PDA

View Full Version : The impending sale of NATS

Mantovani
17th Aug 2010, 16:17
It seems both the Airline Group and the Government would like to cash in on their shareholding of NATS.

Both of these shareholders will be looking to maximise the price they get from the sale so it’s reasonable to assume that any buyer will want to maximise yearly profits.

NATS is currently two companies; NERL & NSL. The vast majority of NATS’s profits comes from NERL.

When a company is sold the employee’s terms and conditions do have some legal protection but not all terms and conditions are protected and the protection does not last forever.

What is the worst case scenario for Staff?

Air.Farce.1
17th Aug 2010, 21:21
If you wear a headset prepare to be shafted but keep your job, if you don't wear one........:uhoh:

On the beach
18th Aug 2010, 06:38
It seems that a possible buyer is Global Infrastructure Partners. These are the people who own KK and LCY, so NATS would fit with their previous purchases. According to the Sunday Times NATS is on their wish list.

Conspiracy Theories
18th Aug 2010, 18:30
i wear a headset and i am very worried about the eventual sale of NATS. Ts & Cs are bound to change without any shadow of a doubt. What can we do? Hope!!!

All that will happen is that revenue earners for the company will get screwed and the managers undoubtedly get more and more "bonuses".

what ever happened to a basic wage and that was your job, if you didn't do it, then you got fired......:mad:

Roffa
18th Aug 2010, 21:27
i wear a headset and i am very worried about the eventual sale of NATS. Ts & Cs are bound to change without any shadow of a doubt. What can we do

We can gather our collective backbone for once and stand up for ourselves. If we end up being walked over it will only be because we've allowed it.

T250
19th Aug 2010, 09:34
Will an eventual sale, whoever its to, have any ramifications upon recruitment/selection for trainee ATCOs in any way? ie. recruitment freeze/change in selection process etc.

Me Me Me Me
19th Aug 2010, 10:08
Conspiracy Theories said:

All that will happen is that revenue earners for the company will get screwed and the managers undoubtedly get more and more "bonuses".

what ever happened to a basic wage and that was your job, if you didn't do it, then you got fired......

You want to count up the number of allowances and lump sum payments that relate to those with headsets on? The money going on management "bonuses" doesnt come even close to competing.

I really dont see a lot changing if shares are sold. Our current shareholders have a vested interest in the future performance of the company. Sure, they want costs driven down and performance increased... The CEO seems keen to increase the employee slice too.

Mantovani
19th Aug 2010, 10:12
My main concern is the pension - will the new owners seek to boost profits by reducing their contributions, maybe even decide they want nothing to do with the CAA Scheme.

After talking to friends whose companies have been taken over in the past fews years by investment groups I also have very serious concerns about our general Terms and Conditions and even our pay.

With NATS seemingly up for sale I think we as employees need to get our act together very quickly.

Personally I'd like to see the Unions coming out and state a few lines in the sand. I'd also like to see Working Together linked to these lines in the sand. Working Together has to become much more of a two way street.

Air.Farce.1
19th Aug 2010, 11:11
Unfortunately "working together" now seems to be carried out by an inner circle of union reps, who see positive stroking of management with "green traffic lights" as the ultimate reward. Heaven forbid they should dish out a "flickering amber" which would send management quaking in their boots.
I know, I am a union rep who sees it first hand but is not in the "inner circle".
Management now have the union where they want, weak and plyable and they can dish out reds and ambers too :eek:

I despair at times....we are becoming a mockery:ugh:

DC10RealMan
19th Aug 2010, 16:18
I wonder if this "Line on the sand" is the same as the "keeping the powder dry" that has been prevalent since the late 1970s when I joined.

obwan
20th Aug 2010, 11:10
Air Farce 1 Your concerns about the union are well founded. For many years now Prospect has existed primarily to further the interests of the "Southern " section and in particular Swanwick. If the company is sold off the majority af any "pain" will be borne by those of us in NSL and NPC.:cool:

radarman
20th Aug 2010, 13:14
Try Googling 'TUPE'. Basically your T&C's are protected and have to be honoured by the new company until such time as staff and management negotiate new ones. Does not apply to pensions :{

250 kts
20th Aug 2010, 13:27
Heaven forbid they should dish out a "flickering amber" which would send management quaking in their boots.

