PDA

View Full Version : Flying G Reg aircraft on non JAA licences

Dan the weegie
19th Aug 2010, 16:14
This one was interesting I thought I'd share it as I always believed that in order to fly a G-Reg aircraft for any reason you needed a JAR licence. This is incorrect and the CAA pointed me to the ANO which validates any ICAO licence for a private flight only in the UK.

Worth remembering for those wanting to go flying with an overseas pilot :)

Deeming a non-United Kingdom flight crew licence valid
62 (1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), paragraph (2) applies to any licence which authorises
the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft and is granted
(a) under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is
not a JAA licence; or
(b) under the law of a relevant overseas territory.
(2) Subject to paragraph (4), for the purposes of this Part, such a licence is, unless the
CAA gives a direction to the contrary, deemed to be a licence rendered valid under
this Order.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to such a licence if it authorises the holder to act as a
student pilot only.
(4) A licence deemed valid under paragraph (2) does not entitle the holder
(a) to act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of
commercial air transport, public transport or aerial work or on any flight for which
the holder receives remuneration for services as a member of the flight crew; or
(b) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled
airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules
or to give any instruction in flying.
(5) A JAA licence is, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, a licence rendered
valid under this Order.

IO540
19th Aug 2010, 19:22
Yes; this one is well known to the regulars here, but not well known to most people, otherwise the UK PPL training business would be decimated :)

Whopity
20th Aug 2010, 08:15
CAA pointed me to the ANO which validates any ICAO licence for a private flight only in the UK.As said many times before, the UK ANO appplies to a G Reg aeroplane anywhere that it may be in the World so it is not restricted to a flight only in the UK.
Art 247Extra-territorial effect of the Order(b)
247.—(1) Except where the context otherwise requires, the provisions of this Order, in so far as they apply (whether by express reference or otherwise)—
(a) to aircraft registered in the United Kingdom, apply to such aircraft wherever they may be;

BackPacker
20th Aug 2010, 09:29
A slight problem with this might be that this is an *implicit* validation. Meaning that you don't get a piece of paper from the CAA that tells you that your FAA license with suchandsuch number is validated for private flight on G-ABCD or whatever.

Without such a piece of paper, if you do get ramp-checked in, say, Italy, you'll confuse the hell out of the officials. It might be a good idea to print this part of the ANO and take it with you on foreign trips.

chopperchappie
21st Aug 2010, 16:24
Hi - I am just trying to get my head around who can fly what, and I get the general impression that;

A) UK JAA License holder can fly a G-Reg anywhere

B) A UK JAA License holder can typically fly another JAA country aircraft

C) There seems to be generic dispensation to fly another country's A/C in their country (e.g. an N-REG in the US) with a validation.

D) Some places (Oz / NZ / South Africa) have some special arrangements out of historic agreements with UK CAA etc.

Is that about right ? Are there any broad brush rules or any interesting quirks.

I am especially interested in anything in Oz / NZ / Caribbean as that's where I'd like to fly.

Whopity
21st Aug 2010, 21:51
A correct
B correct
C This is more complex and depends on a number of factors. The rules relating to flying another States aircraft depend very much on the rules of the State of Registration of the Aircraft. ICAO Annex 1 states that ICAO signatories should allow ICAO licensed pilots to exercise PPL privileges in their aircraft however; its up to each State to arrange how they go about it. The UK simply includes this provision in the ANO, Art 62. Other States require a written validation.

In Oz or NZ you can apply for a validation for a limited period. The Caribean covers a number of different Administrations.

The only broad brush rule is that you read the requirements of the State of Registration.

BackPacker
21st Aug 2010, 22:10
Another thing you need to worry about is the combination of medical/license. If they're both from the same state, there is no problem. But as soon as you start mixing them, there might be problems.

For instance, as I understand, if you have an FAA "based on" PPL, you either need a JAA medical to go with your JAA license, or you need an FAA license.

And even within JAA, you cannot assume that a medical issued by JAA state X is valid for flight in combination with a JAA PPL issued by state Y. The UK, for instance, doesn't accept medicals from, amongst others, Germany.

(But if you're a German resident it's just an administrative exercise to swap your UK-issued JAR-FCL compliant PPL for a German-issued JAR-FCL compliant PPL, and then your German medical is accepted for flight on exactly the same aircraft in exactly the same airspace...)

As Whopity says, read the regulations. However inaccessible and boring they may be.

Whopity
22nd Aug 2010, 06:26
For instance, as I understand, if you have an FAA "based on" PPL, you either need a JAA medical to go with your JAA license, or you need an FAA license.
For any licence to be valid, the medical must be valid in the eyes of the State that issued that licence. A validation is simply a recognition of that licence and its associated medical.

An FAA medical does not validate a UK issued licence ANO Art 72(2) The holder of a licence to which this article applies is not entitled to perform any of the functions to which the licence relates unless the licence includes a valid medical certificate issued under paragraph (4).
(4) On the basis of such medical examination, the CAA or the approved person may issue a medical certificate which states that they have assessed the holder of the licence as meeting the requirements specified by the CAA.
(6) A medical certificate forms part of the licence.
I have heard that the FAA have accepted Restricted Certificates on the basis of a FAA medical however; in so doing the fundamental term of the Restriction cannot be complied with i.e. "All Limitations and Restrictions on the Associated Licence Apply". Therefore; without a UK Medical the licence is not valid.

KFTW
22nd Aug 2010, 12:25
Hi,
Can i fly N reg a/c on JAA license?:ugh:If yes what r the limitations?Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
KFTW

IO540
22nd Aug 2010, 14:10
See above. FAR 61.3 requires the license to be issued by the country which owns the airspace.

So you can fly an N-reg in say Germany, on a German issued license. Whether that license happens to be FAR-FCL compliant is irrelevant.

There are two opinions from the FAA chief counsel on this topic, on the FAA website 1 (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2004/speciale.rtf)
2 (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2009/Condell.pdf)