PDA

View Full Version : £50 coffee - oh no! Better things to do?

Fuji Abound
18th May 2001, 00:17
The flying is great and the hours are nicely accumulating, as well as hopefully the experience. The trips are getting longer, when time permits. Aeros and IMC all add to the challenge. However, sometimes just getting there and turning around is not enough!

Many airports have little of interest close by and/or the taxi fares just add to the cost. There are some exceptions - where there are places close by, well worth a visit.

Here are a couple. Cambridge! A park and ride bus runs into the City every ten minutes. The city is excellent for shopping, good restaurants, interesting sight seeing and even some punting.

Cranfield. Worth going to the snow dome -ski and snowboard fans. Real snow and just 10 minutes from the airport - by taxi I am afraid.

What other suggestions are there.

[This message has been edited by Fuji Abound (edited 19 May 2001).]

Aussie Andy
18th May 2001, 13:30
Hi there,

I was also looking for inspiration recently - and got some fabulous replies in the thread at http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum53/HTML/000489.html - might be worth checking out?

Andy

Genghis the Engineer
18th May 2001, 17:15
Old Sarum - just about walkable from the City of Salisbury (impressive Cathedral if you're into such things, but lots of other attractions).

Duxford - huge aircraft museum.

Dunkeswell - small but interesting museum of the history of the airfield.

Booker - museum of film flying.

G

DB6
19th May 2001, 17:06
Duxford is an absolute must, and Old Warden is well worth a visit too. Cosford's got a good museum but I'm not sure about flying in - it's MOD so I think you need an insurance indemnity.

Capt Wannabe
19th May 2001, 19:12
Have you tried Norwich. It too has a park and ride bus to the city centre every 10 minutes, and it leaves from near the airport.

------------------
CW
The original not the imposter!

JB007
19th May 2001, 19:27
With Summer approaching..have you considered the Channel Islands...JSY's a great day out.

Or the usual North French Coast airfields...Deauville is nice..and of course Le Touquet, more 'G' reg's than 'F' reg's on a nice weather weekend !!!

Think Fuel Drawback !!!!

------------------
Regards JB007!
[email protected]
Flight Ops,Crewing and Dispatch Moderator

aerobat
19th May 2001, 21:41
Weybourne on the north Norfolk coast. Only a caravan on site but less than ten minutes walk away is a really first class military museum with aircraft, tanks, weapons and a million and one other assorted things,also has a good restaurant.

Wassat Noyze
21st May 2001, 12:57
Bodmin - The Eden Project. Give the airfield manager a call and he will help you out with transport - the club mini-bus may be available for groups.

matspart3
22nd May 2001, 02:13
Gloucestershire (Staverton)

Five minute walk and a ten minute bus ride (about £6 by taxi)to Gloucester: -
Beautiful Cathedral
Historic Docks
Various museums
Antique Centre

...or Cheltenham
Excellent shopping
Good food
Occaisional horseracing
Nightlife
Ladies College

All in the heart of the beautiful Cotswolds, six runways, full ATC, no controlled airspace etc. etc.

Natterjack
22nd May 2001, 03:49
JER is a great place to visit, especially on a hot and clear July or August weekend. I experienced the delights of the island last year; it was an incredibly beautiful and totally worthwhile 40-minute flight last July. The only drawback (may not be so bad) is that, on Saturday's during the summer, the airport is incredibly busy. Indeed, I believe the airport is ranked (or at least was) the UK's 6th busiest airport on summer Saturday's.

Anyhow, definitely worth a visit!

------------------
I spend most of my money on beer and women; the rest I just waste.

[This message has been edited by Natterjack (edited 21 May 2001).]

DOC.400
24th May 2001, 16:52
DB6

-You can fly into Cosford and you're right, you need Crown Indemnity. It's about £35 when I went in for lndg fee and insurance. Well worth it though, but exhibits poorly signed/description etc., and no staff to ask.

I've got Crown Indemnity on my bird anyway -it doesn't cost anything -just lots of form filling....

englishal
25th May 2001, 05:11
Alderney in the Channel Islands good little place. No landing fees if you buy fuel, and there's a good curry house near by! Get your duty frees as well...

Dan Winterland
26th May 2001, 01:24
Clacton - sun, sand, sea and kiss me quick hats within walking distance.

Keef
26th May 2001, 13:00
Then there's the quick dash across the Channel to Calais, Ostend, or Le Touquet. Duty drawback, excellent food, and the opportunity to try out your French on the nice folks at Lille Approach.

Delightful!