PDA

View Full Version : more mode "S"

A and C
8th Mar 2002, 12:36
I have been looking into this mode S transponer thing as it will affect the private end of GA and for most of us it is not as bad as some might say.. .. .For aircraft below 5700kg the requirments will be to transmit ALT,registration,and a unique code.. .. .The instalation manuals from King i have yet to see and as of yesterday Garmin had not published a manual , but froom the data that has been published the good news is that for most of you with transponders the new units will be a almost a slide in replacment as both King and garmin units will take the ALT input inboth grey code (99% of GA encoders use this system) and RS232 data bus for those of you with very new encoders or air data computors.. .. .The registration and unique code may require the tray to be changed as this data needs to stay with the aircraft and it is likely that an eprom will be fitted in the tray in the same way as King have done with some GPS units that are configered for individual aircraft.. .. .I hope that this sheds some light on the situation and it shows that it is not as bad as the editorials in some of the magazines has made out and as i stated on another thread on this subject i dont think that eurocontrol have an answer as to what to do with aircraft that dont have an electrical system ,i suspect that they will put you into the "not enough to matter" box and just egnore you.