PDA

View Full Version : Solo at 16?

Hannah222
12th Aug 2010, 22:23
I'm 15 and would love to have my first solo flight on my 16th birthday. It's in June which is 10 months away and I've already had two lessons. Me and family agreed one lesson a month and maybe an extra at Xmas. Will that be enough time for me to go solo considering my age, time and lesson regularilty? Thanks xx

M14_P
12th Aug 2010, 22:34
Hi Hannah,

No reason why you can't achieve that, I tried to do it, but on my 16th the weather was rubbish, so I soloed the day after!
I'd suggest you space out the ab initio stuff (climb/desc, straight/level, med turns, stalling etc), then hammer the circuit out closer to the time. Twice a week closer to the time should do it, see how it goes. good luck. I managed to get a family member to video my first solo too which was great, looking back, so long ago.... :)

mad_jock
12th Aug 2010, 22:42
Shouldn't be a problem Hannar I have sent more than a few on there 16th.

Local newspaper turning up for photo's, dad standing there proud, mum trying not to look worried etc.

Get your head into your Air law books over a school holiday and get it out the way early.

Lew747
13th Aug 2010, 14:34
Hi Hannah,

You can do it! I flew solo on my 16th birthday. One of the best moments of my life! :) I had to make sure I had my medical and passed my Air Law exam before though. I was having around one lesson a month, so yes, it is achievable :ok:

Adrian N
13th Aug 2010, 15:22
Of course, if you can't wait until you're 16 you could always come to France and fly solo while you're 15.

That's the great thing about Euro standardisation - it's different everywhere!

Pilot DAR
13th Aug 2010, 20:36
Hannah,

Yes, you can do it. I nearly did, though poor weather in March delayed me a little. I offer the mentoring caution though that going solo is something for which you must be not only skills ready, but mentally ready too. Come the day of your birthday, make sure that you're in the right, relaxed, frame of mind, and you're not pressuring yourself.

It was the practice when I learned to fly that students have no influence over when they go solo, and indeed would not be told until suddenly they noticed the instructor getting out on the taxiway. It was this lack of expecttion of going solo, on a really yucky late winter day that caused me to ask for the new plane on the line. I figured He'd never send me solo that day, so I may as well see if I could fly something brand new.

I got the plane, and ended up flying my first solo on a brand new C-152, with 33 hours total time since new. It was also the first 152 to be imported into Canada. My instructor was apparently told off by the Chief Flying Instructor.

Enjoy the flying fratenity Hannah, there are lots of wonderful people...

Thoughtful_Flyer
13th Aug 2010, 20:55
I'm sure it is perfectly achievable but I really wonder if it is a good idea to have such a fixed idea about one date?

I flew gliders for many years and saw this happen several times, even to the point of taking the day off school. There was even a panic on one occasion about the time of day the person was born? I still don't know if, legally, that matters - arguably you are not 16 years old until that moment!

I don't have the slightest problem with somebody flying solo at the earliest possible age providing they are ready. I feel it is normally best if their first solo comes as a bit of a surprise with only a few moments notice, certainly that's how mine was. Is a huge self imposed pressure aiming for one day really helpful? There is nothing more unforgiving than aviation, always keep this in mind.

mad_jock
13th Aug 2010, 21:43
You might be one of the last as well Hannar because i for one after the last letter to instructors from the CAA I will never again have someone sub 18 years old in the LHS while I am teaching