PDA

View Full Version : Dual instructional hours count?

Airbusboy
12th Aug 2010, 18:04
Hello,

I'm nearly ready for my PPL(A) skills test and have spent 60+ hours with 11 PIC.

From the OAA website: Modular training

"Completion of the course leads to a CPL(A) with IR(A) and MCC – A ‘Frozen’ ATPL(A) - becoming unfrozen once you have achieved a minimum of 1500 hours of experience - 500 hours of which must be flying multi-pilot aircraft."

Feels like my PPL is dragging on and money is becoming tight to pay Dual rates.Once the PPL is out of the way I'm planning to build hours.

My question is do all the instructional/dual hours all count towards that minimum 1500 hours?

Apologies if it has been discussed previously, but couldn't find a thread on it.

FlyingStone
12th Aug 2010, 18:14
Of course, 1500 hours limit is total time, which can be dual, PIC, PICUS, SPIC, day, night, IFR, single-engine, multi-engine... Of course you have to take into account other requirements for issue of ATPL(A):
- 500 hours in multi-pilot aircraft
- 500 hours PICUS (or 250 hours PIC)
- 200 hours cross-country (of which 100 hours PIC)
- 100 hours night flying
- 75 hours of instrument time

But basicly, all the requirements are in JAR and are mostly pretty straight-forward.

Airbusboy
12th Aug 2010, 18:21
Thank you FlyingStone, that cleared it up. :) a bit of relief i guess.

rightbank
12th Aug 2010, 19:35
But unfortunately the dual won't count towards the 500 hours multi-pilot which must be on an aircraft which is certified for 2 crew (i.e. bigger stuff), which the C152/PA28/club trainer which you probably flew in won't be. We've all been there trying to short circuit the system. Rarely does it work!

Whopity
13th Aug 2010, 10:18
becoming unfrozen once you have achieved a minimum of 1500 hours of experience Nothing becomes unfrozen! What it means is that you can then apply for an ATPL, a new and seperate licence.

IO540
13th Aug 2010, 10:22
Are there any non-CofA planes in which one can log hours towards the ATPL?

BillieBob
13th Aug 2010, 13:50
JAR-FCL does not stipulate that any of the 1500 hours experience required for issue of the ATPL(A) must be flown in an aeroplane with a C of A. However, 35 hours of the PPL(A) course and the 200 hours flight time required for issue of a CPL(A) following modular training must have been flown in such an aeroplane. Assuming that the former is included in the latter and that at least a further 500 hours will have been flown in a multi-pilot aeroplane, then up to 800 hours of the 1500 hours requirement may have been flown in aeroplanes without a C of A.

IO540
13th Aug 2010, 15:18
I wonder how many ATPs have built hours in a microlight?