PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get an answer about eye sight requirements for NATS Atco position

xinebessa
24th Aug 2010, 17:45
Was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice.

With a fairly small amount of correction (well within the limits given). I am able to achieve 6/9 vision with my left eye on its own and also with both eyes but not with just my right eye on its own.

I am actually close to 6/6 with both eyes (I have only just started wearing glasses purely due to my application to nats, so have been told I should be able to adjust to 6/6 by the time I take the medical in a few weeks time).

My worry is my right eye wont achieve 6/9 on its own. Does the medical base its decision on individual eyes performances or on the pair working together?

I do of course have the option to go back to the optician and try for a stronger amount of correction in the right eye, but am unsure if this is necesary. I tried speaking to staff at NATS who were unable to help me or give me a number of someone to speak to but instead said to fill out the medical forms and send a copy of my perscription over and then see what happens at the medical. It would be much more helpful if someone was just able to give me an answer as to whether it is individual eyes that are assesed or the pair together.

If anyone had any info or advice or a number of anyone I can contact I would be really really greatful as I am currently losing sleep over this :{

I know its my own fault for not getting my eyes tested before going through all 3 stages and Im an idiot for doing it this way round!

Thanks again!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Aug 2010, 17:52
You say you spoke to NATS but do you mean you spoke with the CAA Medical Department at Gatwick? If not, that's the place to contact:
Tel: 01293 573700

niknak
24th Aug 2010, 19:42
Speak to the CAA Medical folk, they are extremely helpful but I think they'll inform you that unless you are intending to wear a pirates eye patch whilst controlling, its what the two eyes do together which really matters.

Clearly there are limits but in the interim go back to your optician and explain the situation, any decent optomotrist will appreciate your potential problem and decide what is best for you.
When you go for your medical, take the new prescription with you.

All the best.

xinebessa
24th Aug 2010, 20:06
Thanks for the feedback guys. Im hoping that as you say it is case of what my 2 eyes can do together in which case i should be fine.. will call that number tomorrow thanks Heathrow Director

250 kts
24th Aug 2010, 20:24
Good luck on the eye sight issue. Just proves you need to take things one step at a time. It's only a couple of days since you were asking about AAVA rates!

Get accepted, pass the training and get valid first-at least 2.5 years form acceptance to validation-then worry about the money.

xinebessa
24th Aug 2010, 20:48
Aye Im my own worst enemy at times. Got so excited about it all and just went for it without the careful planning :(

I would highly recommend not doing it this way round .. so stressful and only myself to blame

galliwalli
26th Aug 2010, 15:45
Could anyone please help,

I have a British passport and ten years experience on a modern ATC system working as an active area radar controller. Are NATS looking for experienced controllers, and who is the contact person who may shed more light on the subject.

Many thanks.