PDA

View Full Version : It's Fly-In Season Again

LowNSlow
16th May 2001, 00:34
After previous attempts in last autumn and winter, we were being rather optimistic really, now that summer(?) is here, how about a fly-in?

Given the continued presence of foot and mouth disease (don't listen to Tony, it's still out there) it may have to be a tarmac runway although White Waltham let me in on Sunday (Hi Cap'n). Any suggestions?

Weekend after next would suit me best, preferably on the Sunday and White Waltham as a location is good for me.

C'mon boys and girls, get the thinking caps on and start drawing lines on charts.

M14P
16th May 2001, 01:09
It's Aerofair weekend. How about dropping into North Weald. There's a flying display and lots to look at. The only downside is that you'll have to buy a ticket once you land. I guess it's a small price to pay to go to the light aircraft version of Farnborough.

I would also like to point out that I have no vested interest in the show despite sounding like an advert - I just think that it's a big, ambitious show that deserves some real support.

See you all over the weekend WP (wife permitting)

M14

Captain Airclues
16th May 2001, 02:00
Good to meet you on Sunday LowNSlow. I was a little concerned when I watched your little Cub disappearing into the distance towards all those Cb's, but I guess you must have survived.
I can be at White Waltham on the 27th to meet any PPRuNers if that is the chosen venue.

Airclues

AC-DC
16th May 2001, 17:01
M14P
I will be at North Weald this weekend. If you would like to meet say when and where.

LowNSlow
17th May 2001, 00:53
Good to meet you to Cap'n and thanks for the tea.

I managed to scoot in front of the clouds. Just got wet enough to wash the bugs off the wings. :) Once I got past the first clouds it was nice and sunny all the way home.

M14P, North Weald sounds good. I've only ever driven there before. Are there going to be slots allocated for flying visitors? If so, how do I go about booking one?

aerostar2
17th May 2001, 01:01
www.aerofair.co.uk (http://www.aerofair.co.uk)

has all the details.

Also can't resist:
www.aerostars.co.uk (http://www.aerostars.co.uk)

Hope to see you there

Garry

Whirlybird
17th May 2001, 21:05
Can't make it. Weather permitting, I'll be flying an R22 to Paris for the weekend.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

FNG
18th May 2001, 13:32
Going to North Weald on Saturday about 12-1230 local (Cap 10b G-BXFE) but unfortunately can't make W Waltham on 27th. Have fun those who go.

LowNSlow
18th May 2001, 23:30
FNG I'll be there around 1:30 on Saturday in a yellow Cub G-BEUI unless I don't fix the mag drop. If that happens I'll be driving.....

FNG
19th May 2001, 00:37
LownSlow, hope the mag is OK and hope to see you there. For recognition: I'm a slightly lardy late 30s bloke (like the other 2000 of them at Aerofair). The only recognition feature I can think of is that I'll carry the black techlog file around which says G-BXFE on the cover.

LowNSlow
1st Jun 2001, 02:47
FNG a belated apology for missing you (there were a lot of lardy 30 & 40 somethings around). The display was worth the £10 entrance.

I'm going to try for Swansea tomorrow (1/6/01) wx permitting to test out the Pilot III GPS I got at North Weald.

Whirly, how was the weekend in gay (in the old fashioned sense) Pareee?

aerostar2
1st Jun 2001, 23:36
LowNSlow

The Huttons would be delighted that you thought the display alone worth the entry fee.

Sadly we missed it (price of being on last); of course we've seen Xavier before but from all we've heard we missed an excellent show.

Nobody's mentioned Brian L; on the Sunday we were holding to take off and watched him call finals while over the runway at 100' on the reciprocal, pull to 45 degrees, put in two outside flicks and then reverse half cuban to land off a steep side slip from about 100'. Had us all smiling.

Garry

www.aerostars.co.uk (http://www.aerostars.co.uk)

Negative 'G'
2nd Jun 2001, 04:24
Well all I can say is what an exceptional guy.......it does'nt surprise me in the least,he's the type of bloke you'll never tire of watching :) :) :) :)

aerostar2
2nd Jun 2001, 04:36
Hmmm Neg G, I wonder if I know who UR

Wot about that Jefferies bloke then.

Whirlybird
2nd Jun 2001, 20:12
Hiya LowNSlow,

The weekend in Paris was great!!!

A group of us left from Wolverhampton along with others from Gloucester, meeting up at Rochester, mainly bigger helis - not many people crazy enough to want to fly to Paris in an R22. Two of us flew alternate legs, and I got the flight across the channel with a low cloud base and haze - scary in a helicopter. We got lost on the Paris Heli-routes, which meant one of my more memorable radio calls: "Er...Molyneaux, we're not where I just told you we were. In fact...er...we don't really know where we are". All this while approaching the Arc de Triomphe at 1500 ft. We then had an "interesting" steep descent into Paris Heliport. Saturday we turned into typical tourists, and Sunday flew back by the same route, with a few other interesting adventures like our flight plans getting lost so we were stuck at Le Touquet for hours, and better weather, so Ian got an easy channel crossing (and I got to take the photos).

Right, can't tell you any more now; just back from a week's course at Bristol for the CPL(H) Techs, taking them on Tuesday, and I vowed this weekend would be all study and NO PPRUNING!! But I just wanted a teeny weeny look... No more till next week; I mean it (I think).

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

LowNSlow
6th Jun 2001, 23:43
Glad you had a good trip Whirl and I hope you did well on the exams.

I didn't want to appear blase about the other displays, they were all superb. I briefly met Brian L at Belfast a few years ago (the Fennec was there as well). Charming chap and one of the best display pilots around. Wish he'd write some more books though. Watching the Yaks starting and shutting down on cue was really neat. There's just something special about the sound of a radial engine....

Anyway, what about this fly-in then? Any suggestions?