PDA

View Full Version : Different!

snapper1
16th Aug 2010, 08:46
YouTube - Tyrolean Alps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMk6ehMzIdI)

AdamFrisch
16th Aug 2010, 15:19
Stop looking at the instruments, mate.:eek::ugh:

Fuji Abound
16th Aug 2010, 15:26
Is the video a little suspect?

The glider is inverted, but I guess anything is possible if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What is the glider doing flying along invertered - is this common - or is it a top of a loop? I wonder.

dublinpilot
16th Aug 2010, 15:53
What a wonderful demonstration of how hard it is to see traffic.

Seems that the time between when the traffic is a visible dot on the screen until it is passed is just 8 seconds.

Ok, the human eye can probably see better than that low resolution video, but it would still be a very small dot, hard to stop, and easily mistaken for a bug, prior to those 8 seconds.

Even with a proper scan, you could easily be checking out the right hand side of the window during those 8 seconds.

snapper1
17th Aug 2010, 13:05
Dublinpilot,

I agree. Its a great example of how vital our lookout is. That's why I thought it worth posting.

In answer to the earlier post, no, its pretty unusual for gliders to be flying around inverted - especially more or less straight and level. If that's a loop its a bit flat at the top!

Blink182
17th Aug 2010, 14:04
I have a theory as to why the glider is inverted ............

He must be in a bit of sink ..........so the logical thing is to get inverted, and hey presto, he should be gaining altitude ...! :):):)