PDA

View Full Version : Kirkwall

Stephen Furner
21st Aug 2010, 22:20
I was recently camping at John O’Groats so I got a local ferry across to Orkney. While in Kirkwall I got a bus out to the airport to ask about flying in by light aircraft. The person I spoke to at the information desk in the terminal was really welcoming. He thought it was great and was very keen on the idea; he was prepared to pass on contact numbers for the local club using the airport and talked about people flying in not just from the UK but all around northern Europe. Apparently, until recently Kirkwall offered a cheap landing card for light aircraft on a weekend visit. Looked to me like a handy place to be based if exploring the area.

Kirkwall Airport | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2049407&id=1118091118&l=0cd2f2e84c)

Humaround
21st Aug 2010, 22:50
May have been the same gent we met when we flew there in the RV6 in 2008. Could not have been more helpful - he phoned around for B&B for us, and found us travel information to get to Hoy to visit the Lyness Naval Cemetery.

madlandrover
21st Aug 2010, 23:05
Kirkwall's great in a light aircraft - I've done it a few times, and last year organised a school flyout in 4 aircraft from the Midlands. Also well worth liaising with Tommy Sinclair to see if you can drop into Lambholm for a visit and a look around, especially to see the Italian POW Chapel there.

Stampe
22nd Aug 2010, 05:54
Great place beautiful scenery took a couple of Robins up there this spring.Airfield very welcoming but only hangarage £100 per night per aircraft...so they sat out under covers well tied down.Weather is very changeable and turns very quickly!!Good hotels and car hire made this a very easy trip logistically.Very interesting local history especially Scapa Flow and itsassociated disused airfields.VBR Stampe

Scotsheli
22nd Aug 2010, 17:49
Stephen,

PM me if you want info. I know the guys at the Orkney Flying Club and can also offer some hints and tips about flying around Orkney; what to look at and where to (and not to) land etc.

Scots