PDA

View Full Version : UAE GCAA non compliance with ICAO SARPs

Vercingetorix
18th Aug 2010, 10:52
At the UAE ACC, as ever, equipment failures continue to happen.
Last year the GCAA Regulatory Authority raised concerns following total radar and communications (telephone direct lines) failures at the ACC. ANS, at the moment of writing, has yet to offer any explanation to these issues let alone for those of this year.
The DANS aka the Teflon Dunce completely refuses to recognise the authority of the GCAA Regulator. Instead he sends emails to the DG questioning the usefulness of the GCAA Regulatory Authority

Some examples of the DANS disregard for Regulatory approval:

1. The ROMEO sector (essentially airspace above OMRK) into which OMRK would request clearance for traffic was introduced without any notification of procedures to OMRK.
2. The ALPHA sector (essentially airspace above Al Ain). Al Ain, did not know anything about the planned Al Ain APR by the ACC.
Is it an AREA sector or an APP sector?

NO SMS safety case has been seen nor has there been any evidence of procedures or training data, nor info on airspace; charts; etc etc.

In an ICAO compliant world, i.e. in accordance with ICAO SARPS, all this would have been presented by the ANSP to the regulatory authority for approval.

Due to the rule-by-fear culture, people don't dare breathe in case they get shat upon. So they are very careful what they say to anyone.

One hopes that the DG is advised of this (are you reading this Mr C?) and, having been made aware of the seriousness of the situation, will bring an end to the ‘Rule of Fear’ and lack of competence shown by the Teflon Dunce and the ‘pot bellied danish cartoon character’

"Ramadan Mubarak!"

"Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair!"

ATCO1969
18th Aug 2010, 20:19
Your most stupid post to date Verci. Were u drunk at the time of writing or did you simply run out of ideas or have your rats stopped feeding your appetite for gossip? There must be a reasonable explanation, surely you are better than this drivel, no?

'69

Vercingetorix
19th Aug 2010, 02:46
Hi ATCO1969
Perhaps you haven't noticed the ongoing system failures or, more likely, from your limited perspective that you understand little about ICAO, safety, etc.

Try these on for size:

1. As of four days ago following continued system failures (due to uncontrolled and untested changes made to a once stable system by the DANS and his Advisor in a race to add as many bells and whistles to distract the DG from the real problems that the ACC faces), a verbal instruction was passed from one Supervisor to the next (with specific instruction not to put it on the watch handover briefing sheet) that all system failures were to be verbally reported to Engineering with no entry in the ATC watch log and no AOR incident report to the regulator.

2. The introduction of a Single Sector validation to suit their purposes; i.e. amend/bend the rules as it suits for the Teflon Dunce and the pot bellied danish cartoon character.

Now, if you are content to work in such a system whereby safety related incidents are not reported to the Regulator I would suggest that you are in the wrong career.

In any decent organisation the 'Gruesome Twosome' would be charged with: Malfeasance in office. N.B. a criminal charge

Cheers:ok:

P.s. I note that you are a OMDB controller and therefore would not have first hand experience of the machinations of the 'Gruesome twosome'.

Vercingetorix
19th Aug 2010, 11:53
ATCO1969
Waiting for your response re matters of safety, climate of fear at the ACC, incompetence, inadequacies, etc, of the 'Gruesome twosome' or is it that you condone their primeval methods of management?

With regards to your earlier comments I just might have to investigate the miracle cures of VAT'69, must be better than ATCO'69!

Come on wuss, explain!

grizzled
19th Aug 2010, 15:55
Whatever Verc's reasons and motivation for being the lone voice in the desert (so to speak) re the GCAA and the UAE ACC, his concerns and comments are right on the money.

When referring to the UAE GCAA (and for that matter, the UAE in general) the phrase "safety culture" is an oxymoron.

grizz

VoxPopuli
20th Aug 2010, 05:35
At the coal face things are going to get even worse for the ATCOs. 10%+ increase in yearly traffic. 10% increase in daily work time, fcukall% increase in leave/off time/pay cheque. The beatings will continue.....

