PDA

View Full Version : Pounds V Bucks

Toppers
18th May 2001, 00:32
I know flight training is cheaper in the US
I know the weather is almost guaranteed there
I know licence conversion is not costly

But, WHY do so many people complain about the age of the aircraft our clubs own when they are not spending their money in this country?

The US are laughing...... soon we'll be
crying.

Who would agree with me that persevering in th UK for our cherished licences/ratings will only help our cause in the long run?

Sensible
18th May 2001, 02:42
Topper, not been to the USA then?

Well, training can be a lot cheaper if properly planned.

Guaranteed weather huh? I wish somebody had reminded me of that when I was unable to fly EVERY morning for three weeks due to vis being below IFR minimums!

Most of the aircraft in flight schools are substantially older than most of the pilots who fly them! If anything, the aircraft at the US flying schools are scruffier than UK airplanes because of usage.

licence conversion CAA to FAA piece of free admin takes about an hour. FAA to CAA now that's another story and then try to rent an airplane in Spain on an FAA licence!

Sadly, there is in my opinion much less fun to be had in the Uk than the US simply because aviation has been stifled in the UK what with high fuel charges, the increased costs per hour because of low utilisation of aircraft, old NDB's rather than ILS systems at airfields, spartan facilities comared with the US, landing charges are almost unheard of, flying is allowed into international airports to name but a few. I haven't even mentioned the courtesy cars which many FBO's allow you to just borrow free gratis. I could go on for ever, some say that I do!!

BayAreaLondoner
19th May 2001, 01:24
Sensible - off topic, but you seem to know... what is involved in converting an FAA private pilot certificate to a CAA or JAA one?
Is there info out there on the web? The JAA site didn't seem to be terribly helpful when I checked it recently.

Thanks,

David.

Sensible
19th May 2001, 02:34
I'm afraid I'm not your man for what's involved, I've got a CAA license. I was helping a German with the paperwork in Spain, I was able to fly on my CAA licence, he was faced with miles of paperwork which in the end proved insurmountable in the short time available to him. I believe from memory that he also needed to visit a Notary (lawyer)as part of the process before he could get to fly in Spain!

PPRuNer "Watford" is your man for absolute certainty on the conversion requirements of the CAA.

BayAreaLondoner
19th May 2001, 19:27
Sensible - many thanks.