PDA

View Full Version : Wings Over Gatineau - anyone else going?

fernytickles
24th Aug 2010, 18:42
I just registered us for our camping slot today. Am getting all excited about it. Really looking forward to seeing the Vintage Wings Canada collection on their home turf.

Tonight, 8/24/10, at 7:00PM CDT:

Presenter: Rob Fleck, Chief Operating Officer and pilot for Vintage Wings Canada

Rob will review the operations, aircraft and future plans of a unique flying museum recently established in Gatineau, Quebec. Housed in a newly constructed 23,000 sq ft hangar, the Museum has already amassed an impressive collection of rare warbirds and vintage aircraft, and has several major restorations underway including a Spitfire, Hurricane and Swordfish. Rob will also share details of the forthcoming event "Wings over Gatineau" which will incorporate a national Canadian EAA fly-in.

Register here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/701757320

spitfire
31st Aug 2010, 20:33
I am flying up from Wisconsin with my wife in our Cessna 180, will be camping. :ok: Really looking forward to it. Home - EAA Canadian Fly-In (http://www.eaacanada.webs.com) appears to be the main website.

a330pilotcanada
1st Sep 2010, 10:46
For all going you will be very impressed with Mr. Potters collection. At the museum they have a very moving service for the Battle of Britain, after the two minutes of silence a low level fly by.

In previous years it has been the Canadian War Plane Heritage Lancaster ( one of two left in the world of over 7,000 built still flying) followed by Mr Potters Spitfire, P-51, P-40 and Hurricane.

A tribute to the men and women at Vintage wings would be this short story. A few years back Mr Potter was hosting a lunch at the museum with his Spitfire outside on display. A old veteran and his minder who was pushing his wheel chair were along aside the Spitfire with the veteran running his hand on the leading edge of the wing.

The veteran was approached by one of Mr Potters volunteers and they had a quiet conversation when finished the volunteer took control of the veteran taking him back to the trailing edge of the wing. A total of four volunteers helped him up and lifted him into the cockpit. In seconds over sixty years of age vanished and the old veteran was young again.

You will all have a great time and I hope mother nature is nice to you all.

fernytickles
1st Sep 2010, 14:46
a330pilotcanada - thank you for that. So are you coming along too?

Its my ideal weekend - aeroplanes, flying, and I get to see my sister all in one weekend - what more could a body ask for :)

a330pilotcanada
1st Sep 2010, 15:55
Good Morning Fernytickles:

No I will not as I have prior commitments that being said I would have been there.

For those who are flying in if the fall colours are coming into play and it is nice in the afternoon fly up the Gatineau hills as the scenery is spectacular.

A note of caution around the YOW Vor is a training area and on nice days hang gliders are around the cliffs.

Enjoy your time up here as you will have fun.....

fernytickles
1st Sep 2010, 17:49
We fly in to Carp a couple of times a year, so it will be fun visiting the other side of the river & Ottawa. Just ordered all the charts, so at least I've got that part legal!

a330pilotcanada
2nd Sep 2010, 02:43
Good Evening Fernytickles:

Here is the proposed list for Gatineau so have your cameras ready.....

Wings Over Gatineau en Vol

September 18th, 2010

List of Air Show Performances

FORMATION FLIGHTS:

Battle of Britain Flight-Lead-
Lancaster CWH
Spitfire RAG
Hurricane RAG
Spitfire-JA VWC
Hurricane-RE VWC
BF 109 RAG

Victory Flight-Lead-
P-40-RE VWC
Mustang-JA VWC
Corsair-PK VWC

Victoria Cross Flight-Lead-
Lancaster-DS CWH
Canso- CWH
Corsair-MP VWC

BCATP Flight-Lead-UB
HARVARD-UB VWC
TIGER MOTH-DH VWC
FINCH-RE VWC
CORNELL-AB CW

AEROBATIC PERFORMANCES:
Harvard-RE VWC
Pitts-AB CW
Nanchang-DF

FORMATION AEROBATICS:
Harvards-

JETS:
SABRE-FD VWC
L-39-AB CW

Parade:
Lysander-JA VWC
PT-22 Ryan-AB CW
Beech 18- CW
Stearman- CW
Staggerwing-RE VWC
Focke Wulf
Eagle
Beaver-BC VWC
Fox Moth-DH VWC
T-34
Yak-18
Globe Swift(3)

MILITARY AIRCRAFT:
C-17
C-130

OLDE:
Bleriot

SKY DIVERS:
Go Sky Dive

fernytickles
2nd Sep 2010, 12:40
Thank you for that.

I have to admit, I leave the photography up to the folks who are a whole lot better than me & just enjoy watching, meeting people & absorbing the atmosphere.

Mish Nish
3rd Sep 2010, 11:55
I am SO looking forward to this adventure! Sounds like it's going to be lots of fun, and I've heard whispers that the food is going to be particularly delicious!

Living on the outskirts of Ottawa, very occasionally some of those old aircraft fly over - always a spectacular and memorable sight.*

* OK, so, yes, I admit, life is verrrrry quiet around here. ;)

a330pilotcanada
17th Sep 2010, 14:07
Good Morning All:

From the weather people it looks like a grand week end.....

On Sunday at the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum there will be a service for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Besides the flyby of the Canadian War Plane Heritage aircraft (Lancaster and others), Mr Potter's fine collection the C.A.F. is supposed to have a larger prescence as well. Sadly the Russel Group's Me-109 will not make it due required maintenance inspection.

