PDA

View Full Version : Question on Baron 58

training wheels
23rd May 2001, 02:28
I've just downloaded a Baron 58 for FS2000 to practice instrument let downs and would like to know how accurate this simulation is. Can anyone tell me what the engine manifold pressure and RPM setting is for;

1. Cruise

2. On final?

Many thanks in advance.

2Donkeys
24th May 2001, 14:41
RPM setting for low level cruise is around 2300-2400 RPM

Manifold pressure would be around 22-23 inches

For Final, you will probably ultimately have the props fully forward (=2600+ RPM) and the manifold pressure between 15 and 17.

I haven't seen the simulation, it would be interesting to compare it with the real thing!

-2Donkeys (Baron 58 owner and proud of it)

411A
28th May 2001, 17:27
2Donkeys---
You may be interested to know that Continental has a service bulletin issued years ago regarding high RPM (props full fwd) on final with their large engines. They suggest that the RPM be left at the cruise setting until touchdown do to the possibility of chucking a counterweight loose. If this happens, BIG expense.
If you have to go-around (and need the power) then move the props as required SLOWLY.

2Donkeys
31st May 2001, 01:03
Thanks for that reply. Your point is absolutely correct and you will notice my use of the word "ultimately" in my reply relating to the prop settings on final. Whilst I am happy to engage in a discussion on the details, I suspect that this is more information that the original questioner was after. :)

Regards

-2Donkeys

Office Update
8th Jun 2001, 15:23
411A .. I hope you never have to do a 'go around' off a baulked approach and then lose one. Those vital seconds will kill you, especially in a Baron.
If you mishandle the engine it is possible to de-tune a counterweight.
You can't throw a counter weight, as the engine is certified to perform through out it design parameters, which includes simulating engine failure at anything from idle power thru to take off power.

I operate a Baron 58 and we show no mercy to the engines and routinely use the aircraft for proficiency training and initial twin conversions. We have never had a problem in engine handling, aircraft TT has over 13,000 hrs and all the engines made it to overhaul.

[This message has been edited by Office Update (edited 09 June 2001).]

M14P
9th Jun 2001, 13:34
Just check out 411A's posts throughout this site. He's a genuine laugh a minute (as well as an expert on everything)

When my PC starts throwing conterweights I'll drop 411A a mail and ask for some advice.

Arf Arf Arf Arf!

2Donkeys
9th Jun 2001, 23:28
This turned out to be a more exciting thread than I had first imagined :)

Since we now appear to be delving beyond the world of simulation, it is worth saying that unless you badly cock-up the speed handling on the approach, it should be possible to get the Baron's prop levers fully forward in the final stages of the approach without so much as a peep out of the engines. Perhaps our expert friend has forgotten what happens to VP props at low power settings.

On a different subject:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I operate a Baron 58 and we show no
mercy to the engines</font>

As owner and operator of a Baron, whilst I am delighted that you have had no problems, it is worth saying that Continentals are not renowned for ability to take rough handling. I think your statement should be filed in the same drawer as:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
My grandad's great-uncle's best friend smoked 900 cigarettes a day and he lived to be 140
</font>

Lucky chap - I wouldn't want you doing that to my aircraft :)

-2Donkeys

[This message has been edited by 2Donkeys (edited 09 June 2001).]

jabberwok
10th Jun 2001, 03:20
Anyone know what happened to the Beech 58 that went into the sea off the Isle of Man a couple of days ago?

Office Update
10th Jun 2001, 08:33
2donkeys, we have started to think about replacing our 14th engine, (7 sets) and no problems.
The biggest killer of engines is engineers who miss time the magnetos and fail to set the idle fuel flow (unmetered)and again with the top end fuel flow. (max takeoff flow)
Remember that variations of the IO-520 spin at 3400 rpm, so therefore at 2700 rpm or thereabouts there won't be any problems.
Floatplane operators routinely adjust their prop govenors to give themselves 3000rpm on t/o.

[This message has been edited by Office Update (edited 10 June 2001).]

2Donkeys
10th Jun 2001, 11:31
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The biggest killer of engines is engineers</font>

With this, I completely agree. The only engine(s) I have ever lost on a Baron were down to a fundamental maintenance error. (Wrong Piston Ring Fitted)

To avoid any doubt though, my comments related not specifically to counter-weights or RPM, but to the general proposition that large Continentals can be treated harshly without biting back.

CHTs (to name but one factor) need to be watched very carefully if you prefer your Cylinder Heads whole! This is a feature that Contentals are notorious for.

I would also re-emphasise that the Baron 58 can be managed superbly on approach (and at most other stages of flight), without the need to give the engines a hard time.

-2Donkeys