PDA

View Full Version : Building flight hours in other countries towards the FAA CPL

OVERLORD32388
12th Aug 2010, 22:22
Im planning to build hours outside the US towards the CPL, already having my ppl and IR ( instrument rating) will those hours count towards the CPL, or those hours need to be built in the US?

Tinstaafl
13th Aug 2010, 02:21
They count as long as the conduct of the flight safisfies the FARs' logging of flight time requirements. In other words, if you did the same flight in the US and could log the flight towards meeting a requirement under the FARs, then you can log the same when flown in another jurisdiction.

Additionally, any training that you get overseas from an instructor qualified in that country can also be credited towards an FAA licence.

IO540
13th Aug 2010, 06:31
will those hours count towards the CPL

Definitely.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

englishal
13th Aug 2010, 06:41
Additionally, any training that you get overseas from an instructor qualified in that country can also be credited towards an FAA licence.
Though not if it requires an endorsement in the logbook. Only an FAA CFI can endorse a logbook. For the CPL you need an endorsement stating you have covered all the areas of training and that you are ready for the practical test.

Your hours count 100% towards the FAA CPL. The only things to watch are the FAA requirements - like 2 hr day VFR cross country, 2 hr night VFR cross country (I think), 300nm cross country, cross country definition of 50nm etc.....

IO540
13th Aug 2010, 06:54
For the CPL you need an endorsement stating you have covered all the areas of training and that you are ready for the practical test.

Indeed; you need that endorsement for every FAA checkride (or a written exam) and this has to be done by an FAA CFI, which in practice means that you have to fly at least the last few hours with him (nobody will sign you off as ready for a checkride otherwise ;) ).

I also vaguely recall that the last 3 hrs has to be flown within the last 60 days of the checkride. I don't recall whether this has to be with an FAA CFI but it would be the natural thing to do, and AFAIK this is what everybody does.

Tinstaafl
13th Aug 2010, 15:25
I wasn't even thinking of the various FAA instructor sign-offs that are needed, just whether or not foreign flights/training can count. What the others have written is quite correct: There are logbook signatures from an *FAA* CFI that are needed prior to the flight test as well as a certain minimum amount of training from an FAA CFI within the last couple of months before the test.

OVERLORD32388
18th Aug 2010, 21:39
thanks for the replies guys, I was thinkin about building up the hours in South America, bcause the rates are cheaper compared to the U.S, $19.000 usd down there for 250 hours compared to the outstanding $32000 usd here that Im gonna spend here, so as long as I cover the required IFR flight time and the xcountry time and a few hours with a FAA CFI I can take the commercial, but now what about the ratings??? from what I know if I have a FAA license and take a rating like the multi-engine somewhere else outside in the US, it wont count????

Tinstaafl
19th Aug 2010, 13:58
For an FAA qualification you have to do the flight test with an FAA approved examiner. Bear in mind that the US has what are effectively separate licences for single engine, multi engine, sea- or land plane, or any combination of these. That means separate flight tests for each.

As a rule of thumb, only *training* by an overseas instructor counts towards an FAA licence, not *testing*.

IO540
19th Aug 2010, 19:24
Yes, the test needs to be done by an FAA salaried examiner (very rare over here), or by a Designated Pilot Examiner (essentially a freelance examiner).

I understand Janeen Kochen (DPE) has been finally allowed to examine over here again, which is excellent news.

OVERLORD32388
21st Aug 2010, 18:00
before I back to the US, I have to get those hours accumulated validated??? meaning stamped by the flight club I would be flying at??? or any of u guys know any paperwork I have to do??????

PS thanks for the feedbacks, there were very helpful

Tinstaafl
21st Aug 2010, 18:28
Usually as long as the time is properly logged in your logbook with the instructor's name is sufficient. You'll still have to fly with an FAA instructor to meet any minimum time that may be specified tor the licence/rating you're training for eg 3 hrs with an FAA instructor prior to a CFI rating, and also to receive any required stamps/certifications.

julian_storey
21st Aug 2010, 19:57
you need that endorsement for every FAA checkride

Except the ATP checkride :)

B2N2
22nd Aug 2010, 02:49
Overlord, not to get you paranoid...
But this is what I did back in the day:
Ask the Chief Flight Instructor or somebody with similar authority endorse your logbook.
Something like: " I certify that the entries from this date to this date are true and correct" signed......
And a stamp never hurt.
Aviation Authorities in general (and the people that work for them) are worse then Immigration officials in a Third world country.
The more stamps and the bigger they are the happier they will be.

What will help also:
Log every flight correctly as in the remarks section do not simply put "cross country". Write down all airports you went to, any particulars about the route ( airways, VOR tracking etc) and the straight line distance.
Get an invoice for every flight and save them.
If anybody ever questions your logbook you can show them all the invoices.
Billed for 1.2 hrs. logged 1.2 hrs, billed 2.7 hrs logged 2.7 hrs etc.
Once you have your CPL you can get rid of it.

OVERLORD32388
30th Aug 2010, 07:19
B2N2:

Thats a good idea, Im gonna do that, just in case, since the FAA is now a pain in the ass these days, def, they will ask me about those hours. The FAA noy only are a pain in the ass to pilots but to everybody now f:mad:a:mad:, def keeping everything.

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks:O

OVERLORD32388
30th Aug 2010, 07:21
Tinstaafl (http://www.pprune.org/members/4150-tinstaafl):

Thats if Im doing it under part 61, right??? the 250hrs total???