PDA

View Full Version : Digital ATIS at LHR

Uncle Fred
25th Aug 2010, 03:51
My apologies if this has been discussed before but I could not find any record of it through the search function.

Why does LHR not have digital ATIS? All major US airports do and a good handful of others around the world. I would think that at an airport with crews arriving from around the world that reading it is always easier than trying to tune it in on the descent.

Any plans to upgrade this?

Mushroom_2
25th Aug 2010, 07:10
A bit of research is always useful before posting.

malcolmf
25th Aug 2010, 08:56
LHR has had D ATIS for as long as I can remember.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Aug 2010, 09:02
I think what he might mean is some form of data-transmitted ATIS with a print-out on the flight deck?

Arfur Dent
25th Aug 2010, 09:04
That's been available for ages too hasn't it?

Uncle Fred
25th Aug 2010, 13:21
A bit of research is always useful before posting.

Nice reply Mushroom 2 :(

I fly there on some months up to 5 times and although our airport pages list a D-ATIS for both arrival and departure I have never been able to upload it through the ACARS. Always get an "airport not-participating" message and have to pick it up by voice. Our ACARS seems to pick it up at the other airports where it is available so thus the question--sorry that my actually operating to the aerodrome does not meet the standard of research...

Can anyone else pick it up via ACARS? If not, is it planned to be available at some date?

I guess under the lack of research banner I should not ask when or if they will also start to issue clearances via the ACARS as do many other stations...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Aug 2010, 13:47
<<when or if they will also start to issue clearances via the ACARS>>

Methinks they have been doing so for some time....

high-flyer
25th Aug 2010, 14:05
Hi,

There is indeed a digital ATIS that you can get via ACARS in the cockpit, they've had it for ages. When on the ground you can also get your PDC via ACARS.

high-flyer

Uncle Fred
25th Aug 2010, 14:44
When on the ground you can also get your PDC via ACARS

I will have to ask the company why it does not work for us--seems to be the only place where it does not.

Also, I know we have never been able to get the PDC via ACARS there as we always have to call up and tell them the altimeter, aircraft type. parking spot etc and then they tell us 15 to 20 minute start up delayshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif!--how do they confirm that with you via a PDC?

Timothy Claypole
25th Aug 2010, 14:51
You still have to call Delivery for start once you've got the PDC.

Mach_Krit
26th Aug 2010, 13:54
we get the ATIS via ACARS from LHR. Unfortunatly we never get the ATIS identifier...so its back to tuning in on the freq during descent.