PDA

View Full Version : solo - done!

cjm_2010
18th Aug 2010, 18:35
it was over two hours ago and I still have a massive grin on my face :E

the 'big day' had been postponed, mainly due to marginal weather, for the last three weeks. today wasn't looking much better with a bit of nerves on my part and a wind gusting up to 16kts (approx 8 kts x wind).

I'd reasoned that it simply wasn't going to happen today. so I just relaxed and got on with flying. so I was surprised when my instructor took control after landing for the 4th time.

instructor: "fancy having a go on your own?"
me: "oh, go on then...!"

I knew that if I thought about it too much I'd tie my brain up in knots. so I just got on with it.

shock #1: the climb performance without a second bum is pretty impressive. I'd been warned to expect this, but I'd almost hit 400 ft before even clearing the end of the runway after takeoff.
shock #2: a cessna 152 joined the pattern on the downwind leg just as I'm reaching circuit height on crosswind - very close. I'd heard him on the radio stating his joining intentions, but it was still a surprise. so I reported him in sight, extended the x-wind leg slightly, and flew a slower downwind leg to make a gap. I think the lookout is totally ingrained in me after this.

it was only prior to turning base that I became truly aware I was on my todd - no one obscuring my view out the starboard window :)

the landing wasn't the best I've ever done. I balooned it a bit during the flare when a gust picked up. should have used 1 stage flaps.

but here I am posting on a forum about it, so it's all good :8

Mr_Grubby
18th Aug 2010, 18:45
cjm 2010.

Congratulations. Well done on your first solo.

Your post takes me back to my first solo on 18/9/71. G-ARJC, Piper Colt. I felt the same as you.

You do realise though that from now on you will be forever broke !!! But it's worth it.

Clint.:ok::ok::ok:

kms901
18th Aug 2010, 18:59
Well done. Do you realise that your life has just changed ?

cjm_2010
18th Aug 2010, 19:16
Congratulations. Well done on your first solo.

Your post takes me back to my first solo on 18/9/71. G-ARJC, Piper Colt. I felt the same as you.

ta! :ok:

Well done. Do you realise that your life has just changed ?

the mental dust is still settling. it's an odd feeling - I still can't believe it actually happened.

to quote the controller: "well done, you can breathe now!"

julian_storey
18th Aug 2010, 19:37
Good work! :ok:

mintpro172
18th Aug 2010, 19:44
awesome work, that feeling you got your never going to forget it!! :ok:

p1andy
18th Aug 2010, 22:25
Well done. Im at a similar stage to you. I went solo on monday :)

SpeedbirdXK8
19th Aug 2010, 12:51
I went solo in 1988, never forget the feeling and still the best landing I ever made.:ok:

P.Pilcher
19th Aug 2010, 12:59
First - Congratulations!
Second - They all say that you will never experience the feeling that you get after completing your first solo again. I say that, from personal experince, "they" are wrong! I got the same feeling after witnessing the successful landing of the first student that I, as a newly qualified full instructor, SENT on his first solo!

P.P.

cjm_2010
19th Aug 2010, 13:43
thanks for the kind words guys.

I'm hopefully going for the 'consolidation' tommorrow, weather permitting. I can't wait - almost an hour of 'SELF' to log in the book under PIC :)