PDA

View Full Version : Rollason Condor

Bluebeard
27th Feb 2002, 15:04
Morning all

I'm thinking of getting a share in one of these beasties - apart from the all the usual good things to look for in groups (have received good gen on this from a recent Irv Lee masterclass, this comes highly recommended) - does anybody have any views and opinions? Is there a recurrent problem which could be expensive which I need to be aware of?

PS I've taken a look at the official Rollason website which was very helpful - very impressive for an aircraft that is out of production.

Thanks

A and C
27th Feb 2002, 15:09
take a good look at the back around the tailwheel and rudder post for rot apart from that its just the normal things to look for.

Stampe
27th Feb 2002, 19:32
A tremendous and much underated lovely handling aircraft.I learnt on them 27 years ago and have never stopped flying the breed, currently I own 2 outright one of which I,ve owned for nearly 20 years.As "cheap as chips" to buy my only real criticism of the breed is the 15 I.G. fuel tank which makes them a little shortlegged.Sure you,ll enjoy it providing you buy into a good one.Make sure its always been hangared,covers are just not up to the job for this sort of aeroplane.

[ 27 February 2002: Message edited by: Stampe ]</p>

outofdutyhours
28th Feb 2002, 08:44
Buy it!

I flew G-ATAU and G-AWFP for many happy hundreds od hours, a bit like a non aerobatic chippy!

A CAP-10 without the cost!!!!!!!

DOC.400
28th Feb 2002, 11:58
A delightful little plane with feel and character.

Go for it!

DOC

javelin
28th Feb 2002, 13:34
Before you part with the Nelsons, fly it and stall it straight and in turns - now see if you are happy with it, you may be unpleasantly surprised. For the price of a Condor, I would suggest a Jodel or a Cessna 120, both handle better and spares are easier. Sorry Condor lovers but I just can't see the attraction, nothing personal.

gasax
28th Feb 2002, 15:16
I remember more room in the cockpit than my Emeraude or D11 Jodel. Reasonable handling, needs more fuel for a decent range.

The brakes can be a little fiddly to set up and to stop snatching. The undercarriage legs can have problems with both the internal guides and the walls of the legs themselves - fixing these can be a little pricy.

Finally it is wood - do not buy into one that is not and has not been hanagared since the last recover. Whilst Condors do not suffer from the glue failure of the French machines, they can still rot and distort - often leading to bit manual trim tabs and the like being added!

Otherwise a much easier tail dragger to fly than most.

Enjoy it.

Bluebeard
28th Feb 2002, 20:24
Many thanks for the advice guys, positive or not.

Javelin, I've read elsewhere that the stall can be rather 'vigorous', however is this to the extent that the aircraft is bad news? Surely every aircraft will bite if pushed, but is it the case that the Condor needs little provocation?

Thanks

[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: Bluebeard ]</p>

Stampe
28th Feb 2002, 22:12
The Condor will drop a wing at the stall especially power on and depart into a spin if provoked.The spin is very predictable if fairly fast in rotation and the aircraft is limited to 3 turns I believe because of the high rotation rate.I must have carried out at least 500 spins over the years and never experienced any problems.This is one of the characteristics which made the type such an excellent trainer.Consider that the type has been around for over 35 years now ,much of it as a trainer and it is impressive the proportion that have survived and the very low accident rate of the type.As another pointed out cockpit width is spectacularly good.The aircraft is very light in pitch this coupled with the comparitive light weight/low inertia means speed can be lost quickly if proper attention is not being paid .Ailerons are delightful nearly as nice as my other favourite the Stampe.All in all a good handling english aeroplane it can,t be that bad I first soloed in one at 19 years old with 11 !! hours total so these things need to be kept in proportion.Both mine have a little placard put in by the manufacturers it says "Aeroplanes bite fools" true words.

[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: Stampe ]

[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: Stampe ]</p>

Zlin526
28th Feb 2002, 23:58
Listen to Stampe, he speak a lot of sense, and he should know about Condors! How's the new aeroplane Alan?

I've got about 50 hours in a Condor, found it to be delightful little aeroplane, much under-rated at the time by the flying club, hence it was bloody cheap to fly! Ok, a bit slow, and a bit short on headroom if you are 6ft+, but hey, what handling!! I've even been barrel-rolled in one by an enthusiastic owner. Reasonable short field performance, and tough as old boots in a crosswind (Unlike a Jodel!!)

And so what if it is a little different when it comes to the stall/spin? I'd rather fly an aeroplane like this that talks to you, rather than one that just flops around like the Cessna 120, which i have also flown. No contest - I'd go for the Condor anyday!

Stampe
1st Mar 2002, 23:09
Thanks for the kind words 526 havn,t flown the new one yet a combination of work,weather and airfield state(I don,t like getting my toys as dirty as I used to)!!. Of interest to you my friends will have their Zlin 226 back from a complete rebuild at the factory shortly effectively a new aeroplane at a very low price.That straight 6 engine sounds as good as a Merlin pure music.Keep the ball in the middle!!!!!.