PDA

View Full Version : convert CAA licence to IAA

mintpro172
17th Aug 2010, 20:43
Hi all,

I am currently an instructor in New Zealand where I have done all of my training. However I am Irish and am heading home for a visit next year and I was wondering what work needs to be done to get my Instructor rating converted to a PPL or CPL in Ireland just so I can take my family up on some scenics? Thanks in advance :ok:

dublinpilot
17th Aug 2010, 22:10
If you just want to take your friends and family flying, but don't want to provide any instruction or commercial privileges, then the good news is that you probably don't have to convert anything.

You haven't said which CAA issued your licence, but I presume it's NZ CAA. I'm also presuming that it is a ICAO licence, and not a national one.

Article 5, of SI333 of 2000 (Personnel Licensing Order) is your friend. If will provide you with private VFR privileges without any paperwork ;)

"5. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Order, a person shall not act as a flight crew member of an aircraft registered in the State unless that person is the holder of an appropriate licence issued or validated by the Authority, or a JAA licence.

[...]

(10) For the purposes of this Article, a valid and subsisting licence, other than a JAA licence, issued by any other state which is a member of the International Civil Aviation Organisation in conformity with Annex I (Personnel Licensing) to the Chicago Convention purporting to authorise the holder thereof to act as a flight crew member of an aircraft, not being a licence purporting to authorise that holder to act as a student pilot only, shall be deemed to be a licence validated by the Authority under the provisions of this Order entitling the holder thereof to fly as a member of the flight crew of a private aircraft insofar as the holder is permitted to do so by the terms of the licence and by the law of the state by which it was issued:

Provided that-
(i) the holder of such a licence shall not, for the purposes of this Order,
exercise any privilege relating to instruction in flying or flight under the
instrument flight rules which may be attached to the licence unless
otherwise so entitled under this Order,

(ii) if the Authority sees fit to do so, it may at any time prohibit the holder
of such a licence from exercising the privileges conferred by this subparagraph and, in that event, such licence shall cease to be deemed to
be a licence validated by the Authority under the provisions of this
Order."

They are actually a pretty friendly bunch in the IAA. If you give them a call they will confirm that for you. (Better than taking the advice from an anonymous person on the internet ;) )

dp

Ps. You can look up the SI quoted above here: S.I. No. 333/2000 ? Irish Aviation Authority (Personnel Licensing) Order, 2000. (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/si/0333.html)

mintpro172
17th Aug 2010, 22:34
omg that's perfect, didn't realise it was that simple. It wont be any hire and reward stuff, (well they better pay for some of it!!:}). Thanks for the reply:ok:

one more question, I'm looking to get a hard copy of the Irish AIP do you know where I can find it. Looking online and emailing a company in Shannon they said it isnt printed anymore. Surely someone must do it??

Mark 1
18th Aug 2010, 00:35
You can get all the Eurocontrol AIPs by registering (free) here (http://ead-website.ead-it.com/publicuser/public/pu/login.jsp)
Navigate through 'enter applications' and 'PAMS light(AIP)'

mintpro172
18th Aug 2010, 00:41
I can get the computer print outs, the iaa.ie has them too. I'm looking for a folder of the print outs I can just buy like I have over here in New Zealand. Its one of the requirements to have up to date plates and I thought Ireland would be along the same lines. Thank you though.

Whopity
18th Aug 2010, 08:06
If you are flying VFR you just need a map.

dublinpilot
18th Aug 2010, 10:20
AIS in Shannon used to issue the paper AIP's. They still issue paper updates, but I think that they only issue CD copies to people asking for it now.

Their number is +353-61703750 or +353-61-770700.

As Whopity says you don't really need a copy of the AIP. An up to date chart, and print off the info for any of the regional airports you're interest in from the online AIP. There is only a handfull of them published in the AIP.

You don't really need a guide for the smaller airports that aren't in the AIP, but if you want one, then you can buy a "pooleys Ireland guide" from any of the UK online pilot shops eg. www.transair.co.uk (http://www.transair.co.uk)

mintpro172
18th Aug 2010, 19:30
That's exactly what I was looking for, I suppose flying is going to be different in every country. Thanks for your help :ok::ok: