PDA

View Full Version : Formation flying

good finish
12th Aug 2010, 19:18
i am based in the midlands and have c1000 ppl hours.
however i have never done any serious formation flying.
flown in formation but always informally and at some distance!
anyone out there recommend an option for getting some instruction - i would prefer to use my own aircraft - a grob 109
many thanks

Dave Clarke Fife
12th Aug 2010, 19:46
Pop into Wellesbourne Mountford and speak to Alan or Alec or Sye or any of the other guys at On Track. I'm sure they can sort you out........................:ok:

stickandrudderman
12th Aug 2010, 20:15
I believe ultimate high do formation flying training.

Pilot DAR
12th Aug 2010, 20:15
To maintian your good finish, get formation training (which I do acknowledge you are seeking) from a pro - no half measures here. Your retired RAF types are the place to start. This is something people think you can just go and fly, but there are techniques, and in particular disciplines, vital to keeping it safe. Best to find a trusted partner, and go as a team. This is certainly something which is best done with someone you've trained and particed with.

It's lots of fun, and I highly recommend it, but good training as required.

eharding
12th Aug 2010, 20:38
To maintian your good finish, get formation training (which I do acknowledge you are seeking) from a pro - no half measures here. Your retired RAF types are the place to start. This is something people think you can just go and fly, but there are techniques, and in particular disciplines, vital to keeping it safe. Best to find a trusted partner, and go as a team. This is certainly something which is best done with someone you've trained and particed with.

It's lots of fun, and I highly recommend it, but good training as required.

Exactly so.

The bi-annual North Weald formation weeks - traditionally the domain of Yaks and Extras, but now leaning towards RVs and other types - drawing on the experience of retired and serving military instructors, are an excellent institution, providing an intensive, disciplined formation training environment you probably won't find available to civilian pilots anywhere else. There are also numerous formation weekends at North Weald, with a strong RV presence.

Ideally, if you can find someone else with an identical or similar type to your own to undergo instruction with, then do so - trying to learn formation techniques in types with different handling and power responses will just add to the challenge.

More than almost any other aspect of aviation, close formation demands a huge amount in terms of training, organisation and trust to be done safely, but is also one of the most rewarding aspects as well.