PDA

View Full Version : Training and working in Ireland?

LMX
26th Aug 2010, 00:50
I've been invited to the first round of selection tests for the IAA Student Controller programme, and I'd like to know a bit more about training and working as an ATCO in Ireland before I decide whether to go there (tickets are expensive!).

How's training in Shannon if you're an expat? Any expat ATCOs working in Ireland? What units do most people get posted to? Any idea of the pass/fail rate at college and OJT?

I've undergone ATC training before (failed a final practical exam in an ACS course). This apparently does not disqualify me from applying to the IAA, but will it make my chances better or worse?

Actually I'm now in pilot training (state sponsored frozen ATPL in a year from now), but I've really been bitten by the ATC bug, so I really can't decide what to do... take my chances with the IAA or stick to flying... :confused:

Farrell
26th Aug 2010, 02:02
Loads of expats working as ATCOs in Ireland. By all accounts a great place to work.

All of them are a great bunch of folks....... apart from any expats who came there from Muscat...... keep an eye on your wallet...and if DivingDuck extends the hand of friendship.... you best count your fingers afterwards! :E

How is everybody settling in over there, Ducky?