PDA

View Full Version : UAS hours towards PPL currency?

Squadgy
24th May 2001, 02:23
Hi,

Does anyone know if, now UASs are flying civilian registered G115 Tutors if hours flown on them can count directly towards PPL currency? I think that they didn't count when military registered Bulldogs were flown.

Thanks
Squadgy

Pielander
24th May 2001, 03:35
Only second hand info, I know, but one of my PPL instructors said he used hours from an ATC VGS (Vigilants) to count towards his commercial experience requirements. I think if it has an engine and flies, you can log it.

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th May 2001, 12:12
Pielander was that me??

UAS hours on both Bulldog and Tutor count towards PPL as do Vigilant motor glider hours but only to a certain maximum (400 for prof license?).

I used Bulldog and Vigilant for issue and upkeep of PPL and CPL's.

Cheers,

M14P
24th May 2001, 12:13
I see absolutely no reason why not - you might like to drop FCL an email. It may take a while to ellicit a response but they are 'the boys' to ask rather that a bunch of hotshots like us!!!

I have a feeling that your 'flight with an instructor' may also be covered too.

Stampe
24th May 2001, 13:56
I don,t see why they shouldn,t count, as a PPl (FE) I always used to accept Bulldog hours for the then Group A (now SEP).No reason why hours on foreign registered aircraft shouldn,t count either.Pragmatism we need to live in in a "can do" world not"there must be areason why not".Everytime an aircraft lifts into the air its obeying thelaws of physics not of man!!.

Lucifer
24th May 2001, 18:48
FCL do accept Bulldog and Grob hours and have always done so for PPL currency. What they do not do at the moment is accept a military flight test to be accepted in place of a civilian flight test to automatically renew the PPL if sufficient hours have not been completed. However, if you have a lesson with a UAS intructor who is also a CAA instructor, then that does count as the hour of instruction required among the 12 hours in the second twelve months of PPL validity.

This all stems from as is rightly said that they are Single Engine Piston hours, as would hours from flying in another country also count.

Squadgy
24th May 2001, 21:40
Cheers guys, not for myself (I don't have any UAS hours), but for a mate who got a PPL, went to UAS and now wants to fly in civvie street again, but thinks he may have lapsed - he got some hours on the Dog so thats great news!

Noggin
25th May 2001, 01:04
If he thinks he has lapsed then he probably has. The hours will then be of no use if he has not had his licence signed up whilst it is still valid.

BEagle
26th May 2001, 03:03
But if it hasn't lapsed by more than 5 years, he'll only need to do a SEP Class Rating renewal proficiency check - hardly more than a decent check-out - the only diference being that it must be done by a UK/FE.

Pielander
28th May 2001, 13:20

In answer to your question "Was that me?":

I've just read your post about "Big Dumbass Hank" shovelling Big Macs down his face in a PA28. - It certainly sounds like the sort of thing that might be said by that particular "Weasley Welshman" to whom I refer. Have you checked your email lately?

Pie