PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Brisbane

LowNSlow
17th Aug 2010, 07:55
It looks like I'm off to Brisbane for two or three years so does anybody have any advice about licences, aircraft rental etc?

I'm looking to get a Certificate of Validation while I apply for a Special Pilots Licence. I've heard that CASA used to be horrifically slow processing this paperwork, is this still the case?

I know that I've got to authorise the UK CAA to release my details to get the ASIC security clearance. Does anybody have any recommendations of who to use in Brisbane to process the ASIC as again, I've heard that CASA are snail like in this.

172driver
17th Aug 2010, 11:57
First - check over on the Downunder & Godzone GA part of PPrune, you'll find loads of local knowledge there.

That said:

CASA CoVs are valid for three months only. As I said on another thread, do NOT apply too soon, as they are required by some regs to process the application when it comes in (IOW you cannot apply for a CoV now with a start date in, say December)
ASIC: this is a bit of a minefield. Mine was processed by CASA - but then lost in the mail (within Oz). CASA had to issue a new one. The chaps over at the D&G forum will probably tell you to steer clear of CASA, I must have been lucky, as they were very helpful and quick.

On a more general note, you're a lucky bu**er! The area around BNE is perhaps the best in Oz to rent airplanes, loads of possibilities.

sargon
17th Aug 2010, 13:44
If you haven't seen this then the CASA website has a section on converting foreign licenses.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Converting foreign licences (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90024)

Also you might want to look at RA AUS Recreational Aviation Australia (http://www.auf.asn.au/)
You can only fly day VFR 2 seaters and you cant fly in controlled airspace unless you have a PPL as well but you probably find it cheaper and it depends what type of flying you are wanting to do. Some of the top end machines will do 130kts and members tour round Australia quite happily. You can also get an ASIC through them I think.

I have found both organisations very helpful whenever I have phoned them.

I have an Australian PPL and am a member of RA Aus so do both.

The main GA field at Brisbane is Archerfield but I havent been there for ages so have no idea what it is like now. I live in Sydney and so go to Bankstown and was lucky enough to have an Australian PPL from when I was out here previously. In fact I got my UK PPL on the strengh of my Australian one.

Hope this is of some help.

LowNSlow
17th Aug 2010, 13:54
172driver the big ones appear to be Redcliffe, Archerfield and Coolangatta. Heck Field looks like a good place but it's based aeroplanes only. Hmmm I wonder how my 100hp Auster will cope with a Queensland summer...... Not very well I suspect!

172driver
17th Aug 2010, 16:39
Personally only know Redcliffe, and they have some very nice a/c there :ok:

Are you taking your Auster with you :eek: ?

Tinstaafl
18th Aug 2010, 05:59
A little further north are Caboolture, Caloundra & Maroochydore. West of Brissy at the top of the escarpment is Toowoomba. All bit further to drive but just in case you wish to expand your options.

Redcliffe Aero Club has a good reputation. Been 20 years since I worked there but from what I've read of other's more recent experience that doesn't seem to have changed.

LowNSlow
18th Aug 2010, 07:55
Thanks for the pointers chaps.

I don't think I'll be taking the Auster. Probably put her in the back of the hangar on blocks for a couple of years unless somebody wants a bargain!

Burpbot
18th Aug 2010, 15:11
Try Gil Layt at Archerfield, very friendly and used to taking care of Poms on tour!

19th Aug 2010, 03:12
When you get to OZ check in at Redcliffe and go and see Pat Harrington. He is the local Auster officanadio and I am sure will give you some good advice on local aviation. Another good place is the QAV located at Watts Bridge, good for local flyins and a great bunch of vintage aircraft people.