PDA

View Full Version : IAA Student Controller Programme 2010

Corkee
24th Aug 2010, 13:07
Afternoon all,

I have been invited to the Stage 1 pencil and paper aptitude test in the 2010 IAA ACT recruitment process.

Apart from a description of "Space Relations, Numerical, Abstract, and Mechanical Reasoning" no other information is provided for the 4 tests.

If anyone can give a little more detail of what to expect, or any other advice/recommendations that would be appreciated.

Thanks ...

The Beerhunter
24th Aug 2010, 15:50
probably multiple choice answers for ease of correcting, but likely that each section is timed so don't think too hard for too long. :8

Blockla
24th Aug 2010, 18:03
A quick google search:

Numerical Differential Ability Scale

This differential aptitude test measures your capability to interpret numerical relationships between different figures.
Your mathematical reasoning is also tested. You can improve your performance by going through basic mathematical manuals and science hand books.

Abstract Reasoning Differential Ability Scale

Abstract Reasoning (AR) is not your verbal fluency...
This differential aptitude test measures your reasoning when you solve problems in terms of size, shape, position, quantity or other geometric figures and shapes. Logical thinking is involved.

Mechanical Reasoning Differential Ability Scale

Mechanical Reasoning (MR) measures your ability to understand mechanical principles of machines, motion and devices.
It is an important test for engineering and machine operation jobs. It involves logic with motion. However, specialized knowledge is not required.

Space Relations Differential Ability Scale

Space Relations (SP) measures your capability to analyze three dimensional figures. How do you see 2D or 3D drawings? When you are looking for some job in engineering, architecture or designing you must expect such kind of aptitude test.

These are all sorts of things you can't really study for, you have these abilities or you don't; you can always 'bone up' on your maths... The number 60 is generally the key in ATC maths...

Corkee
24th Aug 2010, 21:08
Thanks Beerhunter and Blockla, speed/distance/time are on the bone up list.

Agatka
29th Aug 2010, 18:44
Hi,

What's the date for your test?

Corkee
31st Aug 2010, 22:48
Sat 11th Sep, but reckon they'll be running a few more of them

Blockla
1st Sep 2010, 12:25
I hear that only the top 20% or so will get through phase one; due to the large number of applicants, so getting to stage two is worthy of a pat on the back but you'll still be a long way off an employment offer.

silverfield
2nd Sep 2010, 14:38
Had mine in Dublin on Tuesday the 31st..... Over 4000 applied, IAA lady said that they are testing about 600 in Dublin over 5 days and the same in Limerick so already you are in the last 33% more or less. Out of the 120 people last Tuesday she said she got about 20 no shows - so lets say that happens every day well then that's another 200 gone which leaves about 1000. I would imagine only about 400 of these will go forward to the second stage which in theory would give a passing mark of 60%???(but who knows) from there I would say 150 go on to first interview and from there only about 80-90 people will go on to the final interview for a place as one of the lucky 24......

Agatka
2nd Sep 2010, 19:18
I had mine on the 31st, also in Dublin at 4 pm. I suppose that there will be no "passing mark", but only the best will go through to the next stage. It depends on how well everyone did.
Anyway, how did you do, Silverfield? I thought it was very quick, no time to think, either you know or you don't know.

silverfield
3rd Sep 2010, 09:29
Yeah it was quick, the two hrs flew by. You're right, you either know it or you don't...it's that simple. Aptitude can't be learned I guess. I felt it was ok but my downfall has always been spatial awareness! If they weight each section seperately I might be in trouble, if not who knows? I guess we all now play the waiting game...

CCWR_Oldie
3rd Sep 2010, 15:38
I’m just wondering Silverfield, are you sure she said there were only 5 days of tests in Dublin? If they started on or before the 31st and Corkee has one on 11th Sept that looks more like about 10 days x120 people. Which could be 1200+ in Dublin and Limerick. Then if they have 2 sittings per day it looks even worse.

It’s my first time ever doing anything like this but my sister did a pilot’s one years ago. My understanding is that the first test is quite open i.e. they don’t turn too many away. Then after that it gets harder.

