PDA

View Full Version : HPA Rating for a TBM850

IO540
25th Aug 2010, 11:22
I am researching something...

What exactly is involved in getting the above?

How different is (a) a Meridian (b) a Malibu, in terms of this paperwork?

I have heard that a Malibu does not need the HPA - or it does need it but one doesn't have to sit the 14 ATPL exams to get it...

AIUI HPA it is not required for flying an N-reg TBM. The FAA requires a TR for > 12500lb or a turbojet - or an aircraft which the FAA says needs a TR.

172driver
25th Aug 2010, 13:38
By HPA, do you mean this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-powered_aircraft) ;) ??

S-Works
25th Aug 2010, 15:14
You either have to have an ICAO ATP exam pass or pass the HPA rating. The HPA rating is a distance learning course and a single exam administered by the training organisation.

Once you have done the HPA rating it covers you for any aircraft that requires an HPA. If you have been flying a piston PA46 and move to a Turbine PA46 you still require the HPA but are exempt the type rating training. The piston PA46 does not require the HPA rating.

A list of SPA aircraft that require the HPA can be found in LASORS and JAR FCL1.

There are only a couple of places that do the HPA rating, one down in Bournemouth whose name I cant remember at the moment.

AdamFrisch
25th Aug 2010, 16:25
Sounds like utter tosh the whole HPA thing. What's there to know? It goes above 25.000ft, it goes fast, it has a turbine.

A turbine is easier to manage than a piston, fer god's sake.

1hr of ground school should take care of that ("the onset of hypoxia up high is quicker"), all the other stuff is practical and belongs in the type.

S-Works
25th Aug 2010, 16:46
The HPA covers additional stuff like global climatology, human performance and limitations etc. It is nothing to do with the difference between pistons and Turbines although it does cover an element of turbine mechanics.

It is fairly simple course that can be covered in a couple of days.

A turbine may be easier to manage in terms if wiggling the levers, but it has many more issued associated with it. Our turbines are torque limited in certain temperatures and ITT limited in others. Understanding the workings of a turbine before starting a type rating course is a bonus.

IO540
25th Aug 2010, 17:05
1hr of ground school should take care of that ("the onset of hypoxia up high is quicker"), all the other stuff is practical and belongs in the type.

Exactly. If you are going to buy a TBM, you would normally do the factory course. It would be a bit silly not to, because these people know the plane better than anybody else will.

So anything engine specific will be covered in that.

The engine management is not hard and a lot more straightforward than doing high perf flying with a piston engine. It's just different.

Anyway, in FAA-land, there is no HPA Rating. AFAICT you need the HP signoff (being more than 200HP :) - gosh even I have that one) and then you are good to go. It is the insurance company that will set the real rules there....

Understanding global climate is a load of bollox, because nobody uses that knowledge to make a go/no-go decision. One makes the decision on published tafs, metars, sigwx maybe, MSLP, that kind of stuff. I have spent years trying to work out the best ways to make weather decisions and have come to the conclusion that "understanding weather" is an almost complete waste of time for a pilot because the forecasters are paid to do that job 24/7 and if you can outperform them with a statistical significance then you will make enough to buy a TBM850 in no time at all :) I now think the IR images are by far the best guide to what is up there, enroute. Anyway that is not relevant...

172driver
25th Aug 2010, 17:54
Anyway, in FAA-land, there is no HPA Rating. AFAICT you need the HP signoff

For the TBM 850 you also need the high-altitude endorsement. This basically covers any pressurized airplane, regardless of power plant. No idea if a TR is required in FAAland.