PDA

View Full Version : THS calculation on 330/340

tom2713
14th Aug 2010, 12:27
Recently proceeded on an A332 to PMI. I noticed that the captain used some kind of formula to convert the MAC takeoff from the loadsheet into the THS setting before inserting it into the box...

never noticed such thing on the 320. Does anyone of you 330-jockeys know this formula ?

Cheers

michelda
14th Aug 2010, 16:27
For A330:

(35-TO CG)/2

Ciao

crwjerk
14th Aug 2010, 17:10
Not written anywhere as far as i know...... If it's not calculated automatically on the load sheet, just read it from the checklist. I'm sure a formula is hardly an approved method. Please correct me if i am wrong.

shortfuel
14th Aug 2010, 17:42
crwjerk,
it takes less than a minute to figure out that A330 THS setting is a linear function of MACTOW. So if the LTS software uses a formula, why can't you use it yourself when it is that simple? It is an approved method as this is the exact formula not an approximation.

AND...you primarily get your THS setting from the ECAM not from the loadsheet.

What michelda said is 100% correct (for all A330 variants) and I'd just add that your trim would be always UP (or zero).

http://nsa17.casimages.com/img/2010/08/14/100814074315186169.jpg (http://www.casimages.com)

blurrrsotong
15th Aug 2010, 04:02
So why did AB come up with a separate "THS" linear scale (and its added confusion) instead of just letting the MAC be?

crwjerk
15th Aug 2010, 04:25
100% correct, yes. My point is that If you have nothing to compare with the ECAM, ( if no auto loadsheet ).... I'd be reading it from the bottom of the checklist, no relying on someone's maths, which as we have seen in many cases, can easily be mistaken.

tom2713
15th Aug 2010, 07:17
Michelda,

thats what i was looking for... mille grazie, mate !

Mad (Flt) Scientist
17th Aug 2010, 04:02
So why did AB come up with a separate "THS" linear scale (and its added confusion) instead of just letting the MAC be?

Because although the two items - cg position and takeoff trim setting - are related they are NOT the same thing. If they always presented tail angle as "equivalent MAC" then you'd get all kinds of confusion, because that flap angles other than for takeoff the relationship doesn't hold, so someone landing might be confused that their "stab equivalent cg" wasn't their "real cg".

Stab angle (or THS angle, or units) is what it is, it's what the display shows you and what you need to set. I think pretty much every aircraft with a trimmable stab uses a direct indication of stab position, not some kind of cg equivalent units.