PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for the GFT?

Aussie Andy
16th May 2001, 14:03
Hi all,

My GFT (UK General Flying Test for those unfamiliar) is coming up in about 2 weeks.

I have just one more dual revision slot, and a sole revision slot, booked before doing the test.

I would really appreciate any postings on other people's experiences of the GFT, any tips, etc.

Andy

------------------
"Andy sang, Andy watched, Andy waited 'til his billy boiled..." (It was written for me!)

Genghis the Engineer
16th May 2001, 14:18
Don't panic, and don't bluff - if you don't know say so. Better still, if you don't know, point out where it's in the book or on a placard and make the examiner clear that you'll always look it up.

But know all the emergency checks, and limitations by heart.

G

New Bloke
16th May 2001, 14:32
It seems like only yesterday you were asking how to get started. Well done for getting where you are so quickly and whatever happens in the next couple of weeks, pat yourself on the back for getting so far.

As for the GFT, I lapsed for 10 years and so I have done two. Both were a doddle, the examiners were both extremely professional but both WANTED me to pass. SAFE flying is the key. Remember that if you pass, you will have been the Captain of the flight. This is a new experience as every time you have flown someone before, you have been a student. It is as well to start your flying as you wish to continue, so as Captain, YOU make all of the decisions. If that means saying “the weather is a bit marginal, I propose we wait for n-time to allow this front to go through” then say it. If he/she passes you, you will have to make that decision every time you fly.

The main difference between the flying you have done up until now, and the GFT, is the GFT is a test and a pressure situation. If you feel under too much stress during the flight, ask the examiner to take control for a couple of minutes and unwind, wipe the sweat from your hands and brow, then when you feel ready, resume control.

Best of Luck Andy, I hope you enjoy the experience.

Simon W
16th May 2001, 15:51
Aussie Andy,

I'm afraid I don't have any tips with regards to the GFT as I am nowhere near that stage in the training myself.

I do have a question for you though. Am I right in saying that you train at BAFC, Booker (Same as myself)? What have you done with regards to ground school? Did you sign up for the classes they offer at the club or have you just read up using the Thoms manuals?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Aussie Andy
16th May 2001, 16:50
Simon W: Yep, I am at BAFC. I did not bother with the ground school and just used the Trevor Thom books, and, more importantly, the indispensable PPL Confuser Book (they sell it at the club I think.

Using the practice questions in the Confuser, you can ascertain when/whether you're ready to sit one of the tests. My approach is always to read the relevant book, then do the Confuser questions until I get them all right, then sit the paper.

Hope this helps,

Andy

What a Loop
16th May 2001, 21:03
If you are allowed a preference take the part you are most comfortable with first.

When I did mine I chose to do the Nav first as I was happiest with that, along with the fact that there was hardly any wind on the day.

The nav exercise including the diversion went almost as per the text book, which put me totally at easy and happily sailed through the upper air work and the circuts

I agree with the comments above learn the safety and emergency routines and don't bluff.

Mine lasted about 2 1/2 hours in total and by the end I was drained. It may be worthwhile taking a bottle of water with you as at one point I found my mouth had gone quite dry making the radio calls interesting.

Best of luck when you do it and remember all the training that your instructor has put in has got you to the stage that he or she is confident that you are ready. The instructors at my club did not like their students failing so they made sure you were ready before putting you forward.

Lucifer
16th May 2001, 21:40
Top tip mate: fly at at height plus 50ft, as nobody else normally does, and it shows good airmanship as avoids collisions. eg 1050', 1150' etc. Check your tolerances methodically and if changing to another altitude etc tell him/her first. Set a specific RPM to set speed, not random twitches of power on or off, make good call on weather as New Bloke says, and relax.

Flyswift
16th May 2001, 22:34
Another tip - if you think you may of drifted of course, or flown an incorrect heading, do something about it. If it looks wrong - ITS IS WRONG. Don't keep trundling along hoping the ground is eventually going to match up with your map.

Good luck, and let us know how you got along.

FS

Bluebeard
16th May 2001, 22:50
GFT - presume you are referring to the JAR Skills Test? There, pedantry over.

I did the Skills Test a few weeks ago, so it is relatively fresh in my mind...some tips:

You do not need to be perfect during the test, as ever you should aim to do your best but do not get bummed out if stuff goes a little awry. The examiner needs to be confident that you are safe, not perfect.

It is a tricky judgement call re splitting the test; it is very draining but don't forget that if you do split the test you will be tested on the basics i.e. getting up and down safely every time you take another part of the test. My view was that this increased the chances of making a prat of yourself!

Very helpful quote from my examiner: "agree with me what you intend to do e.g. what height you will be cruising at and what heading you are steering...if you want to change what you are doing then fine, anything can be changed as long as we agree it beforehand"

Many a time I have heard it said that the examiner makes their mind up about you in the first few minutes of the test! There are some neat airmanship actions which might impress, ask you instructors to show you some of these.

One minor point from a post above: I am not sure about asking the examiner to take the controls if you are tired, it was drilled into me that the examiner is not allowed to touch the controls of the aircraft at any time unless flight safety was at risk or they needed to intervene as part of the conduct of the test e.g. pulling the power for a PFL. I'm not sure if feeling knackered is an excuse for the examiner to take over.