Well it seems to be Red at Swanwick right now.

For many years now Prospect has existed primarily to further the interests of the "Southern " section and in particular Swanwick.

Based on what?

Air.Farce.1
20th Aug 2010, 13:37
Is it red ? Normally its confidential .

chevvron
20th Aug 2010, 14:49
"Based on what?"
Well unit banding is a prime example.

Air.Farce.1
20th Aug 2010, 15:16
Exactly so. Inevitably Swanwick, Prestwick and NSL will be sold off as three separate entities. Who knows, PC could be sucked into Swanwick with little impact on service delivery. The Oceanic element which is a major earner for NATS can fit into one half of a tennis court or a large living room. NATS have gained nothing by moving Manch to PC and have spent a fortune doing do. Although rumour has it that the Manch double manning with their own unique method of operation which has not changed could rapidly do so once a "certain person" goes to Swanwick in April. This would leave a surplus of around 40 ATCO 's at PC. Now does anyone think our new owners will stand for that := . Traffic which was planned to rise 3% year on year till 2020 is now decreasing at a similar rate, and when the recession really kicks in things aint gonna look so good :eek:

ZOOKER
20th Aug 2010, 15:27
Allegedly £25,000,000 on relocation costs alone.-That's more than a coal-miner earned in a month.
Certainly enough to build a new sub-centre at EGCC, at the base of the new tower. Oh, which has just been cancelled.
Calling 'Prospect'...............Hello.........is there anyone out there?

250 kts
20th Aug 2010, 19:07
Is it red ? Normally its confidential .

Not at Swanwick it isn't, and why would or should it be? It is all over the screens around the unit which carry the ;atest information and propoganda.

Zooker, what are you on about??????????? BLX (in Swedish) as usual?

Not going to go into banding as it's been done to death on here. But I do seem to remember that one or two NSL units came out of it unbelievably well and on the NERL side there was really no surprise unless it was decided to have different bands within the same unit.

Why would a method of operation suddenly change because a manager departs. Either it is a recognised and safe method or it isn't. I would suggest that should any adverse change be attempted by management then it should be resisted vehemently.

Air.Farce.1
20th Aug 2010, 19:16
If you know where he was before PC then you will know why

ZOOKER
20th Aug 2010, 19:19
Knots, good evening. :ok:
Do elaborate petal, allegedly my ancestors were Vikings. :E

ZOOKER
20th Aug 2010, 19:23
Air Farce,
Thanks for your support.
You're on my TV, in 1/100th scale of course. :ok:

250 kts
21st Aug 2010, 09:21
If you know where he was before PC then you will know why

I assume you mean the manager and not Zooker?

I would still maintain that there would have to be a serious review of the method of operation to just go from Tactical and Coordinator to just a T and I am assuming that it what you are referring to? And why you would want to do that at the unit which apparently scored so highly in traffic and complexity during the banding debate is beyond me.

Apologies for the "thread drift" but some points needed to be challenged. Back to the possible sale of NATS now?

Mantovani
21st Aug 2010, 15:18
radarman

Try Googling 'TUPE'. Basically your T&C's are protected and have to be honoured by the new company until such time as staff and management negotiate new ones. Does not apply to pensions

Exactly.

I am amazed how little we have heard from the Unions about this sale. Maybe we should ask NATS' management what our Unions think.

galliwalli
25th Aug 2010, 17:06
Could anyone please help,

I have a British passport and ten years experience on a modern ATC system working as an active area radar controller. Are NATS looking for experienced controllers, and who is the contact person who may shed more light on the subject.

Many thanks.

radarman
25th Aug 2010, 18:01
Mantovani,

Prospect will think what NATS management tell them to think - it's called 'Working Together'. :E

250 kts
25th Aug 2010, 18:40
Could anyone please help,

I have a British passport and ten years experience on a modern ATC system working as an active area radar controller. Are NATS looking for experienced controllers, and who is the contact person who may shed more light on the subject.

Many thanks.

Not really the right thread I think. There are plenty on here about getting employed by NATS. 0/10 for initiative.

I am amazed how little we have heard from the Unions about this sale

That could be because there really is no firm information to go on except the vague announcement in the recent budget. No doubt discussions are going on in the background but even the new CE says in his blog that he has little or no influence over how the government decides to act. I have no doubt that Prospect will have had high level meetings to register their discomfort at any proposed sell out.