Although it’s still 4134 down to 25 whichever way you cut it !!

silverfield
3rd Sep 2010, 17:33
Yes CCWR you are right. I guess the IAA lady on the day was not telling it as it really was. It now looks like that they did two tests a day, five/six days a week in Dub and will do the same in Lim - which as you say could run up to around 2400 people? I really don't know how many will go forward from that group but the next stage is computerised so I'm sure they would have limited capacity for testing??? Maybe they could do 400? I've no idea - anyway nothing to do but wait and see. Good luck to all.

DIAF
7th Sep 2010, 08:26
I just did this testing on Friday. The lady said that 41xx people qualified for the first round of testing. Last of the testing would be done on the 13th of September and 8 days or so later we should hear who moves on to the next stage.

billh989
7th Sep 2010, 19:15
Sat mine Monday 9am in Limerick, dying with a cold and sore throat at the time which didn't help the mood. Think I did pretty ok except for the mathemathical so I doubt I'll be called back to stage two .Pity though would've love that job even with all the work involved to get into the hotseat.

Ho hum back to the day job.

high meadow 19
8th Sep 2010, 20:26
4245? with only 25 places....................
maybe good news guys and gals rumour now of two groups of 25.........
total 50 positions......good luck all

dublinaviator
8th Sep 2010, 21:30
Its not a rumour, its true. The first course of 25 starts in January, and the second starts in May.

CCWR_Oldie
10th Sep 2010, 11:53
50 places. That's a relief - I can put the feet up!!

So how did ye hear about this? Not that I'm doubting your veracity for a moment.

At least it brings the odds up from 0.5% to 1.0%.

Personally I can't quite 'get my head around' the numbers of applicants. The tests are still going on for a few days and I did mine on the 1st Sept. Even as I was in the queue to get into my test I was thinking this is a lot of people to get picked from i.e. being in the top 25 out of say 100-125 is pretty good. As it is you really need to come top out of each group of 165. Not easy at all...

WILCO.XMG
13th Sep 2010, 19:22
Any idea when to expect a reply about the next stage, if you made the cut or not. Hoping to go to holland soon but cant guarantee anything until i hear back from the IAA.

L.Erikisson
13th Sep 2010, 22:03
The last exam in round one was today and the replys will be sent within 8 working days,go to holland regardless your only a cheap ryan air flight away!

bsal
15th Sep 2010, 21:45
Its not a rumour, its true. The first course of 25 starts in January, and the second starts in May

I hope this is true.

silverfield
17th Sep 2010, 11:18
Anybody get any feedback yet on round one results?

Corkee
17th Sep 2010, 20:38
L.Erikisson did you sit your round 1 on Mon 13th?
IAA lady mentioned that it was the last day of testing in Limerick on Sat 11th and results would issue within 8 days, don't recall any mention of 8 working days so I'm thinking results should issue by this Monday if everything is running on time.

L.Erikisson
18th Sep 2010, 15:31
I sat my round 1 exams on wed the 8th in Limerick.Jackie Mahon from the IAA said the last exam is on MON 13TH and the results would come within 8 days so maybe tue next week?

angry_muppet
18th Sep 2010, 20:31
I was speaking to someone in Recruitment who advised that 700 will be invited to the computer tests... Happily I passed the FEAST tests for NATS, so I can use those results. :) Would I be alone in thinking the tests for the IAA were substantially easier than NATS selection?

Blockla
19th Sep 2010, 10:43
Would I be alone in thinking the tests for the IAA were substantially easier than NATS selection?careful muppet...

angry_muppet
20th Sep 2010, 16:23
No offence meant, nor slight to the IAA, but I just felt more comfortable with the questions. I was hoping that being cocky wouldn't bite me in the behind, but thankfully I've just been asked to the FEAST tests.

WILCO.XMG
20th Sep 2010, 17:50
Has there been any contact back from the IAA yet,

Or have I been a blow out?

:sad:

dublinaviator
20th Sep 2010, 18:14
Not yet no, I'd say they won't be out till Thursday or Friday.

silverfield
20th Sep 2010, 18:34
Did muppet not just say he got asked back for round 2? Latest day for feedback is this Thursday.

Stoffel_KT
20th Sep 2010, 20:44
I have to say that me too recieved a possitive reply in my mailbox today.
Nevertheless I wouldn't worry too much yet if you did not, since I think it takes them more than a day to reply to all 700 who will be able to proceed.

As well take a look in your junk-mail. This was where my ended up comming into.

