PDA

View Full Version : ATCA - Advice needed re shift patterns

Chipmonk_CK
12th Aug 2010, 14:58
Hi all,

I've always wanted to be an air traffic controller but somehow I ended up working for the marine industry for the last 12 years!

I've just seen an ATCA job advertised at my local airport and I'm tempted to apply as I think I fit the bill and fancy a change of career.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is the 7 days roster they opperate. I've been a typical 9-5 person my whole working life and have two young boys to consider so my question is: how does a 7 day shift pattern typically work? And is the ATCA role suitable for a working mother?

Thanks for reading!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Aug 2010, 16:25
A lot depends on whether the airport is open 24 hrs, in which case several of those "days" will be night duties. A typical shift pattern at a major ATC unit will go something like: 2 x mornings (say 0700-1400), 2 x afternoons (say 1400-2200) a 2 nights from 2200-0700. Then you would get the rest of the day off after that night duty, plus 3 days off. I loved it, but I did have a wife at home taking care of our sons.

I worked with plenty of "working mums", some of whom had husbands doing ATC work too.

One important thing - at NATS ATC Units, ATSAs (new term for ATCA) have responsible, well-paid jobs whereas at some smaller non-State places the ATSA may be a general dogsbody doing anything from answering the phones to making tea so make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for!

edinv
13th Aug 2010, 19:38
Why not apply for the job, and if 'paper sifted' go along for an interview.
You can ask about T&Cs then.
I think these days you would also be expected to be a MET Obsever as part of the job. - MET Offices gone at all, or nearly all UK civil aerodromes.

niknak
13th Aug 2010, 22:00
One important thing - at NATS ATC Units, ATSAs (new term for ATCA) have responsible, well-paid jobs whereas at some smaller non-State places the ATSA may be a general dogsbody doing anything from answering the phones to making tea so make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for!

Sorry Bren me old mate, but that's got to be a contender for the most condescending quote on Pprune this year, it's also cobblers.

Chipmonk

Don't be put off.
There are some differences in the type of jobs some NATS and non NATS ATSAs do, but it entirely depends upon the airport they're working at.
Although they aren't as well paid as NATS staff, non NATS airport ATSA do have a very responsible jobs and often they have a much broader knowledge of aviation and ATC purely because they get involved in so much more of whats going on at an airport.

I suspect that it's Southend Airport you are refering to, they are now owned by Stobart Air and in general things seem to be OK within ATC - the staff turnover seems to be relatively low, which is always a good indication of how happy the people there are.
At interview and in the process of selecting the best candidate, the employer cannot discriminate against you for having a family and they have to structure their questions very carefully with this in mind, there should be someone from HR at the interview to ensure that such things are observed.
They'll almost certainly ask you how you would cope with shift working, just tell them that you have arrangements in place, the same applies to any questions about future ATCO training - tell them you'll manage.

Although most employers the size of Stobart do their best to accomodate the requests of employees with regard to family matters, but you will be expected to work shifts and it's up to you to manage your child care responsibilities without disrupting the workplace (emergencies excepted).
The tail will not be allowed to wag the dog.

Being a qualified Met observer would be a help but it's by no means a pre requisite as you will be sent on a course.

Southend would be a great place to work and train as an ATSA and an ATCO, they have good mix of aircraft types/businesses operating from there and they have ambitions for the future.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Aug 2010, 07:45
<<Sorry Bren me old mate, but that's got to be a contender for the most condescending quote on PPRuNe this year, it's also cobblers.>>

If anyone has a similar opinion I humbly apologise because nothing could be further from my mind.

andrijander
14th Aug 2010, 10:02
H.D.:

I didn't see it as that but as just some sound advice. Be careful what you bargain for. Dunno in the UK, but there are providers and "providers" out there. Better you know which one you work for before it is too late. Granted: it may be common sense. Tough sometimes is best to be reminded!

A.