PDA

View Full Version : Is Damyns Hall still open?

Bilbo Bagover
15th Aug 2010, 14:20
I have been trying to call Damyns Hall for the last couple of days but nobody there is answering the phone. Are they still open and if so do you need to PPR? Does anybody have a number that works?
Thanks
Bilbo

Teejman
15th Aug 2010, 16:03
I e-mailed them in them Thursday morning and have not had a reply yet.

IO540
15th Aug 2010, 16:07
I read something recently about their ATZ being withdrawn - in the notams I think.

No idea what that means.

Sir George Cayley
15th Aug 2010, 16:11
They have a website with a PPR request form Damyns Hall Aerodrome - Flying in (http://www.damynshall.co.uk/flying_in.html)

I heard they handed back their CAA licence recently since the law changed but apart from that the website is up and running.

Sir George Cayley

steveking
15th Aug 2010, 17:01
I operate from Damyns Hall. Buisness as usual there. I know it says PPR but it's pretty relaxed. It's air to ground so blind calls but there is plenty of training going on so you'll probably get a reply. I'll see if I can sort out some better numbers. I know the airfield manager has been away for few days.

Bilbo Bagover
15th Aug 2010, 19:27
Thanks everyone. Trying to go first thing Monday so if anyone has any update that would be great.
Bilbo

Bilbo Bagover
15th Aug 2010, 19:41
Thanks everyone for your help so far. Trying to go first thing Monday in a helicopter so if anyone has any update that would be great.
Bilbo

steveking
15th Aug 2010, 20:31
Bilbo,

I've sent you a PM.

StardustAviation
19th Nov 2013, 18:01
No landing fees, Avgas at ca 1.90, friendly staff. However, ATZ has been removed but frequency remains HORNCHURCH RADIO on 119.550

Be aware that Damyns Hall Aerodrome is close to London City Airport so you are unable to approach from the west.
There is a 2500 ft. limit as the London TMA is overhead. Please check your charts for airspace before you arrive.
Coordinates 51 31 43 N 000 14 44 E ICAO Code EGML
RUNWAY 21 Left hand circuit. RUNWAY 03 Right hand circuit
CIRCUIT HEIGHT 1000FT. QFE ELEVATION 56FT ASL

John R81
20th Nov 2013, 16:50
A great airfield with a great cafe.

I suggest that you add something to the airfield data to warn Heli driver's how to taxi from the active runway to parking, and where to park. The downwash from a heli might be 'troublesome' for some of the microlights based there.

First time I went in someone came on frequency to ask me to move (for that reason). Very happy to comply, but forewarned might be even better.

John

C42
20th Nov 2013, 16:58
Fuel is £1.80 and free landings

Very relaxed, (that describes the airfield Manager LOL) that's why he is hard to contact.

Im based there, not many people get PPR, not really required unless there has been serious weather (normally stays useable all year)

Café is normally shut Mondays

tmmorris
20th Nov 2013, 18:53
Shame about the Mondays - I was just thinking I might go next Monday (have a PA28 and all day to kill!). Another time.

AdamFrisch
20th Nov 2013, 20:28
I was in a few years back when I lived in England with the rented C152 a couple of times. Great little airfield. I do remember the power lines and the pole on the approach end to the longer rwy surprising me first time, but once you knew about it it was fine. I distinctively remember that a cup of tea was 60p in the caff. Don't see that much anymore.;)

If I'd kept the Commander, it would have made it in and out of Damyns Hall without any problem. That would have been a fun visit. With the Aerostar not so much.:sad::}

BroomstickPilot
21st Nov 2013, 07:51
Hi Guys,

May I please ask, is Damyns Hall the old RAF Hornchurch?

Regards,

BP.

rolling20
21st Nov 2013, 09:42
Hi BP,I think RAF Hornchurch is or was a few miles to the west/south west of Damyns Hall

chevvron
21st Nov 2013, 10:16
Some of the old RAF Hornchurch buildings are still in use as a hospital(St Georges?); they're about 1 nautical mile north west of Damyns. A road called 'Airfield Way' follows part of the old peri track and there's an 'Airfield Wood' in the middle of the old landing area.
There's another old airfield further west called 'Fairlop' but this one had hard runways whereas Hornchurch was grass and it's where 'Fairlop Waters Country Park' is now .

aerohopper
21st Nov 2013, 15:29
Not only is Damyns Hall a cracking field to fly to but on a clear day its always a thrill to fly so close to the centre of 'town. With no landing fee and a darn good choice of 'artery clogging fare ( boring healthy options too) its a regular log book entry for me -

BroomstickPilot
21st Nov 2013, 17:27
Many thanks rolling20 and Chevvron.

BP.