PDA

View Full Version : Piper Turbo Arrow - costs to run?

Kiltie
17th May 2001, 23:09
Does anyone out there own or fly one of these machines, either a III or a IV.

I'd like to know the price of a factory REMAN engine (fitted in the UK) and also how the prop TBO time works, and how much servicing/replacement is. What are your annuals and STAR annuals costing you on average? How do the checks run under JAR145 for a Private Cat C of A these days?

What cruise speed do you flight plan at, TAS?

Trying to budget for a purchase, so hope some of you can answer some of these questions.

IFollowRoads
18th May 2001, 11:11
Run an Arrow 180 with a fair number of figures if this helps....

AC-DC
18th May 2001, 12:50
Go the the following. There is a discution about the subgect. http://risingup.com/forums/
If you do not fly above FL90 a Turbo will not give you a great deal of economy/range.

Kiltie
18th May 2001, 13:52
IFollowroads-yep, any info. would be helpful, particularly your prop times/costs and overall servicing and costs.

AC/DC - thanks for that - its a helpful read.Need the turbo to clear the Scottish mountains and try to get above the weather, its a compromise against a twin with de-ice and all the associated costs. Before anyone jumps down my throat, yes I know this theory does not absolve me from collecting ice on the way up/down.

IFollowRoads
22nd May 2001, 05:04
Hmmm. Prop thing is a bit of a sore point right now - a normal AWN75 should be around 500-600 sterling, the bare blade around 800. (this is for a standard two blader, I don't know if the CAA approve the three blade option) My blades were the originals (I believe) and just missed by a whisker the minimum size limit, so I've just shelled out five and a half big 'uns for a pair of blades and 6 year inspection.

The first annual after I purchased was a bit of a blow - around nine biggies, but that included *three* undercarriage downlocks! - yeeeooow!! (or nearly!) You will get used to the stupid prices in avaition (like 120 quid for a landing light switch) Fuel burn is around 10us/hour, which one or two up is around 130-135 IAS. At max weight it drops to nearer 120-125, but runway length can ne interesting (just came out of St.Pierre D'Oleron this weekend - the 900m stip would be fine if the grass wasn't two feet tall - we just got out at MTOW in 26 degC nil wind with around 100m to spare)

I fly this one around Scotland a fair bit, and would say the turbo is not essential in the UK. Bear in mind you'll have to get the O2 kit when you start getting much over FL100 anyway (I've since got it, but thats for Switzerland where there is some seriously high ground), and from what I've heard (ie no credibility) the turbo'd engines rarely make it to TBO without serious money being spent

HTH - post again if you want more info