As for the DG. He is figment of someone's imagination. Doesn't exist. He has a nice shower in his office though.

Stella Polaris
23rd Aug 2010, 03:32
My box should now be empty.

Groogle
23rd Aug 2010, 05:05
How lame is that? Your response smacks of mini management or an ATCO who can't think past his mike. Can you really not come up with something to at least support or disprove verci's ramblings? We may all despise the man/woman but he/she is providing some interesting points. The ACC is being run into the ground by a bunch of inexperienced kids and a schoolyard bully. The shine of a new centre and fresh smell will soon wear off, hopefully that will happen before someone gets hurt. The system failures are a real worry.

Verci
What do you mean ''single sector validation to suit their purposes''? It has been mentioned plenty times but never instituted.

Vercingetorix
23rd Aug 2010, 06:59
,,Hi Groogle
verci's ramblings? We may all despise the man/woman but he/she is providing some interesting points.
I suppose that puts me in a category with Julian Assange of Wikileaks fame although on a much minor scale.
Verci is actually a he and I would image that most of the UAE ACC know exactly who I am. The teflon Dunce and the pot bellied danish cartoon character certainly do.

Re Single Sector Validation there is only one instance of this and that is of a controller who was taken on to manage the transition and arrival of OMAL approach. Everyone else is multi-sector valid.

Vox Populi is correct to highlight that things are getting even worse for the ATCOs with the ongoing annual traffic increase of 10%.

Grizz, the object of the exercise is to highlight to the wide world (traveling public) as well as the Board of Directors that the GCAA ACC is, to use a QMS phrase, Not Fit for Purpose. It is not what it purports to be which is a modern up to date ATC facility but is only masquerading as such.
This is not a denigration of the ATCOS, ATSAs or engineers who do a good job in a difficult space but is a denigration of the management methods of the 'Gruesome Twosome'. These two have managed to fcuk up the ISO 9001:2000 QMS and have never understood SMS. It is a disgrace that they issued a verbal to supervisors not to report system failures to the Regulator, also, at their insistence, that the Civil Aviation Regulations were redrafted to allow the 'pot bellied danish cartoon character' to write procedures. He is not PANS OPs qualified.

I hear that some of the 'interesting points' I have provided are beginning to be heard at the higher levels.

Now, to infinity and beyond and, hopefully, back in time for tea.:ok:

Addendum
To illustrate how Not Fit for Purpose the organisation is, a good example is the ex DG's brother, who, when he was employed by the GCAA issued himself a flying licence without the necessity of either taking flying lessons or passing an exam!!
Also, the ex DG was relieved from position because of an embezzlement case. This was not reported in the English language newspapers but was reported in the Arabic papers.

ATCO1969
23rd Aug 2010, 15:26
Sorry Verci for not posting a reply to your nonsense quick enough for you. You see, I have a very active life, one you so childishly accuse me of not having in your pm:

"'69
get a life and come into the modern world of ATM, SMS, etc.

Bisou xxxx"

The image of anyone kissing your short bald overweight frame is one that is suited only to themed X rated films, so no thank you.

Quite frankly, I plug in and work the crap out of my traffic then go home! ATM, SMS, ISO, or in your case Verci, PMS do not enter my mind at all. I'm paid (very well) to control, I do it well and let the bosses on the 2nd floor worry about what goes on in the backround. Is this shortsighted or naive? Maybe, but then 95% of my work mates are guilty too.

If you really care about ATM and safety so much Verci, pursue other channels of complaint I would suggest. These rants of yours are undoubtedly attempts at publicly discrediting the DANS and co. for things you feel they did to you in the past. From what I hear however, you enjoyed being rear ended so why the complaints?