In fact if you go to ATCOs.co.uk - (http://www.atcos.co.uk) you can see the initial statement from Prospect although it is probably time an update was published.

25th Aug 2010, 18:45
250 Kts - the NTUS have released an update on the 'sale' today. PM me an e mail address for you and i'll forward it on.

Ahh-40612
27th Aug 2010, 08:03
How about a workers' buyout?

50 quid each for an old knackered system, with future kit that might work, should be more than enough.

As the dragons den says "I'm in" !

PeltonLevel
1st Sep 2010, 10:45
Didn't want to start a new thread with this, but thought that NATS staff might find it of interest!
Dilbert comic strip for 09/01/2010 from the official Dilbert comic strips archive. (http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-09-01/)

fisbangwollop
3rd Nov 2010, 16:17
Just spotted this on my share dealing site as I was buying some TT. shares

U.K. air-traffic controller NATS Holdings Ltd. could be floated as its shareholders look to reduce their holdings, but its chief executive remains focused on growing the business with a push deeper into international markets.

In the wake of its high-profile handling of the closure of airspace after the eruption of a volcano in Iceland spewed ash over much of Europe earlier this year, a sale would allow shareholders to realize at least part of the value of their holdings at a time when public and private sector budgets are under pressure.

A variety of options were under consideration, including "whether it will be sold through an (initial public offering) or a trade sale" or even both, NATS Chief Executive Richard Deakin said in a recent interview.

Deakin expects to learn over the next few months the extent and form of a sale. "I think it's likely there will be a fair chunk of shares" would be sold, he said.

Its two key shareholders are the British government, with a 49% interest, and the Airline Group, a consortium of seven airlines, with 42%. Each is looking at what percentage of its stake to sell, Deakin said. Another 5% stake is owned by employees and U.K. airports operator Baa Ltd. holds 4%.

The U.K. Treasury didn't return calls and the Airline Group couldn't be reached for comment. The Airline Group comprises British Airways PLC (BAY.LN), Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA.XE) unit bmi British Midland, Virgin Atlantic, TUI Travel PLC's (TT.LN) Thomson Airways, Monarch Airlines, easyJet PLC (EZJ.LN) and Thomas Cook Group PLC (TCG.LN).

At the same time, Deakin hopes to take the opportunity to double the work force's shareholding to 10% to better engage the 5,000 workers and ensure their interests are more closely aligned with the company's goals. Even though 80% to 90% of its employees are unionized, NATS hasn't suffered industrial action since 1981.

National Air Traffic Services was established in 1962 but rebranded as NATS in 2006. In July 2001 it became a public private partnership, which led to the division into the regulatory part, NATS (En Route) PLC, which is responsible for U.K. commercial airspace, and NATS Services Ltd., which provides takeoff and landing services at airports.

Following the terrorist attacks of 9/11 in the U.S., NATS was forced to restructure after declines in traffic volumes, which led to the government and BAA, a unit of Spain's Ferrovial SA (FER.MC), each investing GBP65 million in NATS and BAA receiving its shareholding.

NATS last year was responsible for guiding 2.2 million flights through U.K. airspace and the eastern part of the North Atlantic. It generated revenue of GBP767.3 million in fiscal 2009.

About GBP175 million of that revenue comes from NATS Services, which Deakin aims to grow, particularly in the Middle East and Asia-Pacific regions, where demand has bucked global trends over the past couple of years and the rates of growth provide attractive expansion opportunities.

NATS in July signed a deal with Oman's Ministry of Transport to redesign its airspace, or the routes that aircraft travel, in order to increase capacity, efficiency and safety. Deals like that were becoming increasingly important given the political fragility of the region and the proximity of Iran, Deakin said.

"There are also a lot opportunities for consultancy, designing airspace so that it's efficiently handled," Deakin said, adding NATS can also design airports to maximize efficiency.

Winning further business will be easier now that it has a more prominent profile following volcanic eruptions that grabbed the world's attention. Air-traffic controllers were in the spotlight in April when they closed airspace over much of Europe for all commercial flights on safety grounds after Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted, and ash that billowed into the sky was blown across the continent.

