PDA

View Full Version : Getting more involved...volunteer work

AJ1990
22nd Aug 2010, 21:00
I'm trying to find some volunteer work (approx. 15 hours a week) at the local airfields near to me and just wondered what liklihood I have of being offered some? I just want to be more invloved in flying and gain some good experiences and hopefully some knowledge along the way. I'm looking around Essex but North Weald would be perfect as it's the closest and there's plenty of interesting stuff going on around there. Any possible ways of finding work / contacts would be really appreciated. I'm popping down there in the next couple of days but just wanted to guage my chances of finding some work.

Thanks for any advice once again :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Aug 2010, 21:54
Depends what you're after out of it.

If you want to get some flying, try advertising something like "I'll wash your aeroplane in exchange for being taken flying" on the club notice board.

If you want to get to know shedloads more about flying machines, try volunteering at the nearest museum.

If you want to feel you've used some aviation skills and knowledge to make the world a better place, try contacting somebody like Aviation Without Borders (http://www.aviationwithoutborders.org/) to see if you can help out.

G

AJ1990
23rd Aug 2010, 19:40
Thanks for the advice, Aviation Without Borders looks really interesting I mite drop an email by them and see what they have to offer. I really just want to be more involved in anyway possible, I'm not fussy! I'd prefer something in the hanger but I could imagine being viewed as more of a hinderance to those trying to get on with their job than anything else possibly. What services could a volunteer offer to an airfield which would be appreciated?

Thanks