PDA

View Full Version : IFR Notes / Slides / Help needed

plane_driva
16th Aug 2010, 03:21
Hi guys - first post here (well second actually - I dont know where my first one went !)

I went through a sausage factory school 2 years ago and obtained my CPL MECIR, ATPL subjects etc. I have not flown for approx 12 months now.

I am looking to renew my MECIR and I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with their slides / handouts etc that they received during their initial training as we received nothing in that respect.

I was hoping someone had some material that covered all the tips and tricks related to flying IFR. Things such as wind correction timings in sector entries, push outs, tips for flying NDB approaches, DME arcs etc.

I am a zero command hour CPL holder (obviously zero MECIR hours etc) and given I haven't flown for so long I know I have a lot of work to do to get current again. I was hoping to do some study before I waste any money in an aircraft learning to fly IFR again!

Any help / material would be appreciated.

chimbu warrior
16th Aug 2010, 03:27
Get hold of a copy of the Instrument Flight Guide, published by the Aviation Theory centre. An excellent study resource.

plane_driva
16th Aug 2010, 03:54
Hi chimbu - thanks for the reply. I actually have both the ATC and Bob Tait IFR books. They both focus heaviily on the theory of flying, but I was hoping to get a copy of someones actual ground school procatical notes. When I did my initial the instructor had overhead projector slides, but we were never given the opportunity to get a copy of these. I thought that someone may have a set of PDF / Power Point slides on the topic.

White and Fluffy
16th Aug 2010, 04:31
Is this for your personal study or to save you having to make your own when doing your META!?

Most overheads/notes are usually created by the individual instructor when they were doing their upgrade, or are proprietry of the flying school. So I don't think its fair to ask for a copy of someones hard work, that took them many hours to create and many nights studying the AIP's and texts to gain the knowledge to teach this topic.

Maybe it is a good lesson for your next type endorsement, course, etc;

TAKE GOOD NOTES and LISTEN IN CLASS!

My advice is goto a good flying school and book in a few ground theory lessons with their MECIR instructor, for about $60 an hour it will save you hundreds in the air. Even do a few lessons on their instrument sim trainer before the test to get your eye back in.

The last question is if you are not flying and have not flown since your CPL why keep your MECIR current?

plane_driva
16th Aug 2010, 06:05
These are just for my personal study on the topic. I want to do some sim work at home before I book in somewhere - and even that is proving difficult. Redcliffe Aero Club here in Brisbane is booked out solid for 2 months.

I certainly did not mean to offend anyone nor 'steal' anyone's 'hard work' - I just thought that someone may have been able to give me a hand with material I otherwise don't have access to.

Now..... for question 2.....bracing for impact.......
I have been successful in gaining an advanced cadetship position with JetStar / CTC that hinges on me completing my IFR renewal. I have no misconceptions about the work that I am goign to have to put in to what will be my first renewal and I would just like to know if there is someone out there who can give me a hand.

Jabawocky
16th Aug 2010, 07:23
Give Rick or Cameron a call at Avalon Air Services based at Caboolture.

You can hire them for tuition on a day rate to get you back up to speed.:ok:

White and Fluffy
16th Aug 2010, 07:40
Ok, here are two freebies:

Rate 1 AoB = IAS/10 + 7
Drift = Crosswind component/Groundspeed (in nm per min)

P.S. I cost that advice at $15 working on Jetstar/OAA prices! :rolleyes:

Ando1Bar
16th Aug 2010, 07:42
The latest Aviation Theory Centre IREX book has much more of a focus on the practical side of flying. Otherwise, check your PMs.

Phil O'Rupp
16th Aug 2010, 10:08
The FAA publish an Instrument Rating Study Guide which is available to download free on the net. Obviously it's American so some of the air law may be a little different but overall it's quite a useful resource.

Instrument Flying Handbook (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/instrument_flying_handbook/)

plane_driva
16th Aug 2010, 10:34
Hi - thanks for the replies and PM's guys - hugely appreciated.

I have a copy of the ATC book - mine is Sixth Edition 2006. Do you know if there is a later one with any change to the material ?

Thanks again guys.

ReverseFlight
16th Aug 2010, 10:35
plane_driva, not to dishearten you but you really have a lot of work to do as you are basically starting from zero. Even if you had been flying VFR, picking up IFR after a long break is hard.

My advice is to find a good IR instructor, get plenty of practice in the sim and get confident before going up in the air. Only regular IR flying will get you back into shape and there are no short cuts. Studying books IMHO is not a practical way to get IR proficient in the air - you've got to get your instrument scan up to speed.

Take copious notes of all the tips and tricks your instructor mentions to you, and you will find yourself building up a substantial but practical manual for yourself on renewals.

plane_driva
16th Aug 2010, 10:38
Thanks again for the advice, and believe me I am taking it on board. I have no misconceptions as to how much work is required here. I was hoping to read up again on all my theory before I started paying money for ground school instruction. I would like to show my new instructor that I am at least willing to put in some hard yards before fronting up to them.

jibba_jabba
17th Aug 2010, 07:57
I agree, the FAA have great free books to download.... also, dont forget to smash the Jep's! The Jeps is where you will eventually be required to operate to so start there as well :-)