Deakin, 46 years old, had been in his job at NATS only two weeks when the crisis hit. Sitting in a room equipped for coordinating emergencies, the former Senior Vice President for Air Systems Division at Thales S.A. (HO.FR) recounts how he watched images of the volcanic eruption on a bank of televisions covering one wall and relayed the order to close airspace to air-traffic controllers in the 2,000-square-meter operations room below.

"It wasn't an easy decision," Deakin said, adding, "It hurt us commercially as well."

Deakin is confident the decision was the correct one. Even then Prime Minister Gordon Brown called to voice his support, Deakin said.

A spokesman for the Labour Party declined to comment.

"I'm absolutely convinced the decisions that we took were timely and proportionate and kept safety at the forefront," Deakin said.

He said the existence of ash "wasn't a figment of anyone's imagination" with the pilots of the first three Boeing Co. (BA) 747 aircraft--commercial flights flown by British Airways PLC (BAY.LN)--that landed at Heathrow after airspace was reopened all complaining of a sulphur smell as they descended from 6,000 feet.

BA declined to comment.

Still, Deakin said there would be significant differences if the volcano erupts again, namely that Europe would have a more consistent approach and that new rules would provide operators with more flexibility to allow aircraft to fly through volcanic ash provided operators, airlines and regulators were satisfied that a safe case had been demonstrated.

- By Kaveri Niththyananthan, Dow Jones Newswires; 4420 7842 9299; [email protected]

Southernbelle
5th Nov 2010, 15:50
Well according to Sky news today it looks like the coalition are aiming to sell us off next year. After nearly 30 years in NATS I for one am concerned about losing my job and pension rights. I just hope that everyone inside and outside the ops rooms will for once stand together to protect everyone's interests. Unlike some I do not want VR/ER as anyone who has changed to work part-time will know the payoff offered reduces considerably for anyone who works p/t.

Air.Farce.1
5th Nov 2010, 16:19
:\Exclusive: Government Hires Bankers For Air Traffic Control Sale | nats | philip_hammond | british_airways | Kleinman | Sky News Blogs (http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/Post:aa6c899d-0203-4c1d-a7f4-a1de88d59d94) :\

It is a busy day for the privatisation of state-owned transport infrastructure.
In the last hour or so, the Government has announced the sale of the Channel Tunnel rail link (known as High Speed 1) to two Canadian pension funds for just over £2bn.
And I can also reveal that the privatisation of the company which operates Britain's air traffic control services is about to take another step forward.
I'm told that Philip Hammond, the transport secretary, has authorised the appointment of Bank of America Merrill Lynch to advise the Government on a process that could see National Air Traffic Services (NATS) floated on the stock market as soon as next year. Ministers will also consider the sale of part or all of its 49 per cent shareholding to a single buyer, although the reduction of its stake below 25 per cent would require new legislation.
"The appointment is to advise Government on its options for the NATS shareholdings. All options will be on the table," a source close to the situation told me. The Government's stake is likely to be worth about £500m.
As I've reported several times over the last 12 months, the sell-off of NATS is complicated by the number of stakeholders involved as well as the regulatory and legislative implications of a sale.
A number of airlines, including British Airways, easyJet and Virgin Atlantic, own about 42 per cent of NATS. They don't speak with one voice and in the past easyJet has objected to a sale of those shares by other members of what is known as The Airline Group.
Among those interested in buying part of NATS will be Global Infrastructure Partners, the owner of London City and Gatwick airports.
BAA, the airports operator, also owns a small chunk of NATS, as does the management of the air traffic control operator, who are understood to be keen on a stock market listing for the company.
Nobody involved in the NATS process would comment today :hmm:

rattraffic
6th Nov 2010, 01:56
Does anyone remember an ad in Flight many years ago for ATCOs to become traders on the stock market? Apparently the industry thought we were good at taking risks!!!

Mantovani
26th Dec 2010, 13:20
So the runners & riders are Lockheed Martin, Global Infrastructure Partners & Serco although Serco say they are more interested in offering services to NATS.

I wonder if Serco's interest is why Management appear to be trying to open up a division between NSL & NERL staff.

ZOOKER
26th Dec 2010, 18:49
I bet they can't wait to buy NSL, A bargain.
Especially now it employs its own "Transport Solutions Director". :}