Good Luck! :-)

[This message has been edited by Bluebeard (edited 16 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bluebeard (edited 16 May 2001).]

Sensible
16th May 2001, 23:42
Beware the examiner who offers to take the controls whilst you tidy up maps etc. The last time that happened to me he put the aircraft into an unusual attitude (bad) then announced "your airplane"

FNG
17th May 2001, 12:42
Andy, lots of good advice here already, and I echo the congrats on making such rapid progress. I suspect as others do that the examiner probably does get a feel of whether you are OK quite early on.

One comment about nav: trust your judgment and the system. During my test I made an unforced error through doubting my own nav. Briefed by the examiner to fly to disused airfield X as a waypoint, I convinced myself that disused airfield Y, which I could see some way off my track, was X and that I must have wandered off track. I made an unnecessary track error correction and arrived at Y, which I then positively identified as Y, not X (so by now I was not lost but was in the wrong place). I told the examiner what I had done, and that I proposed to return to the point where I went wrong by backtracking. This I did and the flight continued to X without further ado. This was a case of thinking it looked wrong when it didn't.

Very best of luck.

Sensible
17th May 2001, 13:38
FNG makes a very good point, it's always so easy to convince yourself that you are at an altogether different point. A lot of it is to do with relaxation, but the who is relaxed on a checkride apart from maybe the examiner? You can only be aware and do your best to relax! Try to study the sectional and look for as many waypoints as possible whilst you are on the ground but don't look out for just one when you are in the air(fixate).

Speaking of fixating, that's probably the biggest problem that I have had to deal with. Fixating on any particular instrument causes everything else to go pearshaped. A good instrument scan is an essential part of airmanship especially important later on in your training.

g-oose
17th May 2001, 14:25
Similar experience to FNG here. I'd hardly left the ATZ when I decided I needed to make a heading correction because the track looked wrong. Next waypoint didn't appear on time and it eventually dawned on me that the correction was a little hasty and entirely unnecessary. Figured out where the next waypoint was and flew straight to it (not the most expert technique but perfectly acceptable, at least under the old regime). During the 5 mins or so it took me to get there kept having to tell myself all is not lost, and it wasn't.

New Bloke
17th May 2001, 14:39
One thing, this is fairly basic, but do your checks. Carb heat quite often, I find it quite remarkable when I fly with other Pilots, how seldom they seem to use carb heat. Mind you, people that fly with me find it remarkable how often I use it.

Aussie Andy
17th May 2001, 17:21
Thanks everyone - what a great response. All being taken on board... I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again,

Andy

arrow2
17th May 2001, 18:04
If with an examiner / check pilot I like to verbalise what I am doing just to ensure that he.she is aware that you are doing something - eg on the t/o roll I just say something like "full power, T&Ps in the green, airspeed is building"....ie no surprises for the check person. Also remember your FREDA's.

Best of luck!

A2

eyeinthesky
17th May 2001, 19:52
By all means call out the checks you need to do when airborne, but don't incriminate yourself. The muttered :'Oh ****' will draw his attention to something he MIGHT not otherwise have noticed.

GOOD LUCK!

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

Keef
17th May 2001, 22:22
Good luck with the skills test!

I agree with Arrow2 - sing out what you're doing. OK, you may get some wrong, but it shows you're thinking about it, and is a good habit to get into.

And relax - he's looking to see that you're safe to start learning to fly for real, not that you can fulfil the CFI syllabus.

Aussie Andy
9th Jun 2001, 17:17
Hi everyone!

I finally passed the Skills Test today!

In fact, today was a re-sit... last Friday I sailed through almost everything, including a fabulous cross-country and diversion that went "by the book"!

But, sadly, on the day I failed in the circuit. It was a combination of things I think... there was a cross-wind beyond my previous experience at about 40 to 50 degrees and 15kt gusting over 20kt I suppose. This was coupled with wind-shear on the approach at Wycombe that just didn't ease up all afternoon.

I was tired from having done the rest of the test, and over-reacting on the throttle on the approach (up 200 ft then down the other side in the sink due to shear, by which time it becomes apparent I have chopped too much power... doh...). The first one was not good - on the runway, but nowhere near the centre line, and not flared well. From that point on it was downhill as I just thought "Oh God, I've blown it" and with the examiner in the r.h. seat, just couldn't seem to settle down.

We gave up after 4 or so circuits, and I was told I had a partial fail. A circuit detail was prescribed.

I flew some on my own yesterday afternoon - it went beautifully of course. And this morning, before the test, did some more. Then did the re-sit, and to cut a long story short, passed... but would not say it was my usual standard.. I think the pressure had a big effect.

Anyway, thanks to everyone at BAFC, especially instructors such as Keith, and to everyone here for advice and encouragement!

Now its just a matter of sending off the paperwork and waiting for that lovely license!

Andy :-)

What a Loop
11th Jun 2001, 16:53
Well done and welcome to the fun.

Simon W
12th Jun 2001, 16:08
Congratulations!!!