Regarding the 10% increase in working time. I heard the same but am all for it if as suggested permanent planner sectors are introduced and if Alpha and West sectors are to be permanently opened. One would work more hours on position but less hours on the "front line", which works for me! Also, with +-25 controllers due to validate before the end of the year things can only get better!

Single sector validation? Who cares, it's nothing new.

On a final note. I challenge Verci to let us all know when he's next around. I challenge him further to call me a wuss to my face. 'Nuff said.

'69

Vercingetorix
24th Aug 2010, 04:04
ATCO'69
Wow, an apologist for the DANS.
Your cage is rattling!!
You must be in a minority of one in seeing the DANS and his advisor through Rose Tinted spectacles. I know what they do. How many good folk have they fired this past year? How many system failures have they been causative in?
If they were any good the place would be running in a 'Tickety Boo" fashion but it ain't!

Quote:
1."Is this shortsighted or naive?" Both. It's also narrow minded and unprofessional. Childlike outlook would describe it.
2. "If you really care about ATM and safety so much Verci, pursue other channels of complaint I would suggest". Ahead of you on that one, old son.
3. "On a final note. I challenge Verci to let us all know when he's next around. I challenge him further to call me a wuss to my face. 'Nuff said". Childlike again. Challenge accepted, my little one. (you must be Seff Afrikan!) What will be the weapon of your choice, pink strips at dawn!

Now, upon analysing your post in detail it shows you as a narrow minded little jobsworth. What the Advisor to the DANS & the DANS refer to as a Grunt or I would refer to as a single cell amoeba.

So, keep your head down to the minutiae and trivia and let those with greater thought processes look after the big items.

As a sign off I have to thank the then DANS (now advisor to) for making me quite rich. However, as ever there is a sting in the tail, as it was not due to his competence but due to his lack of foresight, pre-planning and general stupidity.

Now, to more sensible people.:D

Stella Polaris. Pm sent yesterday. Best wishes.

To infinity and beyond and, hopefully, back in time for a glass of Louis Roederer Cristal Brut!

Vercingetorix
25th Aug 2010, 06:24
More examples for consideration.

Items

Al Ain App Sector

The ACC is currently in the final stages of introducing an Approach function (Al Ain Radar Approach), using four civilian ATCOs who had previously held APP ratings. The other ATCOs being utilised are:
a). Ex-military Approach rated which is in contravention of the UAE Civil Aviation Regulations part VIII,
b). Civilian Area ATCOs who have never been rated on civilian approach, again in contravention of the UAE Civil Aviation Regulations part VIII,
c). or basically anyone else the DANS feels like training in the simulator.

The DANS is in breach of the UAE Civil Aviation Regulations (CAR Part VIII) as he did not prepare a SMS safety case for presentation to the Regulator nor did he seek regulatory approval for the changes and procedures incurred in the inception of this APP sector.

Consequently, not surprisingly, as the Regulator had no knowledge of the AL Ain APP sector no approval has been given, yet the DANS goes ahead.

Letters of Agreement (LOAs)

These LOAs lay down the procedures to be followed between ATC units abutting on to, or infringing into, each other.
The majority of the LOAs have not been updated since 2007. Efforts have been made by various managers but they have always been told that it is the sole responsibility of the DANS (to the point where the Canadian MATCO was sacked for trying to update them). One Appendix in all of the LOAs from the ACC with all units was drafted in 1998 and has not been updated since. All references in it are out of date, all procedures in it are irrelevant and unworkable, and all contact details are wrong. N.B. Its not as if it's an important document, it's only the fallback procedures in case of system failure or centre loss

Within the context of the above you have a DANS telling everyone who will listen that everyone else involved in aviation in the region is holding him back. He puts out a list of "achievements" most of which were smoke and mirror "achievements" which were not required and made no difference to safety or expeditious handling of traffic (or made it worse), or introduced half baked "achievements" which have been riddled with unreliability, failures, and degradation (e.g. OLDI terminals to Doha and Abu Dhabi). The reason for sending out this dubious list of achievements ... to win an Emirati achiever award from Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx.