Best of luck to all of ya!!!

coolroe
21st Sep 2010, 09:19
I'm thinking that if 2 people on here have heard that they have got through then they must have informed the successful candidates first and the rest of us will get the PFO letter over the coming day or so

Garret C
21st Sep 2010, 09:53
Only one person said that they got a successful reply and hes apparently in Belgium. NATS is in the UK so nothing to do with the IAA. I haven't heard of anyone getting a reply yet and I know a few people that did it all on different days. Everyone will get a reply and it will be via email.

Shamrock128
21st Sep 2010, 11:38
Someone on another Irish forum said they phoned the IAA HR department today and were told that the emails "will be be out by close of business today or lunch time tomorrow".

Good luck to all involved!:ok:

Agatka
21st Sep 2010, 11:51
I called recriutment today in the morning and they told me that the results will be sent out today in the afternoon and tomorrow. There was no emails sent yet.

Agatka
21st Sep 2010, 12:05
Actually, it seems like Stoffel is saying he got an email from iaa. Maybe it's just a big imagination.

Staphy
21st Sep 2010, 12:06
Thanks Agatka! :ok:

Yep, it's quite unusual that others are claiming to have received correspondence from the IAA....

Eire_wannabe
21st Sep 2010, 12:06
Stoffel_KT you Belgian :mad: :=

angry_muppet
21st Sep 2010, 17:26
I can confirm I meant that I had received an email advising that I had passed the grade required for the first stage and would be progressing to the FEAST stage.

Shamrock128
21st Sep 2010, 19:07
Got my invitation to the FEAST test on the 13th in the Gresham:)

Good luck to everyone else!

doublerainbow
22nd Sep 2010, 02:51
I also got my invite to the FEAST round in Dublin on the 11th. Congrats to everyone and good luck!

coolroe
22nd Sep 2010, 07:28
Well, thats the end of the road for me.

Best of luck to those who are going forward

Coolroe

billh989
22nd Sep 2010, 10:09
Same here, got the PFO email last night. I reckon it was the maths side of things that got me.

I actually found the spatial awareness side of things easy enough and the mechanical and other section wasn't too bad.

Might give HR a shout when the fuss dies down and see can they give me a breakdown on where I fell short. If its the maths I can work on that and try again in 3 years.

Gutted over not going to stage two but its made me more determined to get it the next time.

Bill

WILCO.XMG
14th Oct 2010, 12:36
Bump -

Just done the FEAST exam there today in Dublin.

Found it very difficult actually, struggled to keep my brain engaged all the way through calculating the cube nets etc.

Wondering how everyone else found it?

L.Erikisson
14th Oct 2010, 19:20
How difficult was the second round compaired to the first round wilco?unfortunatley for me I will not be going on to the second round but Im intrested to hear how people get on.I sent an email to the IAA the other day and I got a break down of the results.

4089 applicants were called to Test and 2555 applicants sat
the Test. The overall standard for these Tests was
very high and 800 people were called to Stage 2.

Your scores for the Test were:

There were 40 questions in Numerical Reasoning, you scored
There were 40 questions in Abstract Reasoning, you scored
There were 60 questions in Mechanical Reasoning, you scored
There were 50 questions in Space Relations, you scored 40
Your ranked placing was 903.
Yours sincerely
Human Resources Division

Maybe 3 years time....altho looking at those results I dont know?

WILCO.XMG
14th Oct 2010, 22:14
Im not sure if i'm at liberty to discuss the ins and outs of the FEAST exam, I had to sign two disclaimers before I could actually sit the exam.

I personally found it difficult in comparison to the pencil and paper test. Was a lot longer and I felt a little vague in regards to the questions and what was required.

In regards to your question they aren't a lot of similarities in the pencil and paper exam and the computer one so if you didn't score too good in the pencil and paper it certainly doesn't mean you won't be cut out for the computer so keep your head up about that :ok:

It will be good to see how many they take on to the first interview, I can't imagine I will be one of them but it will be interesting.

Shamrock128
15th Oct 2010, 10:12
Just done the FEAST exam there today in Dublin.

Found it very difficult actually, struggled to keep my brain engaged all the way through calculating the cube nets etc.

Wondering how everyone else found it?

