PDA

View Full Version : Circuit training for visiting aircraft

Charles Sierra
12th Aug 2010, 20:44
Just a question ,Does your airfield allow visiting aircraft to carry out circuit training ?. There are many advantages to be had in terms of gaining experience non familiar places , runway lengths etc etc etc etc ,but also this could be a pain for home based aircraft wanting an easy join. The arguement I guess is fairly balanced ,but just wondered what other views were out there .Cheers C.S

Fuji Abound
12th Aug 2010, 20:48
Yes, many airfields allow circuit training - after all it is a great source of income.

liam548
12th Aug 2010, 20:51
If your airfield has an agreement with other airfields then it can be done for free I presume

mad_jock
12th Aug 2010, 20:52
If its gains revenue for the airfield, the ease of joining for local aircraft really is of little concern.

To be honest the visiting other fields is of little importance until you start doing XC's. Its all about cost and maybe also the situation at the home field in respect to costs and also useful time in the circuit.

Jan Olieslagers
12th Aug 2010, 20:59
Over here across the Channel, most recreational aerodromes are plagued by nimby's, forcing them to limit nuisance wherever possible. Most will not allow circuit training at all except for based pilots/aircraft, indeed many have limits on the number of planes, even local, in the circuit at any time. A few will allow visitors in their training circuit but then charge their (generally modest, to UK wallets) landing fee for every touch-and-go. This is the case for the very nice EBKH, for one example.
As another example, Midden-Zeeland EHMZ proudly announce free touch-and-go's for visitors - but only on Mondays, and on several more conditions, fuel uplift for one.
When preparing for my skills test, I got recommended to fly some simulated forced landings at a "strange" airfield, but never found one to allow me.

englishal
13th Aug 2010, 07:45
Some airfields, like Old Sarum, offer monthly landing cards for about £25. Buy one of these and you are free to use the airfield as much as you want for the month. You could do circuits until the cows come home.

We normally buy one for our group as it is nice to be able to pop in and do some circuits, or have lunch for no additional cost.

I believe Compton Abbas do this too, though I hear strange things about CA at the moment.

chevvron
13th Aug 2010, 10:30
At some airfields, there might be a 'condition' attached to the planning permission which prohibits non home-based aircraft from doing circuits, especially if there is an influential NIMBY presence.

liam548
13th Aug 2010, 10:40
Some airfields, like Old Sarum, offer monthly landing cards for about £25. Buy one of these and you are free to use the airfield as much as you want for the month. You could do circuits until the cows come home.

We normally buy one for our group as it is nice to be able to pop in and do some circuits, or have lunch for no additional cost.

I believe Compton Abbas do this too, though I hear strange things about CA at the moment.

wolverhampton do something similar too.

Charles Sierra
13th Aug 2010, 22:12
Thanks for all of your replies and comments :ok: