PDA

View Full Version : Hand held GPS

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th May 2001, 23:57
Anyone used a GPS 92? How does it compare to Pilot111? Anyone got a 92 for sale?

SSD

Sensible
17th May 2001, 00:04
I use a Lowrance airmap 300 swear by it, never at it!!!

Nishko
17th May 2001, 00:14
I've got a lovely Pilot III - the CDI is a nice way to fly. It's a bit pricey, but a very well made bit of equipment. I admit that I don't use it very much, but when I do I always feel pleased that I got it.

Nish.

Nightstop
17th May 2001, 23:30
I use a Garmin GPS 92 for vintage aviating. Excellent device, no complaints....just wish I had GPS in my 737 as well!

matspart3
18th May 2001, 00:08
I use a 1:500 000 and a Mk.1 eyeball!...then I can still look out of the window too!

LowNSlow
19th May 2001, 00:16
So do I matspart but it's still nice to have a fall back position.....

Getting new shiny Pilot III at North Weald tomorrow. Ditching battery eating ancient(?) Magellan.

Nishko
19th May 2001, 02:59
Hey! LowNSlow,

Buy some NiCads... The Pilot III is lovely, but still chews Batteries up a little! Well worth getting it though - I really like mine.

Nish

------------------
"...Don't bother arguing with an idiot, he will only bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience...."

Gerund
19th May 2001, 15:00
LowNSlow -

Ditto to Nishko, except I'd go further and say that my Pilot III chews up batteries 'a lot'! Quoted time per the manual is "up to eight hours" without use of the backlighting. I reckon "up to six hours" using 4 x AA Duracells would be closer to the mark.

Consider buying the cigarette lighter adapter, if your plane has the required fag lighter installed.

Rusty Cessna
20th May 2001, 19:09
LNS mate,

how was the Aerofair, would have gone but couldn't get up to it, anyway, did you get yer PilotIII? If so how much ya pay for it, I might investigate getting one next time there is a suitable airshow, which is.....??

;)
Rusty

jabberwok
24th May 2001, 04:03
There's a lot of software on the web for the various GPS models designed to download tracks, routes etc from your unit to a PC (and vice versa). I've just come across a software package at http://www.abnormal.com/~avia_dbm/ which goea a bit further and allows you to alter the aviation database for some Garmin models. The only drawback is that you must already have bought a Garmin database upgrade as the program can only access data on the disks (it can't grab the database in the unit).

It appears to work fine - I've added 75 UK airfields missing from the Garmin unit and stuck the new runway in at Manchester!