Sat the FEAST test on Wednesday, I found some parts easy enough and I enjoyed it up to the point where I suddenly couldn't quite keep up with the sort test and also struggled with the reaction test (kept hitting the wrong key - would mean to hit 4 but would press 3 for some reason :ugh:). Feeling very disappointed with my performance to be honest, I know I could have done better.

However, if it's a true test of what's required to be an ATCO and I haven't reached the requirement, gutted as I will be, I suppose I can't really complain if I don't get a call to interview.

I wonder how many are to progress to the interview stage? I expect the next week to pass VERY slowly while we await our faith :uhoh:.

DIAF
15th Oct 2010, 16:01
Anybody know when they will inform people if they have passed or not?

jwabh
15th Oct 2010, 17:24
they said theyd let pple know by the 22nd as far as i remember

chemi
22nd Oct 2010, 18:51
I received today the invitation to the preliminary interview!!

However, I have a doubt. I'm not sure if I will be available to start in the first quarter 2011. In this recruiting process, do they normally select people for just one course? Or do they normally select people for two courses in each SCP?

Any feedback would be really appreciated!!

Flying_Badger
22nd Oct 2010, 19:19
congrats chemi! I also got called for interview on the 2nd.

I heard that this year it was going to be just one class of 24 starting Q1 2011.

I'm not sure how this affects you but if you can't start it then I would suggest letting them know as I'm sure plenty of others would like a chance at the interview!

All the best,
Badger

chemi
22nd Oct 2010, 19:26
Thank you Flying Badger!!Congrats for you too!!

You are right. Anyway, I will ask them directly on Monday to get their feedback and try to sort things out. Thank you for the information!!

Shamrock128
22nd Oct 2010, 20:52
From page one of this thread:

"4245? with only 25 places....................
maybe good news guys and gals rumour now of two groups of 25.........
total 50 positions......good luck all"

and...

"Its not a rumour, its true. The first course of 25 starts in January, and the second starts in May."

I can't stand over what these guys have posted but someone in the IAA HR department must be able to confirm or deny this. You should make a phone call and find out for sure because if there is no course in May and you are not available in January, you may be denying someone else a chance at this by going ahead and attending the interview.

I was one of the lucky ones to be called back and have my prelim interview on Tue 2nd. Thought I had blown it in the FEAST test but obviously did well enough in the end. :)

jossbomal
23rd Oct 2010, 13:45
Hello,

I have also passed the FEAST selection and got the pre. interview on the 11th.
Any idea about the dress code? So far, they asked for smart-casual, maybe a suit would be more... suitable!
Also, I was wondering whether any of you had heard things about any students who failed during the two-years training.

Tchusss!

octopus4848
23rd Oct 2010, 18:18
Got the e-mail to say I'm through to the next round.... but I'm not sure what the British equivalent is to the Irish qualifications... and will need to track down the originals of my exam certificates also...

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I have e-mailed the HR department, I filled in my qualifications on my initial application (I'm pretty sure we were asked for them) and would have hoped that if these did not meet the minimum criteria then I wouldn't have been invited to interview...

Any help greatly appreciated...

I too found the second test much harder than the first, I enjoyed some parts and not others, I hope I can continue with the application process further as I am really keen to join the IAA!

thorisgod
23rd Oct 2010, 19:52
I believe it's a passed leaving certificate, including maths and english, Think that's A levels

littlerock
26th Oct 2010, 21:55
Hi there,
New to this site, passed FEAST test and invited to preliminary interview.
A couple of questions.
Anyone any idea what this interview will entail, what type of questions likely to be asked and any good site's (apart from this one of course:ok:) worth visiting.

Thanks
Littlerock

angry_muppet
1st Nov 2010, 17:44
From the IAA page: Irish Aviation Authority - Commonly Asked Questions (http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?&1n=93&2n=98&p=382&n=373&a=0)

If it's like the NATS application, my guess is that it'll be an interview to suss out if you're really interested in being a controller, a "personality" interview. My 2c

jossbomal
7th Nov 2010, 14:47
Hello fellows!

Does any of you have feedback to share after the preliminary interview?
Good luck for next week!

octopus4848
16th Nov 2010, 15:28
End of the line for me, got my e-mail today. :{ I feel really disappointed, especially after travelling at great expense to Dublin 3 times!! Felt that the interview didn't go very well at all though, I was really nervous... Good luck to the lucky 100 who go through to the next round! :D