Enjoy the weekend

Issued: 5:00 AM EDT Friday 17 September 2010

Today:
Sunny. High 17. UV index 5 or moderate.

Tonight:

Clear. Fog patches developing overnight. Low 6.

Saturday:

Sunny. Increasing cloudiness late in the afternoon with 60 percent chance of showers in the evening. Fog patches dissipating in the morning. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h in the evening. High 19.

Sunday:

Sunny. Low 8. High 17.

Monday:

A mix of sun and cloud. Low 7. High 16.

Tuesday:

Periods of rain. Low 7. High 15.

Wednesday:

Periods of rain. Low 9. High 17.

Thursday:

A mix of sun and cloud. Low 8. High 17.

But than again they change the FT to reflect the SA;)

erics2b
19th Sep 2010, 20:14
Some photos going to, and at it (I'm in the Cornell):

http://epboyd.imgur.com/all/share/04Jcl
http://epboyd.imgur.com/all/share/Jpbwl
http://epboyd.imgur.com/all/share/gYXOv
http://epboyd.imgur.com/all/share/SSYHs
http://epboyd.imgur.com/all/share/m6RoZ
http://epboyd.imgur.com/all/share/1qMAP

clunckdriver
19th Sep 2010, 22:57
Oh just bloody wonderful, both aircraft have "US ARMY" on their undersides, last time I checked, most Canadian Cornells were built by Fleet Canada and served in the RCAF {Including mine by the way} So next year I gues the USAAC will have won the Bof B, not the RAF/RCAF/Poles/ Czechs/ Ausies/Kiwis and at least one from the Holy Land.Sorry to be so bloody negative but if you are going to have an event on Bof B Sunday for heavens sake get it right! In no way do I wish to belittle the US forces but if you are selling yourselves as a warbird outfit try to get it right.

erics2b
20th Sep 2010, 02:07
Please calm down Larry. The aircraft is actually an original (not a licensed replica) 1942 Fairchild PT-19A, we refer to it as a "Cornell" (PT-26) as purely slang. In fact, Vintage Wings was extremely interested in buying this exact aircraft, but lost interest when they discovered it was American. The other aircraft are also American (:eek:) - A PT-22 Ryan on left wing, and a PT-17 Stearman was leading. Also brought over were ex Russian air force, Czech built L-39's. The event was not even Battle or Britain themed in fact.

Selling ourselves as a Warbird outfit is something we don't really consider high priority - just a bunch of cool airplanes, that were invited (even knowing they're non Canadian! :eek:) by Vintage Wings.

Yobbo
20th Sep 2010, 03:15
CLUNK

I seem to recall a squadron of "Yanks" who fought in the Battle Of Britain.

punkalouver
20th Sep 2010, 11:15
The outfit from Smiths Falls that brought their aircraft with American markings also did a Pitts demo and had a couple of L-39's and a Beech 18. Their contribution was very appreciated and much more meaningful to a warbird rally than the poster above.

Don't like it, then GO AWAY. You won't be missed.

clunckdriver
20th Sep 2010, 11:50
Sorry if I offended you, I must admit that the very efective re writing of Canadian history by our Southern neighbours is my favorite hobby horse , {Not to in any way takeing away from their huge contributions to the free world in both WW1 and 2} BUT, having just been told by a so called American "Aviation expert" that Rickenbaker was the top WW1 ace of all the aces and that the War of 1812 was won by the Americans, {If so how is Canada still here?} You photos turning up right after the Bof B service I must admit did manage to turn my crank! By the way, there is a re enactment of the war of 1812 to take place next weekend at the Lagan historic site, wonder who will win this time?

clunckdriver
20th Sep 2010, 16:01
Yobo, there was no American Sqdn "per say" in the Bof B, there were however seven very brave young Americans who fought with RAF units during the battle, one was killed, all but one were to die later in the war, The "Eagle" Sqdn was formed after the battle and was an American crewed Sqdn equiped at first with Huricanes, later with Spitfires. These young men were , to quote Francis Mason, the historian, looked upon as "larger than life" characters by the British public and were much respected by all who knew them. I visited the grave of one a few years back on a LHR layover and was very glad to see that mine were not the only fresh flowers by his headstone.

fernytickles
22nd Sep 2010, 11:07
We had a great weekend! Flew up in our C180 via Detroit Thurs/Frid last week, following the crappy weather and arrived to a beautiful afternoon in Gatineau. What a pretty location for an airport. Had a fantastic time volunteering for Vintage Wings as a Rosie the Riveter along with my sister and a new friend on Saturday. Met loads of great people, many with fascinating stories to tell.

Helped with setting up the tables for Saturday night's dinner and met, amongst others, the first female CF18 pilot, and a wonderful former WWII radar operator, Eveline Baker. She was a cracker - 87 years young and as sharp as a pin. Thoroughly enjoyed Rob Erdo's presentation on his experiences flying the 3 main BoB aircraft - Hurricane, Spitfire & ME109, and the Battle of Britain film afterwards.

Flew in to Rockcliff on Sunday and went along to the Battle of Britain memorial service. That was also a great event and the British High Commisioner included a reference to Jeffrey Wellum in his speech. Definitely more relevant than referring to Haiti when speaking at a Battle of Britain memorial service..... :confused:

All in all, a great weekend with some fantastic flying - thank you to all who brought along their lovely aeroplanes - and some great people. Now I just have to escape the soggy Ontario weather, prove to US customs I'm just a plain old foreigner, and make my way home again.

Really looking forward to next year's event :ok: Thanks to EAA Canada & Vintage Wings.