PDA

View Full Version : Microlight Challenge!

kilocharlie
14th May 2001, 12:25
In yesterday's crazy thunderstorm I had the pleasure of being out in the country looking at the spectacular lightening. I was pretty shocked to spy a microlight just skimming the cloud base over SW Leicestershire. I was a bit worried for the chap's wellbeing in the horrendous weather and he appeared to disappear into IMC. I fully admit to knowing virtually nothing about the capabilities of microlights so I may be concerned over nothing, maybe there are some pilots out there who can put me straight on this?

FNG
14th May 2001, 14:13
I know zip about microlights, but reckon that he can't have been having much fun. I found the storm disconcerting enough when it came gnashing at me between the Chilterns and Oxford, and I had the luxury of being able to turn tail and run away from it at 150 knots, which I did. Presumably the microlight got down OK, with the bugs cleaned off his goggles.

Genghis the Engineer
14th May 2001, 22:51
So far as the legalities are concerned, microlights are firmly limited to VMC, so it sounds rather as if this chap (or chappess!) was being a bit daft. With nothing equivalent to an AI, flight in IMC is very dangerous - the easiest way to kill yourself in a flexwing is to roll inverted.

As to the handling, the nature of a flexwing (which I presume it was if you identified it as a microlight from a distance) is that it will take quite horrendous turbulence - certainly with a good pilot it will handle as bad turbulence as most light aircraft. It is a rather exhausting experience, but survivable.

However, the other great attribute of a microlight is the ability to land in a tiny field. Personally, I'd have done so, preferably next to a pub, and gone home the next day.

G

Solent 01
15th May 2001, 03:45
I'm with Genghis on this 1, Microlights are strictly VFR, no instruments to help you if you happen to become IMC. I operate a Thruster (purely for the fun) with a 80hp Jabiru and in the conditions described, it would be far from fun, I have A IMC rating and would'nt dream of flying into a storm, even in my AA5A, which is IFR equipt, let alone a Microlight.

barbox
15th May 2001, 04:31
Solent, wonder if you have attended any AYA bashes in your AA5A?.

I am thinking of attending one sometime this year in mine (well the 5th share of mine).

EricTheRed
15th May 2001, 04:36
This is probably the one I tried to follow in my car! It was a microlight and was flying at the cloudbase, in a spectacular electrical storm, roughly from Bosworth, Leics (the old battlefield) in a North Easterly direction. I thought I was going to see a precautionary landing - but it just disappeared into the crud!

I'd like to buy the pilot a beer! Who was it? The view of the storm must have been first rate!

kilocharlie
15th May 2001, 20:28
Thanks for your replies. I now know a little more about microlights. I am sure that the "brave" chap(ess) in question must have got home or to a pub safely or we would have probably heard about it by now.
Happy Flying :)

[This message has been edited by kilocharlie (edited 15 May 2001).]

Solent 01
18th May 2001, 16:01
Barbox, AYA?

What does it stand for?

Beacon Outbound

Rod1
18th May 2001, 17:07
AYA stands for American Yankee Association, an international organisation representing about 2000 "Grumman" owners in 17 countries around the world.

As Solent 01 said he had an AA5 which is a Grumman aircraft, Barbox asked if he was a member. I to am thinking of going to my first AYA event in the near future, I think one is being arranged at Sherbun, so Barbox will not have far to go! Hope to see you there.

Our friend in the IMC weight shift is a lot braver than I am.

Genghis the Engineer
18th May 2001, 17:10
Or considerably more stupid.

Dog On Wheels
20th May 2001, 08:35
If you want to read some hair-raising stuff about microlighting, I would reccomend 'Propellerhead' by Antony Woodward (Harper Collins). Some of the things he describes are hillarious until you realise that he, or his mate, actually did them. Anyone else read it?

Bluebeard
20th May 2001, 22:02
I've just read 'Propellorhead', its a pretty good read, but its a bit of a guilty pleasure as some of their exploits are absolutely shocking. You come away from the book thinking that when it comes to microlighting then airmanship goes out of the window...surely not a true picture?