Most ATC units in the world have a Mission Statement on the wall in a nice glass frame saying something like "our aim is to deliver a safe and expeditious service to our customers with a risk which is "As Low As Reasonably Practicable" (ALARP)".
The UAE ACC's is "our aim is to deliver as many new "firsts" as we can, damn the preparation, testing, or safety assessments, we know best, get it in, take the photo, write the press release, win the award.

A suitable acronym for the UAE ACC in vogue amongst other units in the Gulf region.
It is, A-TURD (Air Traffic Used for Research and Development)"

Not exactly up to ICAO standards, is it.

What say you ATCO1969?

To infinity and beyond and, hopefully, back in time for that Louis Roederer Cristal

P.S. Just in case you are wondering, having been in the Gulf for 12 years, my sources are many and varied, both high and low and at many units.

Groogle
25th Aug 2010, 06:47
''I do it well and let the bosses on the 2nd floor worry about what goes on in the backround. Is this shortsighted or naive? Maybe, but then 95% of my work mates are guilty too.''

How lame is that...now I sound like a stuck record. It is obvious you are not a regular on the floor as 95% of your so-called work mates do worry about what the 2nd floor are doing and b!tch constantly about the lack of proper action. Instead of working solutions to the problems there is a constant effort to increase unneccessary time on position, whats that all about? Efforts by the 2nd floor to sort out problems are misdirected, perhaps one day they will attempt to actually solve real problems like BALUS?

Lon More
25th Aug 2010, 07:16
I can't help but wonder. if things are so bad, why you don't vote with your feet?

Vercingetorix
25th Aug 2010, 07:47
Lon More
for the ATCOs the dosh is good, approx $15,500 (US) per month - no tax, and if you do your assigned ATCO, engineer or ATSA job without making waves you are generally below the firing line.
It's only when you rise above ATC Supervisor level or inadvertently question the Diktats of the DANS that the hammer appears. Then, as my American colleagues would say, you are gone in a heartbeat.

ATCO 1969's earlier comment sums it up:- "Quite frankly, I plug in and work the crap out of my traffic then go home! ATM, SMS, ISO do not enter my mind at all. I'm paid (very well) to control, I do it well and let the bosses on the 2nd floor worry about what goes on in the background. Is this shortsighted or naive? Maybe, but then 95% of my work mates are guilty too.

It's a good place for mercenaries. Those who have been fired this past year were those who took a more enlightened view of the overall status of the unit.
One, a SERCO Safety Regulation Group chap only found out that he was fired when he read a group email from the DANS. No courtesy of being advised directly.

BlueSkye
25th Aug 2010, 16:06
I can't help but wonder. if things are so bad, why you don't vote with your feet?

That little place in Grand Cayman is not going to pay for itself.

Vercingetorix
13th Sep 2010, 02:38
A day in the training section!

YouTube - Motivational Speech - Full Metal Jacket (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wijlLEriWYg)

Vercingetorix
13th Sep 2010, 13:16
Now, if that link does not bring to mind a small gnome like Seff Afrikan with a rather less than fulsome head of hair, what more can I say except that he was part of a triumvirate including the DANS & Head of Training to seek a meeting at the GAL academy to discuss utilisation of the GAL SIM re training of locals.

Can't be bothered with the infinity drive tonight, the local is less distance to travel to!.

BlueSkye
13th Sep 2010, 16:44
Now, if that link does not bring to mind a small gnome like Seff Afrikan with a rather less than fulsome head of hair, what more can I say except that he was part of a triumvirate including the DANS & Head of Training to seek a meeting at the GAL academy to discuss utilisation of the GAL SIM re training of locals.

Huh.......?

