View Full Version : Written ATP "Just for fun"

Yetidanslabrume
25th Aug 2010, 22:01
Hi everybody,

the title of the thread is a bit bold on purpose to attract some attention!

Here is my "problem": I am finishing a M.S. degree (transportation engineering) in the US and for administrative reasons, the workload for my last semester is really light.

I have been looking for things I could do in addition to my classes in order to stay busy and someone told me about the written ATP exam (written ONLY).

I have another M.S degree in aviation engineering (from ENAC, Toulouse for those who heard of it!) which covered most of the theory involved in the test (flight mechanics, structure, on board systems, etc...) and I've always planned on working in the civil aviation industry as an engineer, not a pilot (sorry guys ;))

Here are my questions!
Am I allowed to take the ATP written exam even though I do not have a PPL license?
I am planning on working from home (using Gleim's books and something like Dauntless question bank). How many hours are roughly needed to prepare for it? I should be able to spend something like 15-20 hours/week from now until December. Is it enough? Once again, I have some background in most of the required fields and passed my french PPL theoretical exam a couple of years ago.
Do airlines/manufacturers really care about this extra line on my resume? (especially because it will expire after a period of 24 months as I won't be flying...)Once again, I do not plan on becoming a professional pilot, I just want to obtain a certificate that could show a level of knowledge in aviation.

Thank you very much!

TimeOnTarget
26th Aug 2010, 20:22
This response can go in several directions, and you are liable to get many different opinions.

You must be at least 23 years old to actually obtain the full ATP rating written/practical, but I don't think there is any preclusion from simply taking the written test. The test is valid for 2 years with some exceptions that I won't go into. You also have to meet certain minimum flight time requirements which are all spelled out in the FARs in order to obtain an ATP Certificate(Hence the new 1500 hour rule).

But let's get to the real point of your question. I don't think that taking this test is a good use of your time. You can buy the Gleim book, and study it on your own. It will take several weeks, depending on your ability, to study/memorize the questions and answers sufficiently to pass the test. You could also pay about $300 and take a computerized test prep/test, with several companies of your choice, and pass the test that way.

But if your concern is learning more about aviation, then I don't think this test is your best use of time. There is so much stuff in this test that you will never really use. You can buy the Gleim book and use it as a reference if you want to look something up, which is probably a good use of money, but you would be better off reading books like The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual by Brown & Holt if you really want to learn something.

my 2 cents

Caboclo
26th Aug 2010, 22:05
I don't know what engineering employers look for in a new hire these days, but I doubt a written test would carry much weight, especially if they know anything about the test. As Time said, a lot of the stuff on that test is pretty useless. If I were hiring an aeronautical engineer, I would value a full PPL over an ATP written. Go get some experience as an actual pilot, rather than mere theoretical knowledge.

MarkerInbound
27th Aug 2010, 09:21
Per the Flight Standards Information System, which is the online version of the old Inspector's Handbook, you have to meet all the requirements except age for an ATP before you take the written. So hold a COMM certificate, First Class medical, 1500 hours, etc. Why we don't have people running around saying they have a "frozen ATP."

FOR THE ATP WRITTEN (KNOWLEDGE) TEST. Test examiners administer aeronautical knowledge tests in written form or by computer. Since these tests can be administered by both means, they will be referred to as knowledge tests. Before an applicant may take the airline transport pilot (ATP) knowledge examination, however, an inspector must establish that the applicant is eligible for the requested certification in either the airplane or rotorcraft category. Except for age, applicants must meet all eligibility requirements before being authorized to the ATP knowledge test or being issued a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Form 8060-7, Airman’s Authorization for Written Test. ... The following is an expanded discussion of the eligibility requirements.

A. An applicant must submit documentary evidence to show at least one of the following acceptable pilot qualifications:

·An FAA commercial pilot certificate,
·A commercial or ATP certificate (without limitation) issued by an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) country, or
·Evidence of United States (U.S.) military pilot qualification within the past 12 calendar-months (such as aeronautical orders or flight time logs).

B. An applicant must process a current first class medical certificate.

C. ...

D. ...

E. ...

F. An applicant must have accumulated the flight experience required for the appropriate category rating before taking the knowledge examination. Each applicant must submit logbooks or other equivalent documents for an inspector to verify the flight experience.

Yetidanslabrume
27th Aug 2010, 19:13
:sad:
Thank you very much for your answers.

@MarkerInbound: as you pretty clearly showed, I am not allowed to take the knowledge exam... That sucks. However, the knowledge exam is the same for the Dispatcher exam and I am pretty sure that in this case, no flight experience is required. However, I think that a ground school training is mandatory...

@TimeOnTarget: Thx for the link, I think I will into this book.

@Caboclo: I wish I could pass my PPL, but the problem is that I do not have the revenues to pay for flights lessons.

Also, my point was to learn something, but more importantly to obtain a certificate proving that I know things. I am having a hard time explaining to American recruiters what I know and can do. For example, my M.S covered most of the program of a Dispatcher certificate, but because I do not have a Dispatcher certificate, they don't really care/understand.

Would you have any idea of certificate I could obtain this semester? (I am stuck in school with a light schedule until December no matter what...)

Yetidanslabrume
27th Aug 2010, 23:11
@MarkerInBound: :sad: Thanks for the info... It sounds pretty clear that I cannot take the test... However, I know that the written test for the Dispatchers is the same as the ATP knowledge test and I am pretty sure that they do not require any flight experience. However, I think a certified ground class program is required.

@TimeOnTarget: Thx for the book; I will look into it!

@Caboclo: The point is more to obtain a certificate proving that I have knowledge in the field rather than getting more theoretical stuff (even though it can't be bad to know more things...). My problem is that I have trouble explain to American recruiters all I know and can do because they are not familiar with European schools.
I used to fly a little bit back home but money is currently an issue and I cannot afford a PPL. This is why I am looking for something "free" (at or least that doesn't require to invest thousands of $$)

As it seems that the written ATP is not option, does anybody knows any certificate that could be obtain within a semester (I am "stuck" in school with a light schedule until December no matter what).

Thanks!