PDA

View Full Version : Lifejackets mandatory?

jerezflyer
16th Aug 2010, 14:32
I am planning a flight from Jerez to Tangier, and was wondering about the rules regarding lifejackets when flying over water. Obviously I have to cross the straits of Gibraltar, but at sufficient altitude so I can glide either way in case of engine failure. Does anybody know the rules that apply? Is it at the dicretion of the PIC? Does JAR OPS apply to private flights commanded by PPL?

Pilot DAR
16th Aug 2010, 15:24
This will sound sarcastic, sorry, no offense intended, but there's no way around it...

Why would you not want to carry lifejackets for overwater flight? The fact that you are within gliding distance of shore does not mean you're going to make it, won't be vectored further than you plan by ATC, or that shore will be the best place to land when you glide to it, and water is still a choice.

Take the lifejackets....

IO540
16th Aug 2010, 15:30
No legal requirement on private ops (G or N) but it would be mad to not carry a raft.

Joshilini
16th Aug 2010, 15:33
Like the previous two posters have said, it would just be wise to take one.

It's better to be going down into the water knowing you have a life jacket as opposed to going down into the water wishing you had a life jacket.

Have a fun and safe flight!

BillieBob
16th Aug 2010, 16:14
The legal requirement for private flights is that lifejackets shall be carried for everyone on board when flying over water beyond gliding distance from land suitable for an emergency landing (Schedule 4 (2)(a) v) aa)). The terrain on both sides of the Straits is unsuitable for an emergency landing for some distance inland from the coast and you would be wise to confirm a suitable forced landing area on each side before assuming that you will be able to meet the requirements of Schedule 4. It would be easier, safer and infinitely more sensible to carry lifejackets.

bookworm
16th Aug 2010, 16:44
Annex 6 Part II only recommends the carriage of lifejackets for a flight in a single-engined landplane over water beyond gliding distance from the shore. It requires them on an extended flight over water (> 50 nm or 30 min from land).

Does anybody know the rules that apply? Is it at the dicretion of the PIC? Does JAR OPS apply to private flights commanded by PPL?

Annex 6 is the minimum requirement for an international GA flight. The state of registration of the aircraft may impose stricter requirements, as does the UK -- note the UK requirement applies to twins as well.

JAR-OPS does not apply to private flights. EASA OPS, coming in 2012 will do so, and will mandate the carriage of lifejackets for a flight in a single-engined landplane over water beyond gliding distance from the shore.

B2N2
16th Aug 2010, 16:47
Can't find the article right now but something like 90+ % survive the initial impact only to perish due to hypothermia/exhaustion/drowning etc.

Light reading:
ditching an aircraft (http://www.pilotfriend.com/safe/safety/ditching.htm)

JW411
16th Aug 2010, 18:01
Well, I have sat there on many a day at Bembridge (or Sandown) enjoying my coffee and have yet to see anyone arrive wearing a lifejacket.

172driver
16th Aug 2010, 18:14
The terrain on both sides of the Straits is unsuitable for an emergency landing for some distance inland

Some of the widest beaches in Spain ??? Flat fields (on either side) ??

The OP is planning to fly from Jerez to Tangiers, which strictly speaking isn't the Straits of Gibraltar (where, indeed it's unsuitable).

In any case, lifejackets are always a good idea when over open water :ok:

Maoraigh1
16th Aug 2010, 20:31
If an engine or electrical fire occurs, you might not want to stretch the glide. Carrying lifejackets if you might land on water is in my opinion useless. Wear them.