PDA

View Full Version : UA93 ATC on BBC

The Guvnor
16th Nov 2001, 23:39
Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1655000/video/_1659234_hijack07_willis_vi.ram)

"A Boeing 747 like this one..." (cu tape of B757...) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Capt Airclues - indeed so, my error, now corrected! :o

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: The Guvnor ]

Captain Airclues
16th Nov 2001, 23:47
I think that these recordings are from the ATC tape rather than from the CVR.

Airclues

WAIF-er
17th Nov 2001, 01:20
good old beeb as accurate as ever!!

Tom the Tenor
17th Nov 2001, 02:23
Listening to that I started crying all over again.

Wiley
17th Nov 2001, 09:09
Tom, I think you and I might be on a similar wavelength. If ever, God forbid, I'm unlucky enough to die as a crewmember of an aircraft that is involved in something 'newsworthy', I'm damned sure I don't want my family being 'treated' to hearing my last words broadcast over the mainstream media.

I thought these tapes, (certainly Cockpit Voice Recorder tapes - I'm not sure about the status of ATC tapes), were made to aid accident investigators. They are not there to provide titillation to the general public.

Accident investigators have to listen to these distressing conversations. The rest of can – should - do without them.

Roadtrip
17th Nov 2001, 09:13
Just remember that the primary purpose of news organizations is not to carefully report news . . . . it's to sell laundry soap, hemmoriod cream, herpes medication, drugs for neurotic wimps, etc.

Enter after the Virgin
17th Nov 2001, 17:36
Was Flt 93 shot down ? check out this site to hear various conspiracy theories.....www.flight93crash.com (http://www.flight93crash.com) :confused:

liftyryce
18th Nov 2001, 04:49
It sounded like an ATC tape to me also; but I did wonder if, for the most part, we were actually listening to one of the hijackers attempting to make a PA to the passengers. The content seemed consistent with someone impersonating the Captain and trying to influence the passengers that were attempting to retake control of the aircraft ?
Also, I know it's a very easy thing to do; to press the wrong button on the comms. box and transmit your PA instead of making it to the pax.

Anyone think something similar? - or am I on a different planet ! :confused:

smiths
18th Nov 2001, 04:55
No, it's not a matter of pressing the wrong but a matter knowing that he needs to push the PA button.

Unwell_Raptor
18th Nov 2001, 12:24
The United States has an open government, freedom of information culture. That is sometimes uncomfortable for some of us, but it is a lot better on balance than the morbid secrecy tht has traditionally obtained in Britain, and even more so in other countries.

cossack
18th Nov 2001, 16:18
I'm with Wiley on this one, albeit from the other end of the microphone.

If I was ever in a situation like this, I think it would be hard enough to cope afterwards without having to hear yourself vainly trying to call an aircraft not knowing what has happened to it. The same happened with Egyptair as well.

UR
I don't think morbid secrecy is the problem, its the morbid fascination that some have which is being fuelled here by the media. CVRs and ATC tapes are recorded to assist in solving incidents not for broadcasting to the public. How does this help solve anything?

Transcripts are OK because they have de-personalised things a bit, but not actual recordings.

What benefit does it have to the public? None.
Is it news? I don't think so.

People can imagine what went on on the flight deck without having to hear it.

PaperTiger
18th Nov 2001, 23:07
What benefit does it have to the public? None.
Is it news? I don't think so.

Quite.
At the risk of being labelled a conspiracy kook, it gave me pause that this tape was released to the media the same week 60 Minutes carried an interview with two of the F-16 pilots flying CAP over Washington on Sept 11. The third pilot was never even mentioned except for an opening reference to there being 3 F-16s up at the time.

Since neither the ATC tape nor the pilot interviews added any information beyond what had been known for weeks, this looks like a bit of 'spin' to me. Just wish they would debunk this shootdown thing once and for all.

RVR800
19th Nov 2001, 17:48
I reckon the release of these tapes
at the start of Ramadan and when
bombing of members of the terrorist mercenaries in Afghanistan is at its
height is intentional...

Its designed to focus public/media
opinion back onto the job of closing down
Al'Quida and to to quit whining about
the (unfortunate) collateral damage

i.e. IMHO when you listen to the tape
you feel that a war against these people