may be 'under supervision'), and this is to include a bi-annual currency check with an instructor. Once the requirements have been met, it is simply up to a kindly passing CFI to sign/stamp your log book and licence. If you cannot meet these requirements, then rather more unpleasant things start to happen.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Pie

[This message has been edited by Pielander (edited 28 May 2001).]

BEagle
28th May 2001, 15:04
Pie - the 'rather more unpleasant thing' is only a simple renewal proficiency check - NOT a PPL Skill Test. We don't sign logbooks anymore either. If the licence has lapsed by less than 5 years, we Examiners can do the renewal proficiency check (I charge £65 for this) and sign up the applicant immediately (if he passes and has a current medical etc) and he may fly as P1C immediately. But if it's more than 5 years then, once appropriate refresher training has been completed the proficiency check will still be flown but the paperwork must be sent off to the CAA and an additional 'Rating Variation Fee' must be paid - and the applicant may not fly as P1C until he receives his renewed rating back from the Belgrano.

PS - Any references to the male gender in the foregoing text apply equally to those of other or uncertain gender and are not intended as discriminatory comment.

Pielander
28th May 2001, 15:20
Thanks for that, BEagle

I wasn't sure about the 'unpleasant things'. That's taken a load off my mind, just in case the weather doesn't improve enouh for me to get in 3 hours in 6 weeks!

Pie

Noggin
28th May 2001, 16:11
Back to the original question

Minimum requirements for revalidation of a PPL, a Proficiency check every 24 months.

Cost 1 hours flying plus examiners fee (£65 quoted by Beagle)

Procedure go to any UK Flight Examiner.

What you probably meant is, what are the requirements for revalidation of a PPL:

Either, 12 hours flying in the last 12 months of the 24 month validity period, to include 6 hours PIC, 12 take offs and landings as the flying pilot and a 1 hour training flight with an instructor; or, a proficiency check with an examiner in the 3 months preceeding expiry.

If you have passed the validity date your rating has expired and you will have to do a proficiency check to renew your rating, note the 5 year rule quoted above.

The 13 month certificate system ceased on 1 Jan 1999 and for the next 12 months renewal was based upon 5 hours experience in the previous 13 months. The revalidation was recorded on a new form FCL150CJAR which goes in your licence not the log book. This rating is valid for 24 months for Single Engine Piston aeroplanes. The big difference is that it must be revalidated before the expiry date!!! You may revalidate early with no loss of time as the next expiry date will be 24 months from the initial one.

Another point you may have missed is that in order to carry passengers you must have executed 3 take offs and landings in the previous 90 days. ANO Schedule 8

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 28 May 2001).]