PDA

View Full Version : HF Radio portable to ferry Grand Caravan

Spanner748
16th Aug 2010, 09:55
Wondering how this portable HF Radio is fixed in the aircraft to ferry long distance. Please advise.

AdamFrisch
16th Aug 2010, 14:27
I think the radio is the easy bit, but normally you need to be able to wind out a long line antenna, which is a bit of a pain. On some routes you're now allowed to substitute for a sat phone. And if you're doing the north route on the transatlantic route, you don't need HF at all.

Romeo Tango
16th Aug 2010, 15:54
It used to be the case that amateur HF radios could be modified (eg by removing a link on the PCB) so they could operate on any frequency. This is then used with a trailing wire antenna.

I used to hire ancient valve sets from the splendid Mr Coggins who used to operate out of Coventry UK. There must be some outfit that does something similar today.

Bill

Spanner748
16th Aug 2010, 16:25
Infact, we are planning to ferry via North Atlantic Crossing route. From Canadian airspace to Europe then on to Asia. I guess this requires HF radio.

Romeo Tango
16th Aug 2010, 16:29
You do NOT need HF routing Canada Greenland Iceland UK

I have not been through the Middle East / Pakistan /India for ten years or so but when I was last there I did not need HF

Bill

Mark 1
16th Aug 2010, 16:35
As was alluded to above, if you route CYFB - BGSF - BGKK, you aren't required to carry HF and they allow some use of sattelite phones in poor VHF coverage areas (see http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/CurrentNAT%20IGA.pdf page 11).

You could probably also get bored long haul pilots listening out on 123.45 to relay your messages.

Keef
16th Aug 2010, 16:43
The HF radio isn't difficult - you can buy or rent. The more difficult part is the aerial installation. There are some rogues around who will sell you a radio and install it (at a price!) but you'll find when you get out over the ocean that you can't raise ay ground stations.

I examined such an installation some years ago - nice radio, nice kit, installed totally wrongly and never going to work over more than a few miles.

Talk to an established ferry company who have done it aplenty, and ask who they use.

As said, there are routes where you don't need HF.

spittingimage
16th Aug 2010, 17:36
Of course you could always go VFR :eek: and AFAIK no need to talk to anyone ! :ok:

Spanner748
17th Aug 2010, 03:42
Thanks to all for all the advices. Highly appreciated. We are actually planning to ferry one Grand Caravan 208B to Asia from Central America. Thanks much to all again. We are not certain whether without ferry tanks we will be able to do the North Atlantic Crossing! Guys, we need to know a good handling company too!

spittingimage
17th Aug 2010, 09:39
Check your Private Messages.

AdamFrisch
17th Aug 2010, 14:13
You can certainly do the North Atlantic crossing without ferry tanks. The longest leg is only about 400-450nm, if you chose it to be.

wwelvaert
17th Aug 2010, 16:48
For the North-Atlantic crossing, I would definitely recommend against using a "portable" HF. They're cumbersome (and expensive) in light aircraft.

As others have mentioned, the far northern route doesn't require HF, and it's also safer / more comfortable because airports are spaced closer. In a Caravan you'll be able to maintain VHF contact practically the entire time. I always take a satphone along as well.

Atlantic ferry flight routes (http://220kts.com/ferry-flights/atlantic-ferry-routes.html)

The only caveat may be if you are flying a slow airplane in wintertime, it can be advantageous to install a ferry tank & HF radio so you can take the more direct (southern) routes. Otherwise, take the far northern route and enjoy the scenery :)