PDA

View Full Version : PPL Revalidation

CdoGunner
23rd Aug 2010, 16:23
Wonder if any of you can help? I have a rather elderly PPL issued in 1980, my last certificate of experience in my log book was 1997. Having now returned to the UK what other than a medical do I need to do to revalidate or do I need to start again? Did try CAA at Gatwick but ended getting hacked off with the music on hold.

gissabreak
23rd Aug 2010, 17:02
Hello

This is the relevant extract from LASORS:

Where licence holders have been unable to renew a SEP
(Land) or TMG Class Rating for a period exceeding 5
years from the date of expiry*, they will be required to
complete the following requirements:
i. The CAA will require no mandatory additional
training. Applicants should complete training at their
own discretion sufficient to pass the Skill Test.
ii. Complete the Skill Test in accordance with
Appendices 1 & 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 with a JAR
Authorised Examiner.
iii. Pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination
conducted by the Examiner as part of the Skill Test.
iv. The LST/LPC form, completed as a renewal, should
be sent to CAA PLD for endorsement, together with
the appropriate fee as per the Scheme of Charges.
v. The Examiner should make no licence entry.
For renewal of an Instrument rating, if held, please refer
to Section E1.5.
*Where an applicant can show that they are currently
flying under the privileges of an ICAO licence, and
are flying the same aircraft type/class within their UK
or JAR-FCL licence, the renewal requirements will
be based on the expiry date of the rating currently
being exercised

If you are near Oxford Airport, pop in and have a coffee with us!
Good luck:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Aug 2010, 17:22
Training as necessary to pass a test (look in LASORS if you want the real words).

In my case after 13 years off I went through the entire PPL course, but at about twice the speed.

flybymike
23rd Aug 2010, 17:32
certificate of experience

Ah,.... those halcyon Group A, pre SEP, pre JAA, pre Easa, pre 90 day rules, pre Biennial flights , pre annual MEP test days etc etc....:hmm:

CdoGunner
23rd Aug 2010, 17:41
LASORS? Sorry thick ex soldier, sounds like a staff college exercise.

TheChitterneFlyer
23rd Aug 2010, 18:01
Here's the relevent extract from LASORS...

F1.5 RENEWAL OF SINGLE-ENGINE PISTON – SEP (LAND), TMG CLASS RATINGS

Where licence holders have been unable to renew a SEP (Land) or TMG Class Rating for a period not exceeding 5 years from the date of expiry, they will be required to complete the following requirements:

i. The CAA will require no mandatory additional training. Applicants should complete training at their own discretion sufficient to pass the Skill Test.

ii. Complete the Skill Test in accordance with Appendices 1 & 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 with a JAR Authorised Examiner. For renewal of an instrument
rating if held, please refer to Section E1.5.

iii. Pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the Examiner as part of the skill test.

iv. A UK Authorised Examiner can sign the Certificate of Revalidation page (FCL150CJAR) within a UK national pilot’s licence. An Examiner qualified in
accordance with JAR-FCL (in any fully compliant JAA Member State) can sign a Certificate of Revalidation page within a JAR-FCL licence. The
LST/LPC form, completed as a renewal, should be sent to CAA PLD.

v. The CAA will charge no fee provided that the Examiner signs the Certificate of Revalidation.

Where licence holders have been unable to renew a SEP (Land) or TMG Class Rating for a period exceeding 5 years from the date of expiry*, they will be required to complete the following requirements:

i. The CAA will require no mandatory additional training. Applicants should complete training at their own discretion sufficient to pass the Skill Test.

ii. Complete the Skill Test in accordance with Appendices 1 & 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 with a JAR Authorised Examiner.

iii. Pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the Examiner as part of the Skill Test.

iv. The LST/LPC form, completed as a renewal, should be sent to CAA PLD for endorsement, together with the appropriate fee as per the Scheme of Charges.

v. The Examiner should make no licence entry.

For renewal of an Instrument rating, if held, please refer to Section E1.5.

*Where an applicant can show that they are currently flying under the privileges of an ICAO licence, and are flying the same aircraft type/class within their UK or JAR-FCL licence, the renewal requirements will be based on the expiry date of the rating currently being exercised.

Best of luck

TCF

Whopity
24th Aug 2010, 07:47
Quite often there is confusion regarding the Skill Test to be taken. It is not the PPL Issue Skill Test (2+ hrs) but the same as the Profficiency Check you can take in lieu of experience (about 1 hour). Section 3 navigation is at the discretion of the examinier and after 13 years will be a bit longer than if you had more recent experience. So training to pass the test listed here
(http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157.pdf)
There is one other issue after 13 years and thats the RT licence. You will need to retake the exams in accordance with LASORS B1.6 to get the FRTOL re-issued. The holder of a FRTOL expired for more than 1 year
but less than 10 years, will be required to pass the
theoretical written examination. To renew a FRTOL
that has expired by 10 years or more, applicants will
be required to pass the practical Communications
test and theoretical written examination.
The holder of a UK national flight crew licence with
lifetime validity, who has not exercised the
privileges of the FRTOL for a period exceeding 10
years, will be required to pass the practical
Communications test and theoretical written
examination in order to renew the FRTOL.

CdoGunner
24th Aug 2010, 17:21
Thank you for the info, will trot off to Sywell to book a few slots. Again thank you all for your time.:D

Old Gunners never die, they just drop shorter