Number2
13th Sep 2010, 16:56
Dragging the bottom of the barrel springs to mind

Vercingetorix
15th Sep 2010, 08:43
Having scraped the bottom of the barrel and found that there is no one left to fire the 'Gruesome twosome' aka El Stupido (DANS) and the pot bellied danish cartoon character (self explanatory), perhaps realising (at last!) their lack of comprehension concerning matters of SMS, is that the ACC is outsourcing for SMS, etc, to replace the previous Safety and Quality Manager. (A highly qualified chap who had studied SMS at degree level)

The outsourced company is called Integra, a Danish company, with a certain large Danish person on its "payroll"......

Say no more, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, nod!

To infinty and beyond and, hopefully, back in time for tea.

clipped_wings
15th Sep 2010, 09:55
Nothing they do surprises me any more. The Fox in charge of the Hen house! Obviously conflict of interest in does not play any part in their vision of Safety Management.

AirNoServicesAustralia
15th Sep 2010, 11:16
As we all know SMS is like a pizza that you can order in when you need to and otherwise ignore. It's not like its a culture that needs to be built, or a system that is owned by all staff. Dial-an-SMS sounds good, delivery within 30 minutes, and then pop the manual in the bottom drawer to be pulled out only when certification or audits come up.

Hmm and these guys are supposedly preaching to the ATC world about the optimising and modernisation of ATM...

rogerthis
16th Sep 2010, 10:26
Dial-an-SMS, like it. Sounds like the same approach taken with regard to the QMS:ugh: Hey Ho! What goes around comes around. No SMS and no QMS, the perfect model for a showpiece in aviation excellence.:mad:

Vercingetorix
16th Sep 2010, 12:04
Dial an SMS, like it also.
Seem to remember that the dane always had a 'retro' attitude to SMS. i.e. after the introduction of significant changes that he had instigated (via the training section) on his excel spreadsheet he would order a backdated Enron style SMS safety case to justify his actions.
Had to refuse him many times on this.
He had. and has, a cavalier attitude to safety and regulations.
His puppet, the DANS, has no knowledge nor any understanding of the issues relating to SMS.

SMARTBYNAME
22nd Sep 2010, 23:06
Short,Bold,scotish,kicked from MATCO position called Smartbyname:8

:ok: Kamusta ang buhay ? must be miserable

Vercingetorix
23rd Sep 2010, 10:06
SMARTBYNAME

Life is fine Habibi, unlike your spelling: scotish (Sic!)

Only reason to be miserable is the current state of the ACC Centre as it is run (managed being too strong a word in this context) by the 'Gruesome twosome' aka the Teflon Dunce and the pot bellied Danish cartoon character.

Ang galing mo sal sal:ooh:

SMARTBYNAME
23rd Sep 2010, 15:55
In the back woods of Scotland, Ian's wife went into labor in the middle of the night, and the doctor was called out to assist in the delivery.

To keep the nervous father-to-be busy, the doctor handed him a lantern and said: "Here, you hold this high so I can see what I'm doing." Soon, a wee baby boy was brought into the world.

"Whoa there Ian!" said the doctor. "Don't be in a rush to put the lantern down...I think there's yet another wee one to come yet."

Sure enough, within minutes he had delivered a bonnie lass.

"No, no, don't be in a great hurry to be putting down that lantern, lad...It seems there's yet another one besides!" cried the doctor.

Then Ian scratched his head in bewilderment, and asked the doctor: "Do ye think it's the light that's attractin' them?" :8

Vercingetorix
24th Sep 2010, 00:27
Gentlemen
Now that Pprune has descended to such a 'babyish' level there appears to be no more point in contributing.

I bid you all adieu

Now, to infinity and beyond and, hopefully, back in time for a magnum of Louis Roederer Cristal.

P.S.
1. Scottish is the correct spelling, not Scotish.
2. Ian is the anglicised version. Iain is the teuchter spelling.
3. Smartbyname, you need to brush